What makes the woodvill such a sought after mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Like anything else, marketing. People always want what they can't have and you cannot just HAVE a woodvil. The woody needs a year minimum to grow in Reoville. That's just the beginning. You have to pray to the reo fairy many times. Sometimes he even responds to emails. You then book your trip to Reoville and that's when the real journey begins. Make sure to bring your protractor and dial gauge to discern the Reoville treasure map. They will not be available in 2014. I think there was a late frost which created a germination issue causing them to finish growing in January.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
I am determined not to buy a woodville "just because". I prefer metal of the mods that I have used, next in line is a TRA for the feel that people talk about.

I'm not against wood, just my personal preference. And I suspect I'd be someone who lists it in the classies to fund a new metal REO
That's cool.. leaves one for ME!:laugh:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I've got a question about the original Woodvils.......for Karen specifically.... :)

Which squonks better, the REOs with the plunger or the Woodvils with the squonk hole in the door? I kind of love the idea of the plunger. I've not used a REO with the plunger and I am curious. Thanks!

I was curious as well. The only drawback I can think of is with it sticking out that it would catch on something and if you did possibly crack the door? Not quite as pocket friendly if you hit the plunger by mistake? Not as steamline?

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
All my Woodvils have plungers. I even have a extra on hand just in case. Not pocket friendly. :)

001plung.JPG

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
As you can see by my Avatar, I have Metal, VV Metal and Wood Reos. I am far from an expert, really quite a novice in all things Reos. But if I might share a few of my personal experiences;
When I first started vaping, I was directed to Reos Mods where I bought my first Reos Mini. At that time there were some things called 'VV Woodvil" on the site for over $200. I though 'I'd never spend that kind of money for a chunk of wood'. I am still regretting that 'Noobie' mistake.
Prior to the most recent Woodvil Run, I emailed the Jedi Squonk Master himself. I am rough on everything, I can knock over/ table dribble/ drop kick just about anything. There was a particular Woodvil I was interested in, so I asked Rob about the durability of that particular wood. Rob advised me that Woodvils are not for abusive vapers, and that I should avoid 'woods with long, strait grains'. He advised me to consider the Curly Oak and Lace Wood models. I still have my Oak/ Ebony Mini, Lace Wood 18490, and Oak Woodvil w/ plunger. The only changes I've made is I sanded the Oil Finish from the Lace Wood, coated with Spar Urethane (UV Protection) then sanded smooth and double coated with gloss Polyurethane for a 'shiny' appearance.
My opinion, and only my opinon on Plunger Mods; a beat slower. Normally I can squonk to a four- beat (1,2,3,4, release). With the Plunger I use a five- beat (1,2,3,4,5, release). But I love my plunger mod anyways. My all-time favorite e-liquid is HHV Legend (formally Gandalf) and my Plunger mod (Woodrow) is used exclusively for this e-liquid.
Finally, the smooth feel and aesthetic beauty of the Woodvil is the ONLY diffence between it and a Metal Grand. They all have RM2's, they all preform the same. My VV Grands (side button) actually out-preform either of the others. But there is a certain satisfying feeling to a Woodvil, not totally unlike a late spring, early morning walk alone in a forest. It just feels cool and natural. Just my :2c:

Last edited:

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Wood REO's, let's see.

As many have said they are each unique. You can't just switch doors. They vary slightly, but enough that none is as good a fit as the one that was made for that body.

The woods used. Some more common woods, walnut, ebony, purpleheart, cocobolo and a few more are seen in most runs. But then there are the exotic and special cuts of woods that present such a variety of grains, patterns, and colors.

The feel. Wow, it is tough to explain. For most of us that very first time we pick up a wood REO and wrap our hand and fingers around it is almost magical. They just fit, and feel like an extension of our hand.

Every size is special. Each give a little different fit in hand. I am amazed that my little Mini Woodvils hit just as hard as their big brother Woodvils. And how the heck does Robert make such a tiny wood REO with the same fit and finish? Amazing!

I have 40 wood REO's. And if I could I would have many more.

Wood REO's......there just ain't nothing better!

Z43ez7V.jpg

oh sweet, the woodvils are ready already! I guess Rob finished early. I've got my eye on the 4th from the right in the 3rd row down :D

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I do not want to take anything away from the device with this question that isn't my intention. I am genuinely curious. Why are people so hyped about the woodys? The thing I like about the Reo is i can drop it, wash it, do anything with it. I would be worried about doing either of those with the woody, so why is it so sought after?

Ummm have you seen pictures of them ??

Few things I like better in no particular order:

More rounded = more comfy in pockets.
Lighter (at least they seem so in a pocket).
Just as durable IMO if you pick the right wood.
Side button is more ergonomic for me.
Warmer on the hands in the winter.
Lastly about 100X nicer looking.

I've dropped them and washed them and they look like new.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I was always a metal kind of guy, never had any appreciation for wood at all... I work with metal and hate even working with wood, and at the time I thought to myself ah, wood is wood, anyone can carve something out of wood, that's easy, but cnc milled metal, now that's something to be appreciated... then on the last sale I started to become intrigued by all the different woods and all the hype and thought to myself I should at least try one... at the time I thought a urethane finish would be better because I'm pretty hard on mods but rob talked me into the natural finish as having a much better "feel", sale night came and I got caught up in the frenzy and winded up buying 2, 1 natural finished and one urethaned.

once I got these babies and vaped them I realized 2 things, 1 was that rob was right, the natural woods do have such a nice feel in the hand and 2nd is that I love the feel of wood much more than I like the feel of metal... I stripped the one with urethane finish to a natural oil rubbed finish and that was it, I never used my metal reo again. since then I've collected a few more woodvils and that's that, never even looked back at the metal reo

now I'm hard on my mods and I've dropped my Woodies many times, I've washed them out in the sink too and every once in a while if one starts to look beat up I just sand it a little and re oil/wax it and it's back to looking like new. woodies are very light and silky smooth texture and just feel amazing in your hand, no comparison to the metal really, I've used a woodie every day since I've gotten my first woodies and they are very durable, theres no reason for it to be a stay at home mod to me, I'm sure they'll stand up to many years of use and abuse. I got them to use them not to look at them but there also very beautiful once you start to appreciate wood that is I guess... woodvils have sparked an interest in woodworking for me now where before I really hated anything that had anything to do with sawdust... bottom line for me is woodvils are all that and then some :D

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
...What is ERA type, a hornet, divo?...

KS -
I said "ERA type" because there are clones of just about everything. I have an ERA type something that has been BF'd by someone with a little less than stellar talent, came with two drilled caps (one for single, one for dual coils)..... and 1 Hornet type that has not been BF'd. They both came included with buy's for other things off the classies. At first I thought the ERA type was just a home modded SMOK Mini with cap colors I hadn't seen before... but found that one is an original ERA cap color not offered by SMOK, the other is. But I no longer believe this one is a SMOK after finally finding the 3 SMOK Mini's I had left over from long ago to compare side by side. It has the same metals used for parts, same post screws, etc as the ERA, not like the SMOK, but with 2 instead of 1 o-ring to hold the cap. Most likely both the ERA type and Hornet type are clones from Halfastech.

Compare...
ERA - Hornet

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I was always a metal kind of guy, never had any appreciation for wood at all... I work with metal and hate even working with wood, and at the time I thought to myself ah, wood is wood, anyone can carve something out of wood, that's easy, but cnc milled metal, now that's something to be appreciated... then on the last sale I started to become intrigued by all the different woods and all the hype and thought to myself I should at least try one... at the time I thought a urethane finish would be better because I'm pretty hard on mods but rob talked me into the natural finish as having a much better "feel", sale night came and I got caught up in the frenzy and winded up buying 2, 1 natural finished and one urethaned.

once I got these babies and vaped them I realized 2 things, 1 was that rob was right, the natural woods do have such a nice feel in the hand and 2nd is that I love the feel of wood much more than I like the feel of metal... I stripped the one with urethane finish to a natural oil rubbed finish and that was it, I never used my metal reo again. since then I've collected a few more woodvils and that's that, never even looked back at the metal reo

now I'm hard on my mods and I've dropped my Woodies many times, I've washed them out in the sink too and every once in a while if one starts to look beat up I just sand it a little and re oil/wax it and it's back to looking like new. woodies are very light and silky smooth texture and just feel amazing in your hand, no comparison to the metal really, I've used a woodie every day since I've gotten my first woodies and they are very durable, theres no reason for it to be a stay at home mod to me, I'm sure they'll stand up to many years of use and abuse. I got them to use them not to look at them but there also very beautiful once you start to appreciate wood that is I guess... woodvils have sparked an interest in woodworking for me now where before I really hated anything that had anything to do with sawdust... bottom line for me is woodvils are all that and then some :D

Great post, man. Gets me excited for sale night!

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Probably a dumb question but is the back of that plunger recessed in the back of the door ?? Or how else would the door slide off unless the mod is notched slightly ?

Not a dumb question at all. Yes it recessed and one would have a little trouble if you didn't have the spring to keep it in place.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I've got a question about the original Woodvils.......for Karen specifically.... :)

Which squonks better, the REOs with the plunger or the Woodvils with the squonk hole in the door? I kind of love the idea of the plunger. I've not used a REO with the plunger and I am curious. Thanks!

Since you mentioned me I will also answer.

To me the plunger works very similar to squonking with my thumb. The difference I notice is when the bottle gets about 1/2 way empty. It is automatic to reposition my thumb a little to compensate when squonking through the hole. With the plunger being in a set position I seem to have to push much harder to feed juice.

Because of the above I usually remove the plunger and just slide the door up to squonk.

I would rather have a plank (without any hole) door. To me the solid door showcasing the wood in all it's glory is beautiful. One quick slide up, squonk, and slide back down is not a problem at all for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread