Which companies are likely to survive post september 09 ptma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
So, when will the ejuice begin to start being taken off the market?
There have been quite a few online stores that have closed shop recently as a direct result of Deeming. Virgin Vapor will stop selling juices that are not included in their PMTA's in the next day or two.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It could be that some of the US juice companies will get the preliminary approval and hopefully the will have an established online store because may be there won't be many shops to sell to. And then, what gear will be available. The shops need both.

So far as I can tell American vapers are being sheep. What's going on in MA. Are most of those vapers still vaping? Are there any locations NYC selling ecig products? NY is well known for black markets. Is there one for vape stuff. May be it's the same people who sell the smuggled cigarettes.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Companies are already planning to shut down or have shut down.
As the year progresses, more will follow and the major exodus will happen as the FDA grace period expires in Sept 2021.
Enforcement is another wholly unpredictable concern.
I would think on-line companies would be targeted first with the B&M shops that survive being subject to increased local and federal restrictions. (Tax stamps and certified, consolidated distributors products only)

Ordering and importing from overseas for personal use may be "unenforced", but large shipments for business purposes will certainly draw attention.

If the CBD market becomes subject to regulation, many of the loopholes that cover hardware will close.

Cheers
I

I accidentally disagreed with you twice but didn't mean to, all fixed!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Likely?

Companies owned by Big Tobacco pushing Heat-Not-Burn devices.

Not necessarily... several products have PMTA's on them.. Vaporesso did 2 pods, I two battery (regular) mod and 1 internal battery mod (along with tanks and coils).

Other companies have filed PMTA's also, and several juice companies. (Tobacco and menthol flavors anyway)

So there will be products after Sept. 9 that will be able to be sold while the FDA deliberates that aren't HNB..

Then we will see what the FDA approves...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Not necessarily... several products have PMTA's on them.. Vaporesso did 2 pods, I two battery (regular) mod and 1 internal battery mod (along with tanks and coils).

Other companies have filed PMTA's also, and several juice companies. (Tobacco and menthol flavors anyway)

So there will be products after Sept. 9 that will be able to be sold while the FDA deliberates that aren't HNB..

Then we will see what the FDA approves...

I took the question to mean what is most likely to be approved out of all the accepted applications.

The way I understand it, IQOS devices are already approved and therefore HNB is the most likely to be approved because it already has been. And if it's a HNB product from big tobacco, then IMHO, it's most likely a shoe in.

JMHO.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I took the question to mean what is most likely to be approved out of all the accepted applications.

The way I understand it, IQOS devices are already approved and therefore HNB is the most likely to be approved because it already has been. And if it's a HNB product from big tobacco, then IMHO, it's most likely a shoe in.

JMHO.

We don't know that they won't approve a few items initially that are vapes... they're just after the taxes.

But he's specifically asking about Sept. 10... what happens this year, is what I'm seeing him ask...

What will make it through the approval process remains to be seen..

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I have more VV eGos and cigalikes on the way.

Well, I'd hope that we're all wise enough to get whatever it is while we can.

It doesn't matter what we vape, just that we vape.

We are, and may be for a bit of time still, the lucky "few". :vapor:

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    So - I'm usually "kinda" informed on this stuff...
    But can someone point me to the actual legislation that would tax Nicotine?
    I need to track that...
    (and maybe run the cost differential between the taxed price and a dedicated little freezer).

I think it might be a state by state issue, T2.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I need to track that...
    (and maybe run the cost differential between the taxed price and a dedicated little freezer).

It's a federal tax.

This was the initial draft.

https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/HR 4742 AS INTRODUCED.pdf

‘‘(h) NICOTINE.—On taxable nicotine, manufactured in or imported into the United States, there shall be imposed a tax equal to the dollar amount specified in section 5701(b)(1) (or, if greater, $50.33) per 1,810 milligrams of nicotine (and a proportionate tax at the like rate on any fractional part thereof).’’.
    That comes out to $2,780 tax per liter of 100mg/ml nic base

HR 4742 was clumped into another bill in I think February 2020, which was not passed by the house. EDIT: May bad, yes, it did pass the house. Thanks @Territoo.

Trump admin said it would veto it if it ever did get passed by congress, but that means very little because not only is talk cheap but they will just stick it into another bill which the Trump admin won't likely veto.

Clown world tactics.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I need to track that...

It's HB 32 which is sitting on Senate Leader Mitch McConnell's desk along with hundreds of other bills. If it stays there until January, it's DOA. Congress would have to start over. If the Senate should pass it, then Trump still has to sign it. He has indicated he would veto it, but YNK. The states are whole nuther story. They can do what they want irregardless of the Feds.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It's HB 32 which is sitting on Senate Leader Mitch McConnell's desk along with hundreds of other bills. If it stays there until January, it's DOA. Congress would have to start over. If the Senate should pass it, then Trump still has to sign it. He has indicated he would veto it, but YNK. The states are whole nuther story. They can do what they want irregardless of the Feds.

Thank you. That's right, it did pass the house. How could I forget!

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2020
    AZ
    The DMV outsources licensing in many states... if there were independent labs responsible for certifying consumer safety, in a more expedient and cost approachable way, at least smaller companies could have a chance.

This is a wealthy industry. If some of that wealth were applied to taking on the overwhelmed, bloated and underfunded FDA with a viable solution, wonder if that could be a compromise? Just thinking solutions, after being ...... for so long about this. Also - I’m voting libertarian this year I think :-/

AD

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's HB 32 which is sitting on Senate Leader Mitch McConnell's desk along with hundreds of other bills. If it stays there until January, it's DOA. Congress would have to start over. ...

Some Bills merely go into Limbo when the Legislative Session Ends. But have a way of Rising from the Ashes later.

Take Waxman's HR 1108 from 2007. Does the bill's name sound familiar?

H.R.1108 - 110th Congress (2007-2008): Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act

BTW - A little FSPTCA trivia.

Did you ever wonder where the Feb. 2007 Predicate Date comes from that the FDA say's they Can't Change?

Reactions: stols001

Tjgoa

Feb 25, 2017
    I was smoking for ten years, then went vaping for a year, then quite vaping, to only start up a few years later smoking again for the last few months. My goal now is to switch to nicotine salts for a time being, then downgrading nic levels with "regular" ejuice. I'm happy to have the 50 bottles I have last and then I'll quite this again too. I'd be even happier if I quite before they run out. Time will see. My immediate concern is that nicotine salts will go away before I have transitioned to lower levels of nicotine vaping. I only have 1 30ml bottle coming my way, as I've only learned about the salts and want to test to see if it will work before splurging. In any case, I'll make do... I'll have to, lol. On another note, I made myself quite a binch of custom juices with 100 percent VG, hopefully those will turn out decent and the last resort will be to just make my own.

I'm hesitant to buy pure nicotine as that can be dangerous. i much prefer zero nictone flavorless and go from there.

On a side note, any recommendations for fruity or floral nictone salts, I'm all ears. Cheers

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread