What's YOUR favorite PG/VG ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjg123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
I feel like it depends on what type of flavor your going for. Like sweets and what not can be a bit more VG to make em smoother and something more "manly" like tobacco or caramel and sich should be higher in PG.

Also what type of device are you going to be using? Im using an RBA and a RDA which is awesome with higher VG blends. My juice right now is 70/30 VG/PG. I like bigger clouds and because its not feeding from a tank into a carto thickness doesnt matter and with these more advanced devices more VG is actually better. Like Perfect Clouds liquids have way more VG in them, thus being thicker and producing more clouds.

fjg123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
oh yeah and in regards to VG muting flavors, its true it will do that. So I mess with the flavoring percentages. more flavoring for more VG and less flavoring for PG.

I once made a 90% VG caramel and it made HUGE clouds but had almost no flavor because the last 10% was the caramel. Probably should kick up that Caramel

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Yep...u can make 57/43 juices if u want.....I tried it all when I started.

Have fun.....jot down what flavors u use and how much u use of everything....just in case its excellent....You can then make more exactly the same...or adjust it according to the percentages you used last time (use slightly more of one flavor, maybe slightly less of another)

After a few months you'll be surprised what u can make.

BrendaE

Oct 21, 2012
Texas
I agree with Red_Bird...The most important part of diy is having fun and experimenting.
If you want an exact ratio, your nic base vg/pg ratio is only part of the equation. Most flavors are pg based, so the amount of flavor used should probably count toward your pg amount. I generally buy 100% pg based nic. This way, I add the mls of nic base to the # of mls of flavor, which gives a pretty accurate pg total. Then it's just a matter of adding the amount of pure vg you want to acheive your desired ration.

i.e. If I want to make 10ml of 20vg/80pg, I mix 8ml of nic base and flavor, then top it off with 2 ml of vg.

But...I blend juice the same way I cook ~ a little bit of this, a little bit of that and then adjust as desired.
Unlike my cooking, though...I DO keep notes when I blend juices. I write down each 'ingredient' as I am making it, then add notes as I vape it.

VG adds sweetness ~ if you want a juice that is sweet, but not too thick, you can add a bit of sweetener or (my preference) "cotton candy" flavor (tpa/tfa brand ~ "plain" cotton candy, not circus). I know there is a proper name for the 'flavor' ~ it's also sold as a sweetener ~ but can't remember what it's called. Perhaps someone else can offer that tid-bit of info.

The "sweetener" reminds me of saccharin, whereas "cotton candy" sweetness is a bit more subtle & also seems to balance some flavors ~ not sure if that's the right term. Just my :2c:

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I like 50/50 as I find it the right amount of vape cloud and flavor. I also think I have a minor pg allergy in that if i go over say 60% pg i will cough.

All this said, I recommend you get the juice me up calculator (there's a sticky somewhere). It really takes all the guess work out of final ratios. Take an hour or two to familiarize yourself with each and every field. Once you have a good understanding, this tool makes DIY juice very easy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread