When Life Gives You Lemons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlit

Jun 9, 2011
United Kingdom
Been lurking for a week or two, figured I'd drop by to share my experiences with vaping thus far and lend some words of encouragement to new vapers.

Until 6 days ago, I was a roll-your-own tobacco smoker, really rather enjoyed it (or so I thought), though a few weeks ago I was bought an uber-cheap disposable e-cig because I'd mentioned months ago that I wouldn't mind giving them a shot. Total Cigarettes "In-Flight" in case anyone's interested.

It was mediocre, it vaped well enough though it tasted like pepper flavoured ashtray. I got used to it, not wanting to waste it. I continued smoking analogues while I used it up, thinking that if I did get into vaping then I'd mix it up with real fags and see how it was as I went. The disposable eventually ran out and, since it wasn't unbearable, I figured a "real" e-cig had to be better, I wanted to give it a fair crack.

So having done copious research, reading the boards, watching the youtube reviews and such, I ordered a DSE901, a PCC and a small bottle of Dr Pepper juice and sat about twiddling my thumbs waiting for the mail. It arrived about 6 days ago.

Nobody would've bet on it, not even me, but I haven't smoked since. Ok, I had a couple of drags from an analogue when I thought I was going to run out of juice, but it tasted like I'd just licked up the remains of a bonfire. It lasted about 2 drags before it, along with my ashtray, were promptly removed from view.

Anyway, the 901. How was it? Well, to be quite honest it was a bit rocky. I found the throat hit inconsistent, the flavour non-existent and all that cart filler stuff was getting on my wick (if you'll excuse the pun). The included carts were tolerable but not what I would've called enjoyable and the Dr Pepper liquid tasted of nothing in particular.

Getting a little frustrated, I googled and youtubed for people who had the same experience but for a beginner it seems a lot like everyone else is having a right old blast but, for some unexplainable reason, it just kinda sucks (ahem). Now, given the amount of positive opinions on vaping, I knew there had to be more to it. Maybe I got crappy liquid or my e-cig was a dud. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. Maybe it's because I was hoping for it to be more like a cigarette. As far as I'm aware it was none of those things. I even tried a Fluval mod which helped a little, but not enough to "fix" it for me.

So I ordered another atty, a drip tip and some more juices. They arrived today and while I've spent most of today rinsing filler, wondering where my flavour's at and dousing my hands and desk in fluid, I've finally arrived at what I'm going to call a pleasant vaping experience. Other than the vile taste of the new atty, that is. That, and the whisky juice. Bad, bad, bad idea. The only real flavour I'd got from my e-cig and it was a flavour I didn't like. Go figure. Why I thought buying whisky liquid when I don't like whisky was a good idea I'll never know, but hey, live and learn.

Tossing my pile of wet pile of carts aside and rinsing the whisky taste out of everything, I popped in the drip tip and dropped in some lemon e-juice. Hey. Wait. What's this? Flavour? It... it tastes of something! Not quite lemon but a reasonable approximation of something trying to taste like it. This is progress. Throat hit? Well, there isn't any. But that's ok. This doesn't have to be like smoking an analogue for me to enjoy it. It's only 8mg juice but despite my recent ditching of the ashy sticks, it seems to be doing the trick. The best part? It tastes and feels like smoking lemon shisha in a hookah pipe. Awesome.

Now, the other juices aren't tasting like much, even the highly praised RY4. Between that and the cola, I'm half convinced I got brief, extremely weak mirages of flavour, nothing that I could say is an actual taste. I'm going to put that down to the dead tastebuds theory for now and I'll see how it comes along in the weeks ahead. I might also have crappy juice but I can't tell yet, there's no point ordering a stockpile of juices just at the moment, just enough to keep me ticking along will be just fine.

To sum up:
I've smoked no fags for almost a week, it's amazing how easily the e-cig replaced the a-cigs.
Don't give up because the atty or the liquid tastes like carp. That's not the full experience. Give it a fair crack at working out the kinks.
Cigarettes taste like eating the contents of a burnt out fire grate.

Cheers, happy vaping. :D

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
it's a tough battle finding your vape. 4 months in and I still need 3 or 4 different juices. what I vaped for 2 days as my main vape tasted kinda crappy to me today so am on another flavour. and your taste buds will come back eventually. I honestly didn't like ry4 when I started vaping and that's what I am vaping today (mixed 50/50 with a cig flavour). as your tastes change you'll find you might like some of those flavours... I don't like whiskey but found a whiskey tobacco that is quite tasty.

I also really like unflavoured. 50/50 pg/vg and it's about as close to analog smoking as any tobacco flavour. it's also 33mg nic so has tons of throat hit. you might even give that a try.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Welcome.

Heck, order some flavoring with the juices if you want to boost it (some places have both). Or check into DIY. Are you getting enough nic? I'm kinda surprised at the no-flavor thing, but IDK about DSE901's. I wouldn't think they kill the flavor. Maybe just not performing up to snuff?

"The vile taste of the new atty" part gives me pause....Maybe some DSE901 users will comment further.

Glad to hear you are near the 1 week mark. Keep it up!

moonlit

Jun 9, 2011
United Kingdom
it's a tough battle finding your vape. 4 months in and I still need 3 or 4 different juices. what I vaped for 2 days as my main vape tasted kinda crappy to me today so am on another flavour. and your taste buds will come back eventually. I honestly didn't like ry4 when I started vaping and that's what I am vaping today (mixed 50/50 with a cig flavour). as your tastes change you'll find you might like some of those flavours... I don't like whiskey but found a whiskey tobacco that is quite tasty.

I also really like unflavoured. 50/50 pg/vg and it's about as close to analog smoking as any tobacco flavour. it's also 33mg nic so has tons of throat hit. you might even give that a try.

This whole finding your flavour thing seems pretty tricky, especially if you've just kicked the fags, I can see it's gonna take a while to settle. I'm not sure I actually want to find a tobacco flavour now, I'm rather enjoying the experience as it is and I don't think I need to try and replicate the real thing. I've seen people say that it's not smoking and it's not meant to be, I can really see that first hand now.

As for the flavourless stuff, I'm curious, isn't that just kinda breathing thick air? I say I've not found flavour in some of the stuff I've been vaping, but I suppose I mean I haven't found a distinct, pleasant flavour... almost no flavour at all seems odd. Something I might give a shot at some point though, just to see how it is.

Congrats on the one week milestone. Hang in there, it will get even easier! The DSE901 is a good (not great) model. I would recommend getting lots of sampler size bottles in various nicotine strengths until you find something you LOVE.

At that point, it becomes really easy! Experimenting is part of the fun.

Thanks. I can really see how it becomes a hobby, I'm gonna have to try out a lot more juices I think, and I'm already eyeing up a couple of mods, lol. Gonna try and keep the costs down a bit for now but I'm pretty sure I'm always going to have something new in mind to buy. As for nicotine strengths, I've tried 24mg (came with the 901), 18mg, 14mg and 8mg, and for the ultra-smoothness I think I actually really like the low nic stuff. I'll have to see how it works out when it comes to cravings, but I can see myself sticking to the lower end of the scale, despite my 10 year preference for a good kick out of a proper cigarette.

Funny thing, this vaping, you might expect to want as close an experience to a real smoke as possible, but I guess it varies from person to person (much like every other aspect of vaping, now I come to think of it).

moonlit

Jun 9, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome.

Heck, order some flavoring with the juices if you want to boost it (some places have both). Or check into DIY. Are you getting enough nic? I'm kinda surprised at the no-flavor thing, but IDK about DSE901's. I wouldn't think they kill the flavor. Maybe just not performing up to snuff?

"The vile taste of the new atty" part gives me pause....Maybe some DSE901 users will comment further.

Glad to hear you are near the 1 week mark. Keep it up!

I'm kinda juggling the 14mg RY4 and the 8mg lemon at the moment, seems to be doing the trick nic-wise. Thought about DIYing, it's definitely on my list of stuff to try, but I think I'm gonna get settled with the premade stuff just for now, get my bearings a bit first.

The atty thing, well, it seems to have been a temporary thing, it's behaving itself a bit more now, gave it a bit of a rinse and blew it out and all that malarky, doesn't taste foul any more, so that's positive. Flavour... well, I'm not really sure yet, I've got nothing to compare to, being such a newb, but I'd be interested to hear more opinions on that, especially from other people who quit the analogues while switching.

Thanks for the congrats also. :)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Just fyi - you do need to smell the vapor. The tongue can only taste sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami (msg). So some juices will have little flavor. And unlike cigarettes, ecigs do not dump smoke all over you so you have to remember to smell it.

But I know what you mean. Some juices are pretty weak. Keep trying.

Last edited:

sam.8

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hey, congrats on switching over. I'm only a little over a month. All in all it went pretty smoothly for me. I tried a friend's analog after 2 weeks of vaping and it was horrible. I never have had that experience in prior quit attempts.

I find I'm tasting more now than when i started. I've had about 20 flavors. None have been horrible. I seem to stick to tobacco flavors as the sweet gets to me after a while. But like others have said, seems to depend on the day.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it out along the way :)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
BTW - I started on 18mg and worked my way down. There is one 4MG juice that still gives me decent TH. In 8MG it would be even better - Vapor4Life WOW juice WOWbacco which is mostly cocoa to me. It has a sharp edge to it. And their WOWboy is the same with some mint added. Their WOW Vanilla is very sweet and marshmallowy and also has a sharp edge to me when there is nicotine in it. I like to alternate WOWbacco with a sweet juice (a vanilla or fruit).

Another fave of mine is Velvet Vapor Raspberry Gingerale and w/ a bit of nicotine you will think you are breathing gingerale. They also have plain gingerale.

I use cartomizers to keep my flavors separate and cartos are just less hassle. I use Boges on 510 (the msot popular and slim 510 needs the standard resistance only, not LR) and Vapor4Life cartos on KR8. Just never use cartos for testing juices. I only put my favorite juices in cartos and a few runner-ups. Only some people are able to clean and dry and reuse cartos and even then the quality of the vape may be not as good after cleaning.

Last edited:

CdnBison

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg
Juice flavor is really up to the individual. Myself, I LOVE my whiskey flavor, but am growing sick of tobacco flavors and find the lemon juice I ordered tastes more like a lemon cough drop than actual lemon. I was really disappointed in that one.

And, if I could make any one suggestion to juice vendors out there, it would be this: sell samplers, with as many flavors as possible. Even if they are 3mL bottles, just the chance to try something makes a big difference. Personally speaking, I don't want to drop money on unknown flavors...

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
Your subject line caught my eye because my signature line used to be: If life gives you lemons, keep 'em! Cos hey, free lemons!
And then I start reading and find you've got a 901 which is my main pv for over 2 years now. You will find that as your taste buds start to recover you will find your juices more flavorful. The 901 is one of the best in highlighting the flavor of a juice. There also seems to be a 3-7 day atty break in period. I'm going through that right now and really looking forward to these 2 new attys finally waking up. Vapor production sucks until then. Hang in there, it only gets better!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
moonlit, the 901 is a very airy draw compared to other models. I know some people like it but I don't care for it. However, I like the LR901's better. They give more flavor and vapor but I'm not sure if you can use low resistance on your batteries. Please check before doing it if you go that route.

Also, let your juices steep. If they are made to order and not from China (DeKang) the flavor needs to blend with the other ingredients. You will be surprised at what steeping does for a juice. Some are good right away and others are not.

I also suggest that you get a bottle of higher nic for those times that you want to choke the daylights out of someone. I've come to learn to keep it handy. It helps with a craving during that time.

Please don't give up. Smoking is horrible to me now. I can hardly stand near someone that is puffing away on a cigarette. I still can't believe that I subjected myself to that for so many years.

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
Welcome Moonlit, and congrats. Good post! As you've found, finding your happy vaping place requires patience and experimentation. It is possible though. Seven weeks in and my journey has taken me through three different types of kit to settle on an atomizer system I can live with, a couple of mods to give the features and battery life I want, and mixing my my own liquid to get flavours I like. Now I'm pretty settled, loving vaping, and do not miss my 35 + year rollup habit one little bit. Smelling fresher, being able to breathe and taste again, you know the drill. And I'm still enjoying puffing away. It really is all good so hang in there, it just keeps getting better.

My main frustration, being in the UK like you, is finding places to buy from. Currently waiting for a Provari to be sent over from the USA, and the US postal service seems to be behaving just like our own Post Office :glare:

moonlit

Jun 9, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome Moonlit, and congrats. Good post! As you've found, finding your happy vaping place requires patience and experimentation. It is possible though. Seven weeks in and my journey has taken me through three different types of kit to settle on an atomizer system I can live with, a couple of mods to give the features and battery life I want, and mixing my my own liquid to get flavours I like. Now I'm pretty settled, loving vaping, and do not miss my 35 + year rollup habit one little bit. Smelling fresher, being able to breathe and taste again, you know the drill. And I'm still enjoying puffing away. It really is all good so hang in there, it just keeps getting better.

My main frustration, being in the UK like you, is finding places to buy from. Currently waiting for a Provari to be sent over from the USA, and the US postal service seems to be behaving just like our own Post Office :glare:

Blimey, it's busy round here, eh? Never expected so many replies... That's one issue I'm going to have to get used to with vaping, the wait for supplies, a mis-timed delivery might be disasterous. Still, I've found Liberty Flights to be excellent, both of my orders have arrived in very good time, so bonus points for them.

Cheers for the positive words and whatnot everyone, quite a community here, got a built in support group, hehe.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Good first post for your welcome to ECF and the world of the 'Electro-...' :laugh:

I'm a relative newcomer to all this as well and getting heavily into it financially - but having fun at the same time and enjoying my new hobby - as I hope you will continue to enjoy yours!

Saludos desde Mexico (from another Brit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread