What starter kit would be best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phishy2na

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Illinois
I started out with an ego dual coil tank kit, and bought ego clear mega dual coil cartomizers seperatly. Mainly for the reason I hate constantly fiddling and refilling cartriges and these hold enough liquid for most of the day. It was less expensive for me to order the tank kit and then buy the cartomizers seperatly as the tanks typically cost 11 dollars or more each and this kit came with 2 of them.

Here is a link to the kit I started with: Ego Dual Coil Cartomizer Tank Kit

One recommendation though is when buying replacement cartomizers for the tanks, get the 1.24 ohm replacements, they work much better on the ego batteries.

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
I have a 510 LR carto on my Omega. Does anyone know if I should be using standard cartos or not. The first couple puffs were aaaawweful

Mlisnek, are you referring to the Omega sold at AltSmoke.com? If so, it uses 18650 batteries and you can use any bits and pieces you like on it. It's a 3.7 PV and 2.0 LR cartos work just fine, and are usually the preferred carto.

If there is another/different Omega, could you send a link?

Did you fill the carto full with ejuice? If it's a single coil Boge carto, it should hold about 1 ml. If it was full, did you give the juice enough time to reach the bottom of the carto? Did you keep putting more juice in until the top of the carto looked like a slushy? If you are using a high VG juice, it will take longer to saturate the coil. If you used the condom method of filling and put the screw end in the condom filled with juice, it should have enough juice at the coil end.

The awful taste of the carto for the first few puffs was almost certainly not enough juice on the coil, especially if the flavor improved very shortly.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
And you completely ignored the "battery drain" problem with mini batteries which also supports the point that the smaller the battery the worse the overall performance. As a battery discharges, it is not capable of maintaining a consistent power output, thus diminishing performance. This is more pronounced in small proprietary battery models. If one is lucky enough to get 1 -2 hours of power from a mini-battery, they only get half that time of peak performance. If one is a half a pack or less a day smoker, that might be fine. But it isn't for the average smoker, which forces them to waste more money by buying another model. Suggesting that the OP who smokes over a pack a day should get a mini battery model is not helping them. Maybe you have money to burn, but many don't.

Oh bless your heart for bringing up yet another thing to confuse the living feck out of these poor newbies.

Didn't I say that a larger batt model would be a perfect fit for the OP? Ummmm...YES! My issue on that point was people suggesting tanks. Everyone with a tank knows that they are often not the best choice for a total newb.

Now to respond to your suggestion that smaller batteries don't offer good performance. You're still tying performance of an ecig to the voltage and mAh rating and not the entire experience.

FYI - 808's deliver higher voltage under load for almost all its usage time than an eGo thanks to the regulation built into the eGo itself but that's another story. These kinds of technical things interest me greatly and there are a couple of massive threads on that topic here, I can dig them up if you like.

God knows I've spent more money than most in the last year trying to figure out what I liked, and much of that was thanks to people like yourself that are as biased as feck against anything that looks like a ciggie...even if that's the perfect product for what a person wants, you'll still try to talk them into a larger pv because you don't like them.

Maybe you're trying to save people money in the long run, and that's great, and even though many upgrade to something with more battery life after a few months on a small ecig, don't presume that they'll use that larger model exclusively and never pick up the little ecig again.

Maybe I'm a little vain, but I wouldn't be caught outside my home with an eGo, though in the privacy of my home I'd happily hit on it.

Smaller ecig's have a place in almost everyone's kit, and 808's can deliver surprisingly good performance (as you would define it). They are excellent at simulating the act of smoking in a visual and tactile sense which eases the transition from analogs, and they give the user a solid introduction to vaping...experience which the user can draw on to more successfully select a larger PV that will fit their vaping needs because they will be more aware of what those needs actually are.

I know this might be hard for you to wrap your head around, but if I'd bought my eGo first, I probably wouldn't be vaping now.

So there's no question that a larger batt model will suit the OP, but posts like yours earlier simply steers the many people that aren't posting questions away from small cig models that would otherwise be perfect for them and have them waste money on something that for their needs is sub-par. That's what happened to me.

And before you tell me that I'm yet another big exception the the rule, I'm seeing a lot of exceptions to this rule, because mate...there is no freakin rule. Just people, each with their own unique needs and wants.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
I know everyone has an opinion on what makes a great device, as do I, but please try to be more aware of how you may be knocking an otherwise excellent product that has it's own unique benefits when singing the praises of a different style device.

I remember clearly what it was like as a newb and this kind of thing really can make it hard.

Of course, if a product is truly crap, or way overpriced then it's our duty to let everyone know. Fair enough?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I tell most people unless they specifically state that they don't want one, to get a bigger battery model.

Here are my reasonings- not saying it's right, just from my perspective.

1. It's cheaper. Like half the price of a mini kit
2. Batteries last longer.
3. If you're a long time smoker, most prefer low resistance cartomizers which you can't use on a KR808.
4. They really aren't bigger, just fatter.
5. An ego + cartomizer is just as easy as a KR808 or 510 with cartomizer.

Overall, a better value in my estimation unless you have a big disposable income. Then get one of each!

I think a mini -510 or KR808 is great to have once you're off cigs. I have one and use it all the time now that I'm over the cig addiction. I think the key is LR cartos. That seems to be why most people move on from a mini- they're looking for a bit 'more'.

As far as looks, frankly they're all a little silly looking when you think about it. An ego is no sillier than a metal tube with a fake light on the end. But no one ever said smoking was an attractive passtime. At least with an ego, I don't look like I'm smoking a cigarette and we know how non-smokers feel about cigarettes. Might get rocks thrown at us. :laugh:

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
depending on how heavy of a smoker you are if you are a light - med (1/2 pack to 1 pack a day)smoker i would Recommend a 510 model, if you are a med-high (1 pack plus a day) i would recommend and eGo model

Oh, so would I. Or if you don't want to deal with filling cartomizers. Some people love the ease of buying prefilled.

My nephew (who hasn't smoked long or smokes a lot) I got him 510 with a pcc.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Swedishfish, that's fair enough.

There's nothing wrong with making suggestions, but the way that it's often done can cause headaches for people.

All of those are solid reasons to look at a larger batt model and the way you suggest things seems to be a little more objective than some which is easier to receive as a newb.

I've never really seen you really bag a product just because you don't like it, there's always been a solid reason for you steering someone away from a product, and even then, it's done gracefully.

Last edited:

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
I do agree with his final statement in this case.that since the OP smokes a pack and a half to two packs a day, a mini is not for them. A pack or less and a person just likes the feel of smoking and is as addicted to the feel of a ciggy like I was. KR8 was just the thing to help me quit and I have been quick to defend kr8s when someone waves their hands over the whole thing to tell someone they all are poor performers. Being talked into an ego as a better choice when i was ready to upgrade did deserve a slap in a few peoples faces cause they obviously had no idea the power the kr8 runs at.
But folks who smoke almost 2 packs a day definitely need a kgo or something similar. They are more addicted to what it's doing for them than how it's being delivered.

I will also say that despite the overwhelmingly numerous people who chime in to defend and say that they like their slim style kr8s some people will always say what they feel like saying and try to say hundreds of happy people are a minority even though every time that statement is made, two or three people chime in to defend. Every time.
Seems to be a double edged sword. It's time to defend the right to vape, except if you actually like vaping a slim style PV that looks like an analog. The you are just hurting the cause and don't count.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
***post amended because I'm not sure what you meant by your last paragraph charlz***

Hurting the cause by choosing an analog lookalike. Hmmm.

Analog lookalikes are a very common reason why people become intrigued by vaping in the first place.

Celebrities with their smokestik's appearing on letterman, Johnny depp in the film The Tourist, that random dude at the pub in the darkened smoking area vaping on a 510 and the blue led is sticking out like dog's nuts.

Hell, even blu cigs and v2, despite their dodgy product and huge markups respectively, they are amazing marketers and are creating an awareness of vaping amongst the public in ways that none of us can.

I walk down the street with my 808 and I reckon maybe one person in a hundred knows what "that strange thing I'm puffing on" is, but the people who ask are intrigued and surprised. There's something appealing about a cig style device to a smoker and that in itself has value.

Without analog lookalikes I don't believe for a second that we'd have a forum with a member base quite the size of this one.

After all, how many people when they were brand new to vaping saw a fat batt and thought "damn, that's beautiful"?

The first time I saw a picture of an ego I thought it looked like a duck call.

As an afterthought, even though I was a heavy pack and a half a day smoker, I still prefer my 808 despite having tried numerous and varied high powered models. Yes I'm probably a minority with respect to deliberately going "backwards", but maybe I'm more patient than most people in that I do not g.a.f that I have to be charging lots (a PCC neatly solves that btw). But I'd never recommend one as the ultimate answer to someone else that is a similar or heavier smoker than I was unless they shared my initial view of the appearance of fat batts.
But I would be careful to mention that battery life is the drawback of a smaller size.

I believe that the majority of slim cig haters actually started on a manual 510 with woeful battery life, the equivalent of a shorty 808, and for that reason I can see why people recommend others skip it altogether.

By doing this are we perhaps depriving people of that all important apprenticeship phase by giving people the answers before they themselves have formulated the question?

Something to ponder

Last edited:

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
You missed my point entirely, Ambition. Read it again. I was commenting on this:
You are the BIG exception to the rule. There are many more people who go back to smoking due to the poor performance of most mini-battery models. The vast majority, based on thousands of posts on various vaping forums want performance of over appearance and find quickly that they DON'T want to look like they are "pretending" to still smoke. The slightly larger battery models do out perform the mini battery models. The more we look like we still smoke, the more negative percpetions about vaping we generate.[/B]

You're out for blood so much right now, you didn't see we were on the same side and I was trying not to be too pointed with my comments. Not all bigger batteries out perform minis.

No use getting angry, man. Just do what the rest of us do and speak up when someone wants to state their style is the only style there should be. I've never stated that the majority of folks who use mods are so crazy about justifying it that they seem to want to force people to believe they are the majority and that it's the only way to be satisfied. I'm not saying it now. :p
You are getting too worked up over it, though. None of this is helping the OP.

Last edited:

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
To get back on topic, I have no idea about the specs, pros or cons or the boge Leo. I see many great comments about it, but it's rarely recommended.

I know it's 800mAh and heard that its a vapor machine. But that's all I know.

If anyone's used one, how would it compare to some of the more commonly recommended models, and would it be a viable option for the
OP?

Last edited:

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I was a heavy smoker who quit easily using the KR808D-1's. They do work very well. However, I got tired of refilling the tiny cartos constantly and having to carry multiple batteries at all times. That's why I like the bigger models now - but I disagree that they actually *perform* better than the 808. The hit is nearly the same as far as I can tell. I got my batteries from Vapor4Life and they were 3.7v, just as my KGO, Riva and E-Power units are.

In other words, the KR808D-1's @ 3.7v are very good and in the beginning, having something to do with your hands (filling cartos) is actually a plus because it keeps your mind off the fact that you're not smoking. When/if you get tired of too much fussing every day, pick up a bigger model.

It's all good if it works for you.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
We can all tell. :p No problem. I can point to every one here who's been around and name a time recently they have gotten aggravated on the forums and let some people get to them. It's the way it is. Funny, I never saw people fight over their choice of analogs. Get some rest.

Lol. It's all too easy to go all keyboard warrior (or is that touchscreen warrior) for me these days. Especially since I'm out of 20mg juice and am stuck with 16mg dekang kamel until my shipments come in. Yuk. It tastes like I'd imagine a real camel would taste and I'm sucking the guts outta my 808 and hitting the 10 cutoff on the auto every time. :(

Was just doing some reading on the boge Leo and not only does it look like a good fit on paper for the OP, it may be a good home device for myself. It seems to be priced fairly well and the reviews are mostly good.

Two questions.
1. Besides mAh, what makes this a better choice than an equivalent e/v/kgo model? Preferably from
someone that has used one

2. How the eff do you pronounce boge anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread