What RDA should I pick? Can't decide, please help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
steam crave's mesh deck is interesting. It isn't spring loaded, but the liquid feed goes straight into the wicking under the mesh.

It's a good idea as you're less likely to get a dry hit, which on mesh is awful.

I'm not sure if any other manufacturer uses a similar idea, but I'd like to know myself.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks, I think I'll just go straight to 5mm then if flavor is to be gained, not scared of harder building/wicking. What coils do you use in it? I've just discovered staircase coils (ones I use are kanthal 0.25ohm by Mad Rabbit), bought them on sale online and was intending to have them as backup cause I assumed they would probably suck, hence they landed on sale. But surprisingly they are flying, no gurgling/cracking, minimum spitback. Really like them. I've never tried round wire as I thought this was outdated technology but now I'm curious after getting so nice performance from basic coils

I'm cross-quoting you ;)

I learnt to build with round wire, and I love it. My favourite wire now though is flat wire. It's so much easier to clean than fused claptons etc. Plus it seems to ramp fast. Have a look at this UK brand Flatwire UK:
    Flatwire UK 10ft Wire Spools – SR Vapes
    Their spool of 25g would be either 0.8mm x 0.2mm or 0.68mm x 0.27mm. That should give you a fast ramp at 30-60 watts.

If you want larger sizes;
    Flat Wire / Ribbon

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Yes, I've ordered from them before @PeterKay. They're one of the reputable places to get batteries or cells from.

You can use this code for a discount.

AMPS+5

It'll knock £1.60 off the price of 2 cells, and they may well include an extra battery case for free. Or at least they used to.
    I tried to order yesterday but they were out of stock, booo... Found them on evolution vaping for a reasonable price, I have a question though: the site you linked advertises them as 45A, but most of the sites I've seen state they are 30A, which sounds more realistic. Are there two types of P42A or is the 45A rating a mistake? thx

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    I tried to order yesterday but they were out of stock, booo... Found them on evolution vaping for a reasonable price, I have a question though: the site you linked advertises them as 45A, but most of the sites I've seen state they are 30A, which sounds more realistic. Are there two types of P42A or is the 45A rating a mistake? thx

Branding batteries with over rated CDR AMP numbers has been a problem in the industry for years. On this side of the pond most of us followed the testing that the battery guru Mooch performs on batteries for a much more believable rating and the reasons why. Not sure if ECF allows this link, but if they do you can click on this P42A chart for more information.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Branding batteries with over rated CDR AMP numbers has been a problem in the industry for years. On this side of the pond most of us followed the testing that the battery guru Mooch performs on batteries for a much more believable rating and the reasons why. Not sure if ECF allows this link, but if they do you can click on this P42A chart for more information.

I've seen it earlier today, thanks! So basically this cell will go up to 40A (probably even 45A as Molicel stated themselves if combined with some cooling system/in controlled environment/as a part of a modern battery pack as it's originally designed for) but the safe CDR for it in a vaping situation (where I have no idea how hot the batteries are and cooling from mod alone isn't sufficient, and, quite frankly, I have no intention of constantly checking the temperature of my batteries) is 30A. Sounds about right?

Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Here's the test results from @Mooch for the molicel p42a, even he says that it's more realistically rated at 30 - 40 Amps CDR. Otherwise it becomes unusably hot and the lifespan is shortened significantly.

Bench Retest Results: Molicel P42A 4000mAh 21700...beats 40T, one of the best batteries available

Also, here's the link to @Mooch's blog, where you can find lots of useful information @PeterKay.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

But with the ratings, there's no universally adopted industry standard. And some manufactures or resellers have some very optomistic claims indeed.

Reactions: PeterKay

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Here's the test results from @Mooch for the molicel p42a, even he says that it's more realistically rated at 30 - 40 Amps CDR. Otherwise it becomes unusably hot and the lifespan is shortened significantly.
    That makes a lot of sense. What I meant earlier is that the 45A rating by molicel might apply in controlled environment situation in a modern battery pack, as some manufacturers are currently introducing cooling systems within battery packs, like here:
    Cordless tools

If vaping gear manufacturers incorporated a cooling system in a mod, in theory we could be getting the best of our battery cells, or at least a better performance than the currently achievable safely

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    unusably hot and the lifespan is shortened significantly
    I noticed that all of my cordless tool battery chargers (except for the ....ty B&Q drill i got as a gift a while back) have a cooling fan that cools down the packs while charging. Do you know of any chargers that do the same for single cells? I noticed my batteries get pretty hot while being charged in the little Nitecore charger I have, and I imagine this doesn't help with the lifespan

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I noticed that all of my cordless tool battery chargers (except for the ....ty B&Q drill i got as a gift a while back) have a cooling fan that cools down the packs while charging. Do you know of any chargers that do the same for single cells? I noticed my batteries get pretty hot while being charged in the little Nitecore charger I have, and I imagine this doesn't help with the lifespan
    You might find this interesting @PeterKay

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    You might find this interesting @PeterKay

I think someone linked that vid when i first joined ECF but somehow I never watched it! Thanks for the second opportunity
    I always charge the cells externally, unless it's a pod or pen, then I usually use an old phone charger, got a few 0.5A and 0.7A chargers sitting around which just do the job.
    Just something I noticed with regards to Mooch's vid- I was looking for a new 4 port charger yesterday and I'm sure I saw many chargers where charging ports were not independent and the current would depend on how many batteries were getting charge at once. But I think these were mostly cheaper chargers, old technology?

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I think someone linked that vid when i first joined ECF but somehow I never watched it! Thanks for the second opportunity
    I always charge the cells externally, unless it's a pod or pen, then I usually use an old phone charger, got a few 0.5A and 0.7A chargers sitting around which just do the job.
    Just something I noticed with regards to Mooch's vid- I was looking for a new 4 port charger yesterday and I'm sure I saw many chargers where charging ports were not independent and the current would depend on how many batteries were getting charge at once. But I think these were mostly cheaper chargers, old technology?
    I've got a few chargers but my main one is an Efest LUC v4 - maybe 3 years old. It's a 4 bay charger but only 2 of the 4 have 2A capacity. These days I usually charge at 1A for better long term battery life. I'm not recommending it as one to buy but it works fine and gives a read out in V which I like.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I've got a few chargers but my main one is an Efest LUC v4 - maybe 3 years old. It's a 4 bay charger but only 2 of the 4 have 2A capacity. These days I usually charge at 1A for better long term battery life. I'm not recommending it as one to buy but it works fine and gives a read out in V which I like.
    I just went with the price this time as I recently spent too much on mods and vaping gear, so I wasn't looking for anything fancy. I have Nitecore Q2 charger and it's just fine so I simply bought Nitecore Q4 as I found it on sale from a vendor I previously ordered from and was happy with. Maybe in the future I'm going to invest into something more fancy but right now I'm searching for a huge BF RDA (around 30mm) and that's where I want to put my money

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @PeterKay, if you need a charger that will do everything you need and more. And more importantly last you.

You can't go wrong with the SkyRC MC3000, but they are not cheap.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/28883945

And a few massive diameter RDA's for you as well to have a look into, just to see if any take your fancy.

Valhalla 38 RDA (24k Gold) - Vaperz Cloud International

Valhalla v2 (Stainless Steel) - Vaperz Cloud International

Valhalla RDA *HELLS GATE EDITION* (Stainless Steel) - Vaperz Cloud International

I just had a quick look and Evolutionvaping has the Valhalla V2 in stock, they're worth bookmarking as they do have some good offers on clearance items.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    And a few massive diameter RDA's for you as well to have a look into, just to see if any take your fancy.

Valhalla 38 RDA (24k Gold) - Vaperz Cloud International

Valhalla v2 (Stainless Steel) - Vaperz Cloud International

Valhalla RDA *HELLS GATE EDITION* (Stainless Steel) - Vaperz Cloud International

I just had a quick look and Evolutionvaping has the Valhalla V2 in stock, they're worth bookmarking as they do have some good offers on clearance items.
    Thanks, I had a look yesterday. I think 40mm is a bit of an overkill though. I'm just testing the steamcrave glaz v2 rta (31mm), and I think this is about the biggest sized tank I'm gonna go for. So 30mm will be my destination size.
    Ive been looking at these two:
    https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/triarii-30mm-by-cloudy-collabirations-distrobution-22992.html
    https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/deathtrap-2-30mm-rda-by-deathwish.html
    Any thoughts? I'm after flavor, vapor production is secondary criterium for me. Also not afraid of bottom airflow, I'm getting better and better at squonking bottom airflow rda's and I noticed flavor from such is often great

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    From what I've learned over time @PeterKay, bottom airflow hitting the underside of your coils is where the flavors at.

The Valhalla 28mm looks interesting for that.

https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/valhalla-28mm-by-vaperz-cloud-x-suicide-mods.html

Valhalla Nightmare RDA 28mm by Vaperz Cloud X Suicide Mods

One of the best single coil RDA's I have heard about is the Atmizoo Creek RDA, if it's anywhere near their Tripod RTA it is a must have.

You are being redirected...
    That Valhalla looks really good, probably something just for me :) I want them all! :D Atomizoo Creek... that would be great for my pico squeeze 2... but a bit over my budget, got a few single coil rda's so don't really need another just now, unless of course I find it somewhere on sale. Thx for the name, I'll keep it in mind when searching for stuff.

Yeah that bottom airflow is my thing. Combined with good drip tip, and rda that has good chimney, really gives a nice flavor experience.

Sahara RDA is the bargain atty I bought from evolution vaping, very pleasant man, for a fiver? Really nice flavor, the only flaw for me is that you can shoot liquid outside through the drip tip when you squonk
    https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/saharda-rda-by-3cvape.html
    https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/saharda-rda-by-3cvape.html

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread