What makes the woodvill such a sought after mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
I do not want to take anything away from the device with this question that isn't my intention. I am genuinely curious. Why are people so hyped about the woodys? The thing I like about the Reo is i can drop it, wash it, do anything with it. I would be worried about doing either of those with the woody, so why is it so sought after?

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
In my opinion it's their beauty, the wood look/patterns are amazing. Granted it's not something I am going to take out for a night of drinking where I may drop it I will save that for the metals. I would say it's a connoisseurs Reo, the one you take better care of than any of the others. It doesn't need to be washed out because you would never carelessly spill liquid in it unless you had an equipment failure. It's like a classic sports car you only drive on the weekends when it's sunny with no chance of rain. You can't just get one whenever so the care you take for it reflects that.

And I don't even have one YET but that's how I am going to treat mine when I do get it/them.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'd say the allure is equal parts craftsmanship, uniqueness, and rarity (on top of all the great things about the reo design).

They are simply stunning to see and hold (each one is like a handmade acoustic guitar), and no two are exactly alike. Many a woody is known by its given name in here - they have that level of charisma/mystique/gravitas. They are also far less available than the metal reos and so there's a little supply and demand action going on.

I, myself, have a lacewood fullsize (named "The Drake") and he is a legend among my RL vaping friends.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
A ~hand made (these days there's some CNC helping out the hand, but a whole lot of elbow grease is still required) one of a kind mod is desirable. No two are identicle... and they're REOs.

The weight. I have an SL Grand... my VVW is only ~70% of the weight of the SL.

Durability of a Woodville is not a question in my mind. Partly because of the reduced weight, I don't think the occasional drop or tip over is any sort of a problem. My VVW spend over 2 years going everywhere I went every single day. It has put up with quite a lot... I mean, I really try to take care of it, but carry anything every single day for a couple of years and it is bound to hit the ground now and again.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They are so beautiful.....classy. And they FEEL good in your hand. Then there's the side button.....I love that feature. And in the winter, they're not as cold as a metal REO to grab. The supply/demand, of course, is a real consideration. Many people want what they can't have just because they can't have it.

My two cents.....

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I have only Woodvils . Besides my personal feeling that I like wood over metal...they are even less hassle free if that's even possible. As hard as I am on mine I never have to clean/adjust/ grind contact or have to add any Noalox. I might be just lucky but in all my years of having accidently abused mine I never had to replace a spring.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Sought after because you can't just go to REOSMODS anytime you want to and buy one. It's either try to snag them on the rare Woodvil vapor days with a limited supply of them available, or the classifieds.

I'm a wood guy, for over 50 years I crafted high grade exotic woods as a hobby, making gun stocks/grips when I owned a gun shop, sometimes as a professional when I was commissioned to do custom work. There has always been a never ending supply of fine wood everything's in my life, homes, etc.

The Woodvil's appeal to me for the wood that even if standard grade still has uniqueness (a one of a kind); the feel of the wood is preferred over the feel of metal; the lighter weight; the side fire button; and so far the small foot print atty's they have to use if original and not modded. When the new Woodvil's are available next year (either their vapor day or the classies after) I'll be on the hunt for them.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Well... i've been known to own a Woodvil or two...

i've also collected several other BF wood mods, some from current modders, and others from the classys, where the original modder has long since disappeared.

The craftsmanship and artistry has already been mentioned. But, to me it's all that, and the sublime hand feel. Good lord! Holding a Woodvil in your hand just feels so right!

I love my metal Reos and i love my other BF wood mods, but the Woodvil

Did you hear about my baby? she come around,
She come round here, the head to the ground?
Come round here just about midnight,
She makes me feel so good, make me feel all right.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Well... i've been known to own a Woodvil or two...

i've also collected several other BF wood mods, some from current modders, and others from the classys, where the original modder has long since disappeared.

The craftsmanship and artistry has already been mentioned. But, to me it's all that, and the sublime hand feel. Good lord! Holding a Woodvil in your hand just feels so right!

I love my metal Reos and i love my other BF wood mods, but the Woodvil

Did you hear about my baby? she come around,
She come round here, the head to the ground?
Come round here just about midnight,
She makes me feel so good, make me feel all right.

You inspired me to add to the music thread.

The only thing I regret is the limitation of RBAs with wood REOs and now that problem will be gone forever. :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
You inspired me to add to the music thread.

The only thing I regret is the limitation of RBAs with wood REOs and now that problem will be gone forever. :)

They are gorgeous and have character!
What are the limitations of RBAs on a woodvil if you don't mind me asking?

"now that problem will be gone forever" suggests the reference to limitation of RBA's was to the limitation of only using the small footprint RBA's with the stock, brass catch cup.

Not a problem for me on the Woodies... I like the smaller footprint RBA's on all my Reos, metal or wood, and am not interested in running 22mm RBA's on them at all. I have a BF 22mm still NIB that will never be used IOW. My Woodies only get VA Cyclones, RM2's, RM3's, an IGO-S or ERA types. My largest BF being used on the metal Reos are the Nuppin's and sometimes the Atomic, but more often instead of the Atomic it's RM2's or RM3's.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
"now that problem will be gone forever" suggests the reference to limitation of RBA's was to the limitation of only using the small footprint RBA's with the stock, brass catch cup.

Not a problem for me on the Woodies... I like the smaller footprint RBA's on all my Reos, metal or wood, and am not interested in running 22mm RBA's on them at all. I have a BF 22mm still NIB that will never be used IOW. My Woodies only get VA Cyclones, RM2's, RM3's, an IGO-S or ERA types. My largest BF being used on the metal Reos are the Nuppin's and sometimes the Atomic, but more often instead of the Atomic it's RM2's or RM3's.

You'd be correct. The NEW Woodvils with the NEW 510 connector will be LP and any size RBA can be used big or small. If it weren't for my disability I'd grind my Woodvils down but I can't. Not wanting to wait I have found another wood LP mechanical mod to hold me over till Rob has is sale in Feb. I have been starring at a Mephisto and Odin I got turned into BF with coils and wicks waiting on my new mod to arrive. :facepalm:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Wood REO's, let's see.

As many have said they are each unique. You can't just switch doors. They vary slightly, but enough that none is as good a fit as the one that was made for that body.

The woods used. Some more common woods, walnut, ebony, purpleheart, cocobolo and a few more are seen in most runs. But then there are the exotic and special cuts of woods that present such a variety of grains, patterns, and colors.

The feel. Wow, it is tough to explain. For most of us that very first time we pick up a wood REO and wrap our hand and fingers around it is almost magical. They just fit, and feel like an extension of our hand.

Every size is special. Each give a little different fit in hand. I am amazed that my little Mini Woodvils hit just as hard as their big brother Woodvils. And how the heck does Robert make such a tiny wood REO with the same fit and finish? Amazing!

I have 40 wood REO's. And if I could I would have many more.

Wood REO's......there just ain't nothing better!

Z43ez7V.jpg

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Wood REO's, let's see.

As many have said they are each unique. You can't just switch doors. They vary slightly, but enough that none is as good a fit as the one that was made for that body.

The woods used. Some more common woods, walnut, ebony, purpleheart, cocobolo and a few more are seen in most runs. But then there are the exotic and special cuts of woods that present such a variety of grains, patterns, and colors.

The feel. Wow, it is tough to explain. For most of us that very first time we pick up a wood REO and wrap our hand and fingers around it is almost magical. They just fit, and feel like an extension of our hand.

Every size is special. Each give a little different fit in hand. I am amazed that my little Mini Woodvils hit just as hard as their big brother Woodvils. And how the heck does Robert make such a tiny wood REO with the same fit and finish? Amazing!

I have 40 wood REO's. And if I could I would have many more.

Wood REO's......there just ain't nothing better!

Z43ez7V.jpg

THERE is the picture and the testimonial! Was hoping you'd weigh in, Karen. Gorgeous collection....simply stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread