Where to order snus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdad

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I've tried a couple of snus that I found locally and want to order a better variety. Being in the US, Northerner seems like the logical place, but their shipping charges are crazy! I found a few online shops in Sweden and, believe it or not, the shipping charges are less. Is there a catch here? Are there import taxes that one must pay and, if so, how do you do that? Any recommendations on where to order from and what else to try?

All I know about what I like is:
1. I want portions and prefer white minis, regular portions are too big and drip for me.
2. I like General Mini Mint white portions and will order some but want to try a variety of other stuff.

Thanks!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
sdad, hi there! Go into the What's under your lip thread to get suggestions on variety. I just happened to be passing by and saw you had posted here. I don't think most come out here. As far as Sweden, I've ordered from a few places, lately Snucentral, I usually price everything out and go with the best deal. They seem pretty fast. I'll let someone else comment on taxes since I live in Pa and we have no smokeless tax. I think you'll find a lack of concern.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Northerners warehouse is in the US so you will be charged whatever your state taxes are on smokeless tobacco. You don't pay the state taxes when ordering directly from Sweden as you are expected to pay that on your own........

I have been ordering from Snuscentral as they have the best prices at the moment.

Buy Snus at SnusCentral.com. It's the Best Place to Get Snus !

They have a good selection of minis with everything Northerner carries plus a few.

Shipping is expensive because of the PACT act. It is illegal so ship smokeless tobacco by USPS so all snus is shipped by UPS. It also requires a signature and a proof of age when delivered, though I have never been ask for that but then I look way older then 18. The PACT act has made it harder and more expensive to get snus in the USA.

sdad

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Hey, thanks for the info, guys! So how do you pay for the import tax on your own? What's shipping time from Sweden to the US?

I heard about the PACT act...sounds pretty dumb. The odd thing is UPS from Sweden is cheaper than UPS from Northerner to me. Maybe Northerner just adds the state taxes in with the shipping/handling, etc.?

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Hey, thanks for the info, guys! So how do you pay for the import tax on your own? What's shipping time from Sweden to the US?

I heard about the PACT act...sounds pretty dumb. The odd thing is UPS from Sweden is cheaper than UPS from Northerner to me. Maybe Northerner just adds the state taxes in with the shipping/handling, etc.?

Yes, Northerner adds the tax to the total price but shipping may well be cheaper from Sweden. The orders from Snuscentral arrive very quickly. Less then a week here in the Midwest. Not sure what it would be in Hi.

As for paying the taxes...... well..... umm........ there is likely some form somewhere on your taxes...... or something...... I keep meaning to check into that........ really........I do.............

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
Hi guys! I have received one bill in the mail from UPS for customs fees (out of several orders), but that isn't taxes. In NY, you are supposed to claim ALL internet purchases on your income tax return. I dont know how you would do it if you live in a state without annual income tax return forms.

Coffee
Lab 01

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The best thing to do is figure out what you want to order and fill your basket at each site. You may find your order is limited at one site or the other (items not available or out of stock). You can run the orders right up to processing and get all the incidental charges so you have a bottom line number. Then you can decide which way to go.

I live within less than an hour of Northern's warehouse and my last two or three orders all went to Sweden. The product was cheaper and they had items that weren't available at Northern. You need to remember that in Sweden, they are supplying their own serious market as well as other global markets, Northern is supplying a limited US market.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    All good advice. I might add that I have noticed that northerner/getsnus is many times over a dollar more a can on some brands and there are a few brands you can get from Sweden but not sold at northerner. I have bought from all three along with an order from buysnus and definitely prefer snuscentral.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Living in Wisconsin where the tobacco tax is 100%. I order from Snuscentral. They are a lot cheaper than Northerner, and I can take care of the taxes myself instead of having them tacked on to my order.

I didn't know you live in Wisconsin. The taxes sure do suck here. Besides that Northerner/Getsnus no longer ships to WI. I got into it with the Northerner guy over at snuson as to why, and he claims when they where doing the paper work to comply with the PACT act someone from the WI gov'ment told him he couldn't ship smokeless to WI. Personally I think it's BS. I think some busy body lawyer gave them the run around as I've never heard of such a law and have been following the local tobacco laws for the last few years. But I could be wrong......

Just where are ya hanging out in this fine state

sdad

Verified Member
    Jun 19, 2011
    Honolulu, HI
    I went to getsnus.com and put a mock order together. For a newb, their site is actually fairly user friendly and about the only thing it lacks is user reviews (there are ratings but I didn't see where you could read reviews). There are short flavor descriptions for all the products which is really handy for someone like myself.

Anyway, the order included about $67 worth of snus. Shipping was $30 which is bad enough but the tobacco tax was $24! Ouch! Added about $40 more snus and the tobacco tax only went up a couple of dollars and shipping was about the same. I don't get how that works. If anyone knows, I'm really curious.

Taxes...ugh! Am looking into ordering from somewhere else...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread