What's with the nonsmokers being so happy I quit smoking and then asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonladee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2011
Louisiana
Whenever someone asks me about my e-cig, and I sing its' praises and talk about how I haven't had a cigarette since last June, the conversation regularly ends up here. As if no matter what I say they think that this is just as bad and I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. It has been implied that I am fooling myself, just believing what I want to believe to serve my habit.

At first it kindof offended me. I felt that they were negating what I believe to be a positive accomplishment. "Well tsk that's ok but when are you going to quit that? How are you better off if now you are just addicted to something else?"

It didn't take me long to figure out that I just have to not give a crap what those people say and that sometimes people just choose to have closed minds. I politely explain how I feel and then if they really cared and wanted to know the truth they could research it themselves instead of just continually trying to make me feel bad about it. I know the difference. I know what a great thing I have done for myself and those I live with to get off the analogs. The rest of it is just petty and has no bearing on my choices or feelings unless I allow it!

mudshovel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
IL
To me it's kind of like an overweight, unfit person who starts to eat right and go to the gym religiously. I'm not BIG into eating right and working out, but the wife and I did do a 12 week transformation workout/diet program and caught crap from alot of people because we wouldn't eat the same fatty foods as them and couldn't stay out late with them drinking because we had a workout to do in the morning. Some were supportive however, but alot of them I think just realized how bad it made them feel that they weren't doing anything about their problems. You think ALL of them would be happy with the positive changes we've made in our lives. Awe well, I know what I'm going to do to live a longer/healthier life.

jch419

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
OH USA
www.smokerevolt.com
Yes, people tend to give a squint-eye to anything that they don't understand or know much about. Tell you what, I'll take the 3-5 ingredients in e-liquid to the 400-500 found in typical cigarettes ANY DAY. Plus there's way more flavors and variety with vaping. All you can do it try to educate those people on the benefits and at the end of the day, don't let it get you down-you know why you switched and it's your body, not theirs :).

mudshovel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
IL
yeah ,I get alot of "WHAT IS THAT THING?" When I tell them an its electronic cigarette. Their response is usually, " Well it doesn't look like it" As if they even know what an electronic cigarette REALLY can look like.. some people are polite enough to not even ask, but they sure look at it but act like they're not.. I just let them wonder.. LOL

Uni*corn*Prinzess

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Iowa
Last person did that to me I replied "Its a personal powered pack with a replaceable rechargeable battery that hold 1.2mg of liquid. It give off a vapor that I inhale into my lungs. It contain flavorings, Propylene Glycol, liquid sweetener, Vegetable Glycerin and 18mg of C10 H14 N2." Knowing they ask what the last part is "Nicotine" Then ask them do they have any more unintelligent question?..........lol

taylerrrae

Feb 22, 2012
Seattle
I've only made it just about 4 days without an analog, and the second day my dad goes "You know, that's not really quitting. You're still addicted to the nicotine."
My response: "Dad, I understand that I still am addicted to the nicotine. And one day, when I feel up to it, I will start weening myself off the nicotine. But do you really think that this is the same? Yes, I'm still getting nicotine... Only without the thousands, if not millions, of other harmful chemicals and additives. I'm just happy that I'm not slowly killing myself anymore. You should be too."
It shut him RIGHT up.

Pete99

Sep 7, 2011
Saginaw, MI
Don't worry about it. I am sure that you, like me, feel the difference, every time you have to walk a flight of stairs.

Yes, you still have a nicotine addiction. Yes, you are still a candidate for some of the maladies associated with cigarettes, especially hypertension and heart attack.

What you have done is eliminate the carcinogens, the carbon monoxide, and the tar.

ravendove

Jul 28, 2012
California
As soon as I switched, it didn't take very long for other people to ask when I would quit vaping. "But your spending money on electronic cigarettes and you already quit smoking! Why do you even need anymore vaping stuff?". I swear I was so annoyed, I wanted to make a snappy remark. All I could do was try to maintain a level head and reply... When it is time, it will happen. (When I'm good and ready of course! Shh! :sneaky: :p ) Despite everything inside of me saying "Bite them!" :facepalm:

Last edited:

Cherinny

Sep 10, 2012
New York, USA
My husband keeps asking me when I will quit vaping. Really annoys me then I get mad at him. I smoked for 29 years. He never smoked a day in his life. So he doesn't know what it is like to quit. He got mad because I got a package today. Its a lower dose of nicotine. He didn't say too much after that. At least I am making an effort. but it is not going to happen over night. Should I poke him in the eye. LOL

GiddyLydia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
Kentucky
My husband keeps asking me when I will quit vaping. Really annoys me then I get mad at him. I smoked for 29 years. He never smoked a day in his life. So he doesn't know what it is like to quit. He got mad because I got a package today. Its a lower dose of nicotine. He didn't say too much after that. At least I am making an effort. but it is not going to happen over night. Should I poke him in the eye. LOL

You gave up 1000+ nasty things in cigarettes. What you have left is nicotine. It's a mild stimulant. Are you allowed no small pleasures in life? Your husband is not exposed to second hand smoke, and you are not poisoning his wife. He no longer has a dog in this fight and should "conduct himself accordingly"*

* Not the first three words that came to mind. lol

Last edited:

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
I have one family member who is almost as judgmental of vaping as smoking. The "why even bother" attitude. But he fought in Vietnam so I cut him some slack. Anyone who risked their life in a war deserves that.

I have an uncle who has always been very anti smoking. Not rude to smokers, but we have always known where he stands in the family. I saw him for the first time since switching to vaping over the holidays. He was very curious, asked a bunch of the typical questions that the uninformed asked, and of course asked about cutting nic and quitting vaping. But he asked in the honestly curious and happy about the changes I have made way, not in the that's-no-better-than-smoking kind of way. It's nice to have wonderful people in your life supporting your decision. :D

iowajosh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
iowa
Okay, so still the nonsmokers in my life are all super happy for me that I quit smoking, but alot of them keep asking after saying how great it is, so when are you going to quit vaping? What is that? Is this just me, or is anybody else getting this? I quit smoking after 30 years. I feel extremely annoyed and angry with them, that they are so freaking rude. As if there is any comparison. So, am I alone with this? What do you say, cause I say I have absolutely no intention of stopping since I had no intention of starting. It happened when the better part of me said hey, try that, while cruising the internet. Lucky me for being in a mood to act!

You get comments from people who aren't addicted to anything. Or even worse, the ones who can quit cold turkey. The cold turkey ones are a vicious crowd. They can harbor the most resentment towards people that can't quit like they did. If we were cold turkey people, we wouldn't be here.

I sure do like having a sense of smell. It was gone for a long time.

Also, I think having a hobby to tinker with is a lot easier to supplant smoking rather than not doing something. Like a diet where you just don't eat much, won't work for a lot of people.

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
As the minority, we had better watch it, lest the majority vote us out of the country. Mobocracy, I mean democracy in action. You may have heard this before. democracy is like two wolves & one sheep voting on whats for lunch! Can I get a consensus?
If the majority believes something it is always wrong.
Keith

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
I don't think that's odd, does that make me odd? If so, I think I'm okay with that! It's like a personal special effect - Look, I can make smoke come out of my mouth! Lol, sorry, had a work party, wine was served and consumed for a few hours....

LOL. Its magic! Look mommy, he's a dragon.
Keith

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
6 bucks a pack you say, I've been paying almost $14 a pack in Canada, the government is a lot greedier here :)

All of these self righteous non smokers that sanction (they love it) punitive taxation on tobacco, just wait till they come (and they will)for their 'fat burgers!' Today tobacco, tomorrow fat. TV has been shown (after so many hrs) to be detrimental to one's mental health. How about a $10 tax on every hr over the limit? They will saying 'that's not fair!' The Beatles tune 'taxman' was quite the prophetic song.
Keith

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
I sing this at-um (Its best if you know the tune).
WILLIAMS, SR., HANK
Words and music by hank williams, sr.

If the [d] wife and I are fussin, brother thats our right
cause me and that sweet womans got a license to fight [d7]
Why dont you [g7] mind your own business
(mind [d] your own business)
cause if you mind [a7] your business, then you wont be mindin [d] mine.

Oh, the woman on our party lines the nosiest thing
She picks up her receiver when she knows its my ring
Why dont you mind your own business
(mind your own business)
Well, if mind your business, then you wont be mindin mine.

If my woman stay out til two or three
Now, brother thats my headache, dont you worry bout me.
Just mind your own business
(mind your own business)
If mind your business, then you wont be mindin mine.

If I get my head beat black and blue
Now thats my wife and my stove wood too
Just mind your own business
(mind your own business)
If mind your business, then you wont be mindin mine.

I got a little gal that wears her hair up high,
The boys all whistel when she walks bye.
Mind your own buisness blah blah, you sure wont be minding mine.

Mindin other peoples business seems to be high-toned
I got all that I can do just to mind my own
Why dont you mind your own business
(mind your own business)
If you mind your own business, youll stay busy all the time. If I choose to stay up all night and vape, mind your own business don't be filled with hate. Mind your own business (mind your own business)

Keith (who co-wrote this with Hank)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread