What's so great about Mods??

Status
Not open for further replies.

katwb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2014
Calhoun, GA
You'll be fine. The most important thing is to know your batteries.

For instance, if you have batteries that are rated for 20Amps continuous, you don't want to run any coils that will push the battery beyond that.
Ohm's law is your friend, know it, love it, live it. Ohm's Law Calculator
Basically Amps = Voltage/Resistance

So calculate a full battery charge at 4.2v, and let's say you want to run a 0.8ohm coil.
4.2/0.8=5.25 Amps, which is well under the max of the 20A battery.

Cool - I have this bookmarked and saved on my computer! thank you!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mechs are the choice of purist vapers. You find the resistance that provides the best vape over charge life and stick with it. They are relatively simple, repairable, and they work and work and last for years. You can buy replacement parts for most of them.

Variable mods give you a "volume control" for your vape. You don't have to play around and find the perfect resistance. You just dial up the sweet spot and leave it there until you change to a different coil head. You get puff counters and other bells and whistles, such as voltage and wattage readings as well as battery voltage in the display. We all like bells and whistles ... well some do.

On the down side, most variable mods have a lower resistance limit around 1 ohm. Below that they won't fire. You can raise the voltage to 15 or 20 watts in most VV/VW mods to compensate. Some go much higher in wattage for a higher price.

Last edited:

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
I have several regulated systems. Smoktech VV/VW batter - iTaste SVD and Innokin VV/VW - Spinner 1300 - Spinner 2 - SID -
I have a Kayfun and Orchid that I use on the SVD and like my builds around 1.2-1.4
My question - I am curious about the unregulated Mods - what's so great?? I've seen a few of the Nemesis 14650's on FastTech that are really cool - but why just can't make up my mind .... I mean - why spend the money?? Would I get a better vape?? Are they just "fun" because of the challenge of tinkering with them??
I have a very LARGE pile of tanks....and a few batteries that are just sitting wasting away as I never use them - and I am afraid to even think about how much money I have in them! I don't want to buy another toy that will sit and collect dust - so what is the advantage?? Is the 14650 a good size mod to handle my Kayfun or Orchid?? I've done a lot of research .... but get more confused with all the choices! And I know that you all know better than anyone and have the answers for me!
Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated!

I was in your same position about a year ago... I have an Innokin VV and a few other VV devices, now they're old sold to friends and family, and I'm vaping on mech mods exclusively.

After spending literally thousands of dollars, here's the conclusion I've come to (to also answer your question)

Will you get a better vape?
- Yes, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can make builds that give you more vapor, therefor giving you your nicotine fix faster.. Can you accomplish the same thing with a VV device? Yes, but on mech mdos you vape with 6mg, maybe 12mg, but no 18mg.

The downside is, you will need to have patience, learn how to do a micro coil, get good organic cotton, Koh Gen Do is a good brand. Personally I like to use 26 gauge G-Plat Wire rather than the traditional Kanthal, GPlat lasts longer and it's easier on the fingers to build with (it's soft). Then I take a 1.8mm precision screwdriver and do 6 full wraps, which gives me a "6/7 micro coil". I make two of these 6/7 microcoils and load them into an Orchid or on my Stillare V2 RDA most of the time, it comes out to somewhere around .7Ω when using G-Plat...

I take 1 good pull from my mech mod and im in-taking a lot more vapor and flavor = a more enjoyable vape then i could ever get with like a iTaste SVD + Kayfun.

Do yourself a favor though, if you buy a mech mod, buy an inexpensive, tried & true, well built, inexpensive RDA to go with it (to experiment). A good entry level RDA is a Patriot RDA - get the authentic, not clone.

I recommend a clone mech mod (to save money). Make sure your mech mod has silver plated contacts, it does make a difference. I spoted this one the other day, looked like a solid clone:

HCigar Cartel V1 Mod Clone Limited Edition Stainless Steel

Good RDA's -

Tobh Atty V2.5 | Cloudscape Vape
Indulgence Mutation X V2 Rebuildable Drip Atomizer - IN STOCK!

Or if you want to keep it with a box mod, you can accomplish the same thing with these two as long as you don't go under .2ohm on your builds:

IPV -
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=bZlDfr2-FnSnKgv8NAsK_w&bvm=bv.80185997,d.dGc

Sig-100w
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=Om5cC7p7cYbED_KnR7Dm3A&bvm=bv.80185997,d.dGc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VV devices and tanks are step#1 into vaping, moving to RTA's RDA's Box Mods and Mech's are step #2. The bottom line is this - going down the Mech Mod road will open more options for you, period. You aren't restricted by your VV device... to me.. it's a no brainer, and you couldn't pay me to go back to my eGo Twist + Clearomizer tank...

hope this helps you on your quest to stay analog free - be safe.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
I really want to try a mech mod, but after smoking for 40 years I'm not really after more vapor = more enjoyment. Currently using using 1300mAh - 1600mAH twist clones, E-Mech, MVP 2.0 are my devices. Single Evod type coils rebuilt with cotton. They put out way more smoke and flavor than a real cig. I'm scared to try a mech mod. I'd probably love it! :) I'm sticking where I'm at and lowering nic levels a bit at a time. Started at 24mg to get off the death sticks, 8 months later I'm at 12mg. I can now run up 5 flights of stairs and not be out of breath. At 55 years old and 40 years of tobacco use my body is fixing itself. Go Me!...lol I can see the attraction of mech mods. Big time, I want them. But 41 years of blowing clouds is enough for me. I've even got a Fogger V4 and a pair of VTC5 batteries. But I stopped myself from joining the dark side :p.
- Joe

Last edited:

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
I really want to try a mech mod, but after smoking for 40 years I'm not really after more vapor = more enjoyment. Currently using using 1300mAh - 1600mAH twist clones, E-Mech, MVP 2.0 are my devices. Single Evod type coils rebuilt with cotton. They put out way more smoke and flavor than a real cig. I'm scared to try a mech mod. I'd probably love it! :) I'm sticking where I'm at and lowering nic levels a bit at a time. Started at 24mg to get off the death sticks, 8 months later I'm at 12mg. I can now run up 5 flights of stairs and not be out of breath. At 55 years old and 40 years of tobacco use my body is fixing itself. Go Me!...lol I can see the attraction of mech mods. Big time, I want them. But 41 years of blowing clouds is enough for me. I've even got a Fogger V4 and a pair of VTC5 batteries. But I stopped myself from joining the dark side :p.
- Joe

Nothing wrong with that equipment! Mechanicals are really more about having a fail-safe device with no electronics to fail, and the aesthetics of a well designed and machined device - i.e. it's a luxury, not a necessity.
And plenty of mech users (like me) build coils at 1.5 ohms and feel no urge to blow clouds or do lung hits.

Well done on quitting smokes! I tried lowering nicotine for a while, but I didn't like it, so I'm just going to live with the addiction. Same as with caffeine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread