Whats up with the 510 adaptors for the PS PT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
Ok, perfect ordering it now, I didnt see it because i was looking at the adapters at this page PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!
which doesnt list the adapter, thanks a bunch.

I also have a second ? if anyone knows, from what i gathered i should be able to plug the usb directly into my pc, but as i keep reading i see many discussing that they connect the usb pt into a kensington thing or some other usb powered source.

So what is the best way to power the ps pt and is a good pc good enough to achieve the 5v vape everyone is going crazy for.??

Last edited:

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
there is a few reasons you may not want to risk your computer or laptop.... one being They're expensive. i WILL NOT be plugging my PT adapter to my computer: it was over 3 thousand dollars and i'm still paying it off. my laptop was only 700 (NO WHERE NEAR as powerful but still, expensive to me). connecting something that *could* short out on a really bad day... there's no telling what it could do to a 300 dollar motherboard or anything connected to it.

another being, your USB ports could be "Underpowered" AKA only 500 milliamps. 1000 milliamps is recommended... (shoot me if my terminology isn't correct on the "amps" its 1:30 am and i dont wanna look it up).

I dont have the link handy but there are some super cheap & effective power sources that plug into your wall or car lighter and provide the right amperage. both of which i will need soon myself. There are also some portable usb charger things available that are much more expensive that are like a big battery that you charge with a wall or car charger then could bring on the go... although i dont think i'll get one of these... i think i want to replace my glass pipettes with a .2-2ml pipettor while cash gets the prodigy v2's ready. not to mention xmas is like right there. which means 3 days later DANGIT! another year older.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Ok, perfect ordering it now, I didnt see it because i was looking at the adapters at this page PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

Those are for the aluminum adapters, you want the SS ones.

Get a power pack or usb wall plug, no need to risk your PC, I do, but i am crazy, so there you go.

Gibby

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
well i ordered the 510 ss one so im set .

I do have 2 usb wallchargers that i recieved from e-cigs i bought but im not sure if they are good but what model or what is this kensington thing, ill go buy it but i dont know what im looking for.

I appreciate your help people. I really do. I never thought in a million years that i would be able to quit smoking, you just gotta love vaping, it saved my life.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
well i ordered the 510 ss one so im set .

I do have 2 usb wallchargers that i recieved from e-cigs i bought but im not sure if they are good but what model or what is this kensington thing, ill go buy it but i dont know what im looking for.

I appreciate your help people. I really do. I never thought in a million years that i would be able to quit smoking, you just gotta love vaping, it saved my life.

The wall chargers would be good if they are rated at 1A (1000mA) or better.

The Kensington part number is K38021US or K33396US. The units are identical and actually sport both part numbers on the back. The difference is in the cables you get with them. the 33396 comes with an iPod/iPhone sync cable. Check both when looking, I actually got the one with the iPhone cable for less than I found just the pack.

Amazon has the K33396US for $24.99 right now, which is a killer deal. I bought it for $39.99 about two weeks ago. The K38021US is $50.47. It's the same unit... the 38021 just isn't on sale.

Last edited:

The_janty_Misfit

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
New York City

I also have a second ? if anyone knows, from what i gathered i should be able to plug the usb directly into my pc, but as i keep reading i see many discussing that they connect the usb pt into a kensington thing or some other usb powered source.

So what is the best way to power the ps pt and is a good pc good enough to achieve the 5v vape everyone is going crazy for.??

I tried the Kensington battery pack alone and found it going out when I tried vaping from it. Then, I tried plugging it into my *powered* usb hub: the computer balked and sent up an error message telling me that a device was drawing too much power and the port it had been attached to had been turned off.

By trial and error, I found that the Kensington battery pack doesn't shut itself off if it is attached to a usb port with the PureSmoker passthrough attached to it. The result: the PT functions perfectly. It is no exaggeration to say that it has not failed, nor caused any hiccups in my computer since I lucked into this arrangement.

It's producing clouds of really tasty vapor, shortening atomizer life and generally having a high-old-time for itself. Try it with a nice 510 atomizer and a strong-flavored eliquid, you'll want to call your friends and for a hookah party.

Hope you found this useful.

The_janty_Misfit

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
New York City
Here is what I bought for use at home. It was originally posted by markarich159:

USB Dual Power Adapter

I have one and it does work just great. You can't beat the price.

Kevin

This one works great. Its 2 amp usb ac adapter:
usb power adapter
.net

About $5 or $6 after shipping.
Another forum member found them.

I just bought one. They take paypal, and the total cost with shipping for where I am is$3.90. Even if it's total crap, that's not a big bite at all.

Thanks! Now I can put my iPod charger back on my iPod!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread