When 510 atties die...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you have a good 510 atty that's lasted a while, no problems, how does it usually die? *POOF* dead, or is it generally more gradual, with decreasing vapor production over time?

Just wondering because I'm still on my first two atties, and one of them was basically doa so I've never seen one die.

~CTdl

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
If you have a good 510 atty that's lasted a while, no problems, how does it usually die? *POOF* dead, or is it generally more gradual, with decreasing vapor production over time?

Just wondering because I'm still on my first two atties, and one of them was basically doa so I've never seen one die.

~CTdl

I think if you are caring for and using the atty properly, it should gradually slow down and die. If you are really banging on attys, running them too hot too long, starving the heater of juice a lot, clogging them and flooding them a lot, and thus running them too hot, then they can just die cold and dead all at once. Its actually taken me a few months to really learn how to make them last. Of course that does not mean there are not some ready-to-die ones new in the pack out there, but it seems how we treat them is a huge factor in their lifetime.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think if you are caring for and using the atty properly, it should gradually slow down and die. If you are really banging on attys, running them too hot too long, starving the heater of juice a lot, clogging them and flooding them a lot, and thus running them too hot, then they can just die cold and dead all at once. Its actually taken me a few months to really learn how to make them last. Of course that does not mean there are not some ready-to-die ones new in the pack out there, but it seems how we treat them is a huge factor in their lifetime.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear to be honest. After reading tons of stuff about cleaning and dying atties here, I've decided to simply blow out my atties every night before bed (using compressed air, blowing by mouth just doesn't compare) and then sitting them threads up on a paper towel.

I will only soak the atties when there is a problem with juice congealing in the wicking or if there's a bad taste I cant get out. If it gets to the point where I have to soak an atty, I will hope it makes it through, but the few times I've put my atties in Crest Pro Health Mouthwash (forgot to blow out the atty 2 nights, the 3rd day I got a nasty burnt juice taste) I never have any expectations for them: If they die, they die, but they're unusable with that taste so it's worth a try.

So far, no deaths. The soak worked great to get the taste out (although I didn't wash the mouthwash out well enough, so had to vape on that taste for a while). The only atty I have that has any issues was one of the two that came with my first 510 kit, which arrived basically DOA. Not going to mention the supplier, as this is not a problem with the merchant, but with the inconsistent build quality of true joye 510 atties.

~CTdl

hovermind

Dec 14, 2009
so cali
I have a question, after I blow out the attys and let them sit over night so they get dry, do you drop 1-2 drops of e-liquid when you're using a cart also? I don't do the drip method with the empty cartridge but I've been dropping 1-2 drops into a dry atty with a full cart when vaping. Am I supposed to just pop the dry atty on with a full cart and start vaping? I've noticed all my attys just don't produce the amount of vapor as they did the first time. I don't want to do any of the pepsi/water/etc cleaning and rather dry the attys over night and rotate them each day but they all just gradually don't produce the vapor anymore.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I have a question, after I blow out the attys and let them sit over night so they get dry, do you drop 1-2 drops of e-liquid when you're using a cart also? I don't do the drip method with the empty cartridge but I've been dropping 1-2 drops into a dry atty with a full cart when vaping. Am I supposed to just pop the dry atty on with a full cart and start vaping? I've noticed all my attys just don't produce the amount of vapor as they did the first time. I don't want to do any of the pepsi/water/etc cleaning and rather dry the attys over night and rotate them each day but they all just gradually don't produce the vapor anymore.

Yes, a couple drops on the bridge of a freshly cleaned atty along with a full cart is a good thing to do. The bridge can need a little liquid on board to get wicking to start from the cart. Just don't flood the atty. Although often a flooded atty will unflood by simply vaping with the batt pointing up, thus getting warm juice to flow out of the atty holes and towards the cart.

Also, sometimes gurgling is not a flooded atty, but rather flooded whistle holes in the cart. If you look at the cart part that fits into the atty housing, there are two little rounded holes on either side on the flat sides. This is where air flows, not through the filler. Sometimes extra juice will get in there, making it seem like the atty is flooded.

Aucorium

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
I've had a bit of a bad time recently with attys, I had one stolwart one that just seemed to go on forever and I gave it a lot of abuse then I had another that lasted just over a week.

The problem I have is knowing when to throw in the towel with them, i've had one that just died, fine thats easy, then i've had others that just plain taste bad and done some soaking, then i've had others that just dont give any vapour. In my experience when they start going, its all down hill from that point on - yes tinkering seems to help but it can be a rocky ride.

The tell tale sign for me that something isnt quite right is juice in the mouth. However I am trying some different techniques now as I think i've been a bit heavy with the juice in the past aiming for that ultimate hit.

I'm resolute in the fact that I need to have a good stock of these and they are really disposable items, which if not working correctly can seriously spoil the whole vaping experience.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
One tip I can pass along is to never let the atty sit and "dry". When I switch to an alternate atty and just want to give a working a rest I put one of those cart silicone caps on the threaded end, put a cart on it that has some liquid in it. For long term storage I repeat the previous steps and place the atty into a ziplock bag remove the air and seal the bag.

If you are finishing up from a cleaning cycle you should flush the atty out with running hot water. After flushing the atty out well simply blow into the cart end of the atty, at times stopping up the large opening on the end, air hole. Once you have gotten it blown out completely you can drip 3 to 5 drops of juice and let the atty sit for about 5 minutes. Then install a full cart and put the atty on a good strong battery. Take a couple of short puffs and then lay the e-cig down on it's side for about another 5 minutes to allow the atty to begin wicking the fluid. Then take it back up and begin vaping as usual.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I'm resolute in the fact that I need to have a good stock of these and they are really disposable items, which if not working correctly can seriously spoil the whole vaping experience.

That's a great way to put it. I have used primarily M401s up to this point and while there are sometimes dud atomizers, I can usually tell from the get-go whether they are going to be good or not. Now that I am using more 510 atties with mods, I have noticed that some of them are only great for a week or two. After that I'm fiddling with batteries and juice to get a good vape. They also tend to leak a little at this point, probably due to overdoing the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread