What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vape seraph

Jun 5, 2017
As a tribute to a little too much red wine and that balance in paypal I had all but forgotten about, I now own a rofvape warlock z 233 watt, 2 sony vtc4 batteries, and an external charger.
I have been using a vape pen as my first device for about 2 months now, based on that, and what I think I would like to achieve, what tank would be a good fit for MTL vaping at 1.6 to 1.8 ohms? I am NOT ready to venture into building my own coils yet. What would be an appropriate wattage to set the mod to? (So as not to blow my pinkie off). I have been looking into Aspire, Kanger, and a few other brands plus-ohm tanks.
A sincere thank you for any advice.
Oh, is this mod's batteries (cannot find info on internet) in series or parallel; and does it matter?

Reactions: Eskie

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
As a tribute to a little too much red wine and that balance in paypal I had all but forgotten about, I now own a rofvape warlock z 233 watt, 2 sony vtc4 batteries, and an external charger.
I have been using a vape pen as my first device for about 2 months now, based on that, and what I think I would like to achieve, what tank would be a good fit for MTL vaping at 1.6 to 1.8 ohms? I am NOT ready to venture into building my own coils yet. What would be an appropriate wattage to set the mod to? (So as not to blow my pinkie off). I have been looking into Aspire, Kanger, and a few other brands plus-ohm tanks.
Oh, is this mod's batteries (cannot find info on internet) in series or parallel; and does it matter?
Have some more wine, there are a couple things I need to get.[emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I MTL quite nicely with 0.6ohms. I even MTL with a nano RDA using 0.45ohm coils.

Nautilus, Kabuki - both use BVC,
Eleaf GS, GS Air, GS tank - all use GS pure cotton coils
Cubis and Cubis Pro - the 0.6ohm is the MTL choice.

Do not try the Eleaf ECML - they dry hit lower than the upper specification.
Kanger do nothing good in MTL (i.m.o.)...

Power (watts) is more important than ohms (resistance) when it comes to making your choice.
Can you estimate the power you are likely to want?

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I have two oft used clearo's, even though my RTA collection is slowly growing.. I would suggest the Vapros V-Spot and the Innokin i.Clear X.I clearo's. There are two coil heads available for the V-Spot, 1.5 and 1.8 ohms. I have and use both resistances, but I prefer the 1.8 ohm coil head. There are several, similar ohm, coil heads available for the X.I, but I prefer the 2.1 ohm one for it. They are both bottom fill, non air flow adjustable, with about 3ml tank capacity. The V-Spot (which is eGo threaded) has a well, so a 510-eGo adapter will be needed for any mod with a flush and 510 only connector. I'm not sure of either one's wattage or voltage max, but I run both at either a 7.5ish watt or 3.8ish volt max (again, a personal preference) on a regulated mod. They both also work fine on my mechanical mod. Good luck on your expedition.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    Do not try the Eleaf ECML - they dry hit lower than the upper specification.
    Kanger do nothing good in MTL (i.m.o.)...

Oh, I dunno, the newer-style 1.2 and 1.5ohm OCCs aren't bad, I don't think. There are definitely better ones to get if buying new, but Kanger really improved upon the older style Subtank heads with more recent iterations of the OCC, including the MTL. To each their own, of course, and I don't think I'd recommend them to anyone getting something new today. More for those who have Subtanks and Toptanks etc. sitting around and want to MTL. (ed: I also have an older style Subtank Mini and Nano that have the one cyclops hole, and then two smaller holes and one smaller hole to restrict. This admittedly helps MTL over the newer bases.)

A regulated dual 18650 box putting out that kind of power will by necessity be wired in series, but it also doesn't super matter to you because it is a regulated device and especially because you are talking about vaping at pretty low power.

I'm more of a builder and MTL on rare occasion so mostly I can just confirm that the Nautilus continues to be a solid MTL, or the Kabuki if you can afford it. The Youtube reviewer PBusardo likes MTL vaping so you might want to browse through his channel (though he does review a lot of things you won't be wanting, too). I'll throw out the GS Air from Eleaf as well, which provides a decent vape for a super cheap price. Also, as others have noted, you might want to consider widening your range just a tad. It is totally possible to MTL down in the higher subohm range, but if you don't want to do that you could still consider anything above 1.0ohms, which will increase your options and still allows you to MTL at low power. MTL-ing vs. direct lung hits is a combination of airflow, resistance, and power.

I completely and totally hear you that you aren't there yet, but my $.02 is to just think some about whether you'd ever like to build in the future. The problem is that vaping is so geared towards the subohmers right now. There just aren't as many good factory choices for MTLers, IMO. You'll find oodles and oodles and oodles of premade coil heads in the .15-.4 range and get to decide between a handful at 1.5ohm+. This is not to say it's not possible to find a satisfying MTL if you never want to build; I'm just suggesting you think on it because of your particular wants. Manufacturers have largely moved away from vapers like you, at least at the moment. It's sad but it's true and our goal is to get you the best experience you can possibly have. So, I'm sure others will come along to add to the already good suggestions, and my personal advice on top of that is to at least think about building in the future, especially if you end up having a hard time finding something you like. Also, just for peace of mind, a regulated mod protects you from a LOT of the dangers of building if you do decide you're ever interested :)

But I really, really don't like it when veterans try to push building on new members who explicitly say they're not there yet so I hope you don't feel like that's what that is. It's just something to keep in mind, mostly because of (arguably silly) trends in the industry right now.

I hope the search goes well and that you enjoy the mod! After that whole spiel I'll reiterate that right now, a Nautilus, Kabuki, ELeaf GS Air, all seem like decent choices. There are definitely others. It's just not my particular wheelhouse beyond a couple of bits and bobs I have. The last time I was strictly a MTL vaper I was using polyfill cartomizers and disposable 510 attys :blink:

Good luck!

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Not sure if you can get the 1.6 to 1.8 ohms (This is my happy spot too, I'm into RDA's) for the tanks below. I can see you sure know the best ohm span. Could start wattage at 6.6 ohms and work watts upward till you see a decent cloud. The taste should improve up to that decent cloud if your atomizer is a good one.
    Tanks-I would check out:
    The Tron-S, with the CLR coils,the EHpro Kayfun Lite V2, Kayfun V5, and the Subtank Mini with the RBA

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread