What makes the woodvill such a sought after mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I don't know the process Rob uses in making the metal Reos and the wooden reos, so why is it that the wooden reos have side buttons and the metal ones do not?

I never thought too much about this, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact the body of the metal ones is the circuit. The wood ones are ... well, wood. They are not conductive. So, a wire is necessary to have a circuit. I suppose he might have decided to put the button just about anywhere, but the side was just plain appropriate. If it were on top, the connectors would be right on top of the battery.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
How are REOS assembled? Does Rob use rabbetts? Are they 6 piece boxes or is it a chunk o wood all routed out?

Before the last woodville run, there was a video of the new process with the CNC machine. I bet someone with more powerful search-fu than mine will be able to link that....

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
A visit to the REO Timeline thread will give all you a lot of pictures and answers.

You will see the progression of the REO's and detailed pics and video's that Robert has posted during the manufacturing process.

I have tried to capture his posts through the threads and put them in one central place for ease of viewing and reference.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I never thought too much about this, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact the body of the metal ones is the circuit. The wood ones are ... well, wood. They are not conductive. So, a wire is necessary to have a circuit. I suppose he might have decided to put the button just about anywhere, but the side was just plain appropriate. If it were on top, the connectors would be right on top of the battery.

will the mechanical woodies be top fire? i can't see how else it would work with a mech switch

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
will the mechanical woodies be top fire? i can't see how else it would work with a mech switch
The button will be on the side there will be wires in this mod heavy wires but copper wire just the same . To me what makes a mod mechanical is the switch . I will posts pics soon

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I don't know the process Rob uses in making the metal Reos and the wooden reos, so why is it that the wooden reos have side buttons and the metal ones do not?

The metal REOs are mechanical with no wires so the switch (button) need to be at either the top or bottom of the battery. So the button is on the top, the only way it could be on the side is if the battery we're horizontal in the mod.

Wood REOs use wires to the button so it could be placed anywhere there is room for it.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
The button will be on the side there will be wires in this mod heavy wires but copper wire just the same . To me what makes a mod mechanical is the switch . I will posts pics soon
Of course is still a mech if you use wire... its a means of physically extending/re-routing of the current path from an engineering perspective..It's really no different than if you used busbar... in my last mod I had to use braided conductor to allow for vertical movement of my neg. batt. connector.

Even a mod using an enclosed switch (aka a standard SS vandal proof) is still technically a mech as you apply force that creates the physical contact between the "main current carrying conductors" (via contacts) however it's a sealed, "no user servicable parts inside" unit...I quoted "main current carrying conductors" as to differentiate between a tact switch saturating a PN junction inducing conductivity.

Imo, what makes a mech a "mech" is that the "switch mechanism" can be dismantled for maintenance/tweaking... I've struggled with this bit of semantics for a while now... but again, it's just my rational, for what that's worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread