Where were you 50 years ago this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It was a Sunday. July 20, 1969, I was at home watching it on TV. I had just graduated from high school a month or so before.

I remember as a kid watching Sputnik come through the sky over my back yard. Lots of people in the neighborhood were outside waiting for it to pass over in the sky. I was 6 then and thought it was cool, but didn't quite why it was a big deal. It was just a light in the sky that resembled a plane coming over at night.

I've always imagined a Moon base where launches could take place outside the intense gravity of Earth. We really do need to develop technology that allows cheap flights to the Moon. Maybe an anti-gravity system that solves the problem of huge amounts of fuel necessary to leave the Earth before employing another type of drive system for secondary propulsion.

Maybe that will happen eventually.
'Antigravity' Propulsion System Proposed

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I want to say that I was sitting in front of the b&w but memories are tricky and can't be trusted. Probably something I just saw on a media venue and claimed it for myself. Most likely I was like Enaud and playing outside, avoiding Mom's call to come in for a bath.

No Schwin's around my house at the time and our popular pastime after dark was to toss COPYRIGHTDMCA in the air and see if we can get the bats to fly low and dare them to get stuck in our hair.

A group of 12yr olds bonding over a dumb pastime on a hot summer night in 69. An Apollo landing was trivial, compared.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Oh I just wanted to add this little, maybe useless, factoid to this thread. The Atari 2600 game console had more computing power than the whole roomful of mainframes that NASA used for that mission.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    Oh I just wanted to add this little, maybe useless, factoid to this thread. The Atari 2600 game console had more computing power than the whole roomful of mainframes that NASA used for that mission.
    Dont need no sticking computers to get the moon, brother. Its not rocket science!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Yep!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Love it, clever.

I was just a trainee gaffer at the time, I was just kinda floating around goofing off, drinking coffee, chatting up an intern and making jokes with the prop guys.
    Stanley K got sick of me disrupting everyone and gave me the job of holding the camera as Neil's stand in climbed down the ladder.
    So yeah, pretty memorable occasion for me, the moon landing.
    Time really does slip away quite quickly.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    In my mom's ovary sack or whatever. I don't remember it.

For me it was the Challenger. Sigh. That was the big one.

Anna

I remember several events vividly and can, to this day, picture everything around me - the breaking news of the Cuban missile crisis every TV in school was tuned in, Kennedy's assassination, the moon landing and the Challenger. Odd, each vivid event involved President Kennedy in one way or another even if tangentially, only the Challenger was not narrated to me by Uncle Walter.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    For me it was the Challenger. Sigh. That was the big one.
    Yes, another example of the kind of event that that causes everyone to remember where they were at that time, albeit a much less happy one.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I was 6yo and wondering what the big deal was.
    Yes! I was 5, I didnt get the significance of a moon landing. I think I was more surprised that we hadnt actually been there yet. I had seen bits of Star Trek, Lost in Space and Flash Gordon etc, I assumed it had well and truly been done and dusted.
    I think it became more significant to me as I got older, and in 2019 with the 50th anniversary along with all the conspiracy people running around on teh webz Ive probably taken more interest in it than at any other time. I think its a pretty amazing feat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread