Where is vaping going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil P

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
I don't understand how we have got to wherever we are today.

I started vaping to get me off the cigarettes almost 3 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Believe it or not i think that the gear that was out back then was the reason I was able to transition from those horrible stinky,s to vaping so easily. Back then most of the gear on the market was lung to mouth gear, just like a cigarette.

Now days mouth to lung gear seem to be in the minority and the choice of small devices and atty,s is limited.

What I don't understand is how a wide open direct lung air flow and sub ohm coils with devices with 2, 3 & 4 18650's hitting huge wattage creating huge clouds in any way simulates a cigarette.

And the bloody size of atty's and devices these days. I think a 22mm device is big but now every thing coming out seem to be 24-30mm.

I love my 14500 17-18mm devices but they seem to be more and more difficult to get hold of.

I think if I started vaping now with the exception of the innokin endura I would struggle to satisfy what I am looking for in a vape, a nice tight mouth to lung air flow like a cigarette with a nice warm flavoursome vape in a nice compact form.

Now before you guys start listening of gear, I know that there is gear like that out there but I bet I could create a list 10 times as big for the gear I am talking about.

To me the whole seen is just becoming a little bit childish (no offence to anyone intended) with big clouds stupid wattages massive devices. And cloud comps

I met a couple of new vapers recently and both had been sold high wattage low ohm direct to lung devices with low nic liquid as starter kits. Both had confessed that they still smoke cigarettes as their devices didn't quite give them the same hit as a cigarette.

Now I bet if they had been sold something like the innokin endura with a higher nic liquid they wouldn't be going back to their cigarettes now and again.

I just think that the way the seen ( and the manufacturers and venders) are going is really damaging to vaping in general. I have lost count how many times I've seen someone driving with clouds and clouds of vapor pouring out the the car. How do they even see where they are going.

To me vaping is about that cigarette sensation ( but with a far better flavour) not blowing massive clouds.

If you want the world health to take vaping seriously make more cigarette sessions devices not fog machines. Or big tobacco will do and are doing just that.

I don't want to offend anyone with my views and if you blow clouds and it keeps you off the stinky's then brilliant but I hope you can see my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
I do see your point but the average consumer goes with the bigger is better mentality. I personally have a bit of both but am leaning towards higher watts and lower ohm builds lately. It's all about finding what you enjoy and making sure to keep plenty of supplies on hand to stay off the stinkies...

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Its not about "simulating a cigarette".
Its about quitting smoking.

Once you get past the psychological aspect its becomes more of a personal preference.

You smoked cigs. I smoked a pipe. Some smoked cigars.

A retail market embraces profit and sales.
They make the gear because its popular and it sells.
And thank god they do.
If my only option was a cig a like Id still be smoking.

stonesfl

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Sunrise Fl
My only thoughts on this are use what you like and enjoy the experience. I personally have never been able to build a coil worth anything diy liquid I never even attempted after looking at recipes and accessories. I got lost on the hardware somewhere around the sub ohm craze. I still use a vamo v4, coolfire 2 and a mvp 2.0 most people moved on from those along time ago but hey it still works for me I understand it and I enjoy it so I have no desire to try to learn the new devices and drive myself crazy.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I started vaping to get me off the cigarettes almost 3 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Believe it or not i think that the gear that was out back then was the reason I was able to transition from those horrible stinky,s to vaping so easily. Back then most of the gear on the market was lung to mouth gear, just like a cigarette.

Now days mouth to lung gear seem to be in the minority and the choice of small devices and atty,s is limited.

What I don't understand is how a wide open direct lung air flow and sub ohm coils with devices with 2, 3 & 4 18650's hitting huge wattage creating huge clouds in any way simulates a cigarette.

And the bloody size of atty's and devices these days. I think a 22mm device is big but now every thing coming out seem to be 24-30mm.

I love my 14500 17-18mm devices but they seem to be more and more difficult to get hold of.

I think if I started vaping now with the exception of the innokin endura I would struggle to satisfy what I am looking for in a vape, a nice tight mouth to lung air flow like a cigarette with a nice warm flavoursome vape in a nice compact form.

Now before you guys start listening of gear, I know that there is gear like that out there but I bet I could create a list 10 times as big for the gear I am talking about.

To me the whole seen is just becoming a little bit childish (no offence to anyone intended) with big clouds stupid wattages massive devices. And cloud comps

I met a couple of new vapers recently and both had been sold high wattage low ohm direct to lung devices with low nic liquid as starter kits. Both had confessed that they still smoke cigarettes as their devices didn't quite give them the same hit as a cigarette.

Now I bet if they had been sold something like the innokin endura with a higher nic liquid they wouldn't be going back to their cigarettes now and again.

I just think that the way the seen ( and the manufacturers and venders) are going is really damaging to vaping in general. I have lost count how many times I've seen someone driving with clouds and clouds of vapor pouring out the the car. How do they even see where they are going.

To me vaping is about that cigarette sensation ( but with a far better flavour) not blowing massive clouds.

If you want the world health to take vaping seriously make more cigarette sessions devices not fog machines. Or big tobacco will do and are doing just that.

I don't want to offend anyone with my views and if you blow clouds and it keeps you off the stinky's then brilliant but I hope you can see my point.

I see your point, but there's a bit more to it :)

I switched to vaping 4 1/2 years ago using eGo 650 batts and eGo-C atties. I struggled with battery life, atty dependability and maintenance, and low performance until I had upgraded a number of times. It took a couple of years before the technology was good enough so most people just had a relatively easy time finding gear that even worked.

These days most of the gear on the market works just fine. Yes, the higher power stuff is pushed by a lot of suppliers, but the low power gear is out there, you just have to do a little research to find it. A few years ago you had to do a lot of research just to be able to vape.

IMO the vape scene is much better now than then. It's much easier to break into and get started and so much more choice means pretty much everyone can find what works for them without having to spend a lot of time on the internet. It's not perfect, but I wouldn't want to go back to the way it was.

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
IMG_5815.JPG
I got into buying up mods and attys, because i started with the Blu disposables, and got the 'starter pack'--thinking that it would be a better deal

Hahahahaha!!!

And then google happened and now, three years later i only vape rebuildables. I love rbas because i can tailor the vape to the way I want to draw.

The rebuilding aspect, and fancy coil builds are in and of itself therapeutic and lots of fun lol!!Unboxing an atty, learning how all of the pieces fit together and work as a machine. It is like playing with TinkerToys as a kid. Except i used to eat my TinkerToys when my structures wouldn't stay together:w00t:

Haven't done diy yet. I'm not good with flavours.

Mite as well have fun with the gear. Regardless of big govt

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Can't you see how things are moving?
Consumerism means people having whatever is easier to have. Or whatever is more to get.
Example: Budweiser. Sickly beer. For suckers. For those who do not have a taste buds. Like water... Just a second. Like water? Drinkabe? Yes , for sure. Let's put it like this: best in drinkablity.
Example: Cereal. Should it be tasty or sweet? But of course sweet. More sugar = more sails! Let's go!\

Same with vaping. Big vape is alluring vapers to high wattage consumerism. I (personally) hate it. I hate big vape.
I do know consumers are dumb. But it's not their fault, it's their virtue. Virtue which is used by big vape.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Same with vaping. Bit vape is alluring vapers to high wattage consumerism. I (personally) hate it. I hate big vape.
I do know consumers are dumb. But it's not their fault, it's their virtue. Virtue which is used by big vape.

Some people get caught up in 'big' very easily AT. OTOH, big can be good sometimes :)

I'm vaping two setups alternately right now. An Aqua V2 using 31 gauge Kanthal at 14 watts and a Boreas with 24 gauge Kanthal at 45 watts. Very different vapes, both very satisfying, and I wouldn't want to give up either experience.

Neither is stupid. To each their own. Vape on :thumb:

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
There is as many vapes, as there are vapers. Trying to corral everyone into what you think is correct limits all the other vapers.

For instance. I smoked cigars MTL. Now I vape high wattage big bore RDA`s MTL. I blew clouds with cigars, I blow slightly lessor clouds with my vape. This is "MY" style. There are many personal preferences. Like foods, there are many tastes and pallets. Give everyone room to find their own place in the community of vaping. It is HUGE, much larger then most anyone imagines. New rigs and techniques are coming out almost every day. It is fluid, constantly changing for some, and redundantly simple for others.

BOL. :?)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
View attachment 623545 I got into buying up mods and attys, because i started with the Blu disposables, and got the 'starter pack'--thinking that it would be a better deal

Hahahahaha!!!

And then google happened and now, three years later i only vape rebuildables. I love rbas because i can tailor the vape to the way I want to draw.

The rebuilding aspect, and fancy coil builds are in and of itself therapeutic and lots of fun lol!!Unboxing an atty, learning how all of the pieces fit together and work as a machine. It is like playing with TinkerToys as a kid. Except i used to eat my TinkerToys when my structures wouldn't stay together:w00t:

Haven't done diy yet. I'm not good with flavours.

Mite as well have fun with the gear. Regardless of big govt
Absolutely. Rebuilding gives you COMPLETE CONTROL.

Resistance
Draw
Flavor
The whole mine yards.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I see these threads pop up every now and then. You know, where somebody just doesn't "understand" that many people may enjoy vaping differently than they do. In short, it's basically saying "if you don't vape like I do, you're doing it wrong, and for the wrong reasons".

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I see these threads pop up every now and then. You know, where somebody just doesn't "understand" that many people may enjoy vaping differently than they do. In short, it's basically saying "if you don't vape like I do, you're doing it wrong, and for the wrong reasons".
The only way to vape wrong is to not get a satisfying vape and the smoker goes back on the stinkies.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

Outstanding commentary Phil! My sentiments exactly. Here is my first "Kit" which still works 6 years later. Not a bad vape either!
KR808.jpg

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Free markets tend to gravitate wherever consumers (demand) leads them. Consumers tend to believe bigger is better and new means improved. It appears there are far more cloud chucker's than tootlepuffers driving market innovation. I find it odd that big tobacco's offerings are more inline with tootlepuffers (who detest big tobacco) while the hardcore innovative side of the industry has clearly bedded down with the cloud chucking sub-ohm crowd. I understand developing products that meet consumer demand/desire but find it odd the industry has all but turned its back on those who prefer MTL and compact gear. While I inhale DL and build sub-ohm my better half is a confirmed tootlepuffer who prefers dainty 14 - 17mm outfits. Finding "quality" gear for her is the greater challenge simply due to limited selection. Even though the market is geared towards my style of vaping I still use an old school Magma (V1) RDA, none of the "new" stuff I've bought produces better flavor, it's just....new.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've heard the tiny pod mods are selling well so there are people who want discrete setups and don't need clouds.

This forum tends to be dominated by the flavors and clouds people. The vape business favors them because they spend more money. If I weren't stock piling I wouldn't be spending more than $100 a year. If all the smokers switched to vaping and did it like me the market would barely exist.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Free markets tend to gravitate wherever consumers (demand) leads them. Consumers tend to believe bigger is better and new means improved. It appears there are far more cloud chucker's than tootlepuffers driving market innovation. I find it odd that big tobacco's offerings are more inline with tootlepuffers (who detest big tobacco) while the hardcore innovative side of the industry has clearly bedded down with the cloud chucking sub-ohm crowd.

BT's cigalikes are an easier transition for a first time vaper from cigarettes as the form factor is familiar, as is the "draw to turn on" rather than adjusting to pressing a button to "smoke". They are also easy to sell through retail outlets where no customer education will be provided and require no real customer support. It's how I and probably many others here first discovered "vaping".

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I see your point. As much as everyone has their style and what works for one person may not work for another the big clouds and high wattage low ohm set ups are killing us. Innovation is great, but I think it came at the wrong time. Imo those innovations brought vapers to the forefront. Now with shops not being able to educate is making things more dangerous. The media does not help us by showing the mods blowing up. The fda shutting down the high wattage low ohm vaping is just bringing things full circle. I know those cigalikes did not work for me and if I had to go back I might as well smoke. But I think if the fda let shops educate. Maybe even have shop owners and maybe workers take a class to be able to sell the products so even they know safety might help. I have noticed that very very high watt mods are less now. Or at least what I have seen. 200 watt mods don't seem as prominent. I see the art in the coils and the fun of the competitions,though that is not for me. Who knows what will happen. I can not afford to "stock" up, so I hope what I have will last a good long time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Phil P

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
Free markets tend to gravitate wherever consumers (demand) leads them. Consumers tend to believe bigger is better and new means improved. It appears there are far more cloud chucker's than tootlepuffers driving market innovation. I find it odd that big tobacco's offerings are more inline with tootlepuffers (who detest big tobacco) while the hardcore innovative side of the industry has clearly bedded down with the cloud chucking sub-ohm crowd. I understand developing products that meet consumer demand/desire but find it odd the industry has all but turned its back on those who prefer MTL and compact gear. While I inhale DL and build sub-ohm my better half is a confirmed tootlepuffer who prefers dainty 14 - 17mm outfits. Finding "quality" gear for her is the greater challenge simply due to limited selection. Even though the market is geared towards my style of vaping I still use an old school Magma (V1) RDA, none of the "new" stuff I've bought produces better flavor, it's just....new.

This is my point that consumers are not really given much of a choice. These days. If you look at all the starter kits coming out lately the majority of them seem to be geared towards direct lung. Now compare that to the amount of products that are produced for mouth too lung compact and smaller devices.
My point was proven the other night when I was out with a friend who had been sold a big box mod with a huge sub Ohm tank. She only had a small clutch handbag and didn't want to take out a big heavy mod with some huge tank on it so what did she do, went and bought a packet of cigarettes because they are much lighter and didn't take up as much room. Now maybe if the vendor she had purchased the vape gear from had sold her something more suitable than she would have had no need to resort to a packet of cigarettes. I ended up lending her One of my 14500 mods with a mini fogger on top and she loved it.

I am not saying that people that do not vape like I do are wrong, what I am saying is that the industry is leading us down the wrong path. If you want the big box mod with a big tank then by all means fill your boots. But the manufacturers and the vendors that are selling us these products seem to have forgotten about the reason why people start vaping, and that is because they like cigarettes but want to find a healthier option to replace it. And forgive me if I'm wrong the last time I looked at a cigarette it didn't have an air flow like a short length of garden hose and didn't weigh half a kilo.

I'm also not saying that we should go down the cigalike or the ce4-5 ego route. It would just be nice to have more choice or any choice at all of smaller more reasonably priced compact rta's and mods
I love my mini fogger and my big Buddha mini and my mini kayfun v2.1 and just recently my Origen tiny tank. I also like my Kayfun mini v3 but again is a millimetre to big for my 14500 mods, athough it does look nice on my Mrs Ego-one mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread