Which do you prefer? Dual or Single Coil on a rebuildable dripping atomizer

Do you prefer dual coil or single coil on rebuildable drippers?

• Single Coil

• Dual Coil

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctaylor4874

Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Houston, TX
Like the title says, do you prefer dual or single coil on a rebuildable dripping atomizer and why? I have an Igo-L dual coiled at .3 ohms. It drains my 18650 battery on the natural and I'm having trouble deciding if there is a difference in vapor production/flavor between dual and single coils.
Let me know what you think

aggo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I think I prefer single-coils. Got some top caps as well from Cap It All Vapes. If enough people requested single hole IGO-L/W size caps hopefully they'd reconsider.

I watched some YouTube video (don't have the link handy) where some guy was claiming that it's "safer" to use dual-coils rather than single-coil below something like 1.3 ohms. Not sure why. Can anybody weigh in on this?

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I've got one setup with duals for nice big clouds, but it's my "at home" vape since it's always in 650 mode. I have found that nice simple single coils when set up properly with cotton on an 18350 mech are plenty good for "on the go" when you're not just sitting around fogging your living room, and usually give you better flavor since you don't need nearly as much air.

Juiceinator

Apr 11, 2013
New England
I hated my dripper.. until an hour ago. This is just the fifth wick ive thrown in it. I'm not a complete spaz nor am i complete novice. I love my AGAT+ So i picked up an igo w. Ran single and dual coil, silica, mesh, cotton with micro coils. I rethreaded the cotton through and am running dual micro coils at 1.1ohm. It is my new love. Just wish there was a bit more flavor out of it there's gotta be a way to increase flavor. Great th and vapor but not enough flavor. With an 18650 i get plenty of time off it. I wouldn't bother with a 18350 though that will last about 2hours tops

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
I chase clouds on one coil. My Igo-W always seems to have one coil that lights up faster than the other and it annoys me so I skip it. People can do silly diamond coil stuff all they want, I'll take a single with 24 Ga 1/8" mini w/ XC-116 and blow clouds just as big as their .4 with my .6 but Ill have a cooler vape with better flavor. Even since I discovered that golden ratio I haven't had any interest in duals, I'll let people have fun with their 8 coil 32 Ga dragon coils telling themselves that this is the one...until next week when its the double decker dragon. Now I will say if I wanted to drop to .25 and tear my throat up I would use 2 of the 1/8" minis, but I can't handle that build for more than 10 minutes before I want to tear it off and strip it back down to a single.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I am mostly an rba tank kind of guy. I prefer dual coil on dual coil atomizers and single coils on single coil atomizers. I build for the vape satisfaction and optimizing the rba being built. On the Aqua I use a .3 ohm dual twisted 28 Kanthal build, using 2 stands of tightly twisted wire on each coil, so basically it a dual quad. Provides a nice warm thick satisfying vape, I love it. On my Flash-e-Vapor V2's I use a single coil design. But with 3 strands of twisted ribbon Kanthal, twisted together, so technically it is a tri coil, both are around .75 ohms, give a fantastic flavorful satisfying vape, I love it!. The flashi is really rba/rda, since it's a dripper with a tank, but can be used in either form, I prefer tanks. Tis my favorite rba so far. Also have the full size Russian, using a vertical mounted dual series coil using the triple twisted ribbon, It comes in at 1.3 ohm but driving it at 20 watts, another great flavorful vape. i love it!! The only rba that I use single wire single coil in is the Taifun GS, just to small to use anything else, it also give a damn fine vape, and is cute to boot. lol

I find that the juiciness of juice doesn't get fully developed till one hits 15 watts, it is just tastier. Got to 20 watts, even better, if you have the battery that can handle the load and the atomizer that can wick and breathe well enough to handle the watts, once you get pas 30 watts, the Vape become very hard to describe.

The reason some feel that those who vape at sub ohms, high watts are safer, it that we who choose to are much more focused on high amp batteries, battery safety and maintenance, build maintenance and checking, so that if a dead short does happen we have a much better chance of alleviating disaster because our batteries have a high continuous amp limit and a much higher burst amp limit than most who vape standard ohm builds. When using a mechanical, it don't matter what ohms you start at when one gets a dead short. but if you are using a 30, 35 or 50 amp continuous battery, you have more time to disconnect before current overrun can happen.

Saying things like, I don't see any reason to go dual coil or sub ohms, is the same logic as saying, my cig-a-like/ego bats provide just as good a vape as a SVD, Provari, Zmax.... i don't see a reason to go there. Well if you are satisfied with what your are vaping at, then don't bother, but if you find yourself with that something is missing feeling, then it is a option to explore. But trying to explain the quality and vape satisfaction i get from my mods, builds and juice i make, just can't be adequately conveyed. I chase total vape satisfaction in all my builds, rba's, and mods. Clouds have been know to form and fog does set in, but that is not my focus, just a by product of searching for total vape satisfaction. My only problem is that once i am satisfied, i then want more. lmao

Vape long and Prosper.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I am mostly an rba tank kind of guy. I prefer dual coil on dual coil atomizers and single coils on single coil atomizers. I build for the vape satisfaction and optimizing the rba being built. On the Aqua I use a .3 ohm dual twisted 28 Kanthal build, using 2 stands of tightly twisted wire on each coil, so basically it a dual quad. Provides a nice warm thick satisfying vape, I love it. On my Flash-e-Vapor V2's I use a single coil design. But with 3 strands of twisted ribbon Kanthal, twisted together, so technically it is a tri coil,

Not trying to pick a fight, but a twisted-wire coil is NOT a "dual coil" or "tri coil" etc. It's just a SINGLE coil, that happens to be made of twisted wire. Misnomers and misinformation just rub me the wrong way, especially when it could be confusing to someone new to RBA's, and possibly dangerous when it comes to battery safety in the hands of the ill-informed.

Carry on.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I have mostly moved back to single microcoils at 1.1-1.3 with xc-116 on my drippers. I run 650s but since I'm at home chain vaping all day, and don't like to sub-ohm, I can kill a battery with a dual coil in about 4 hours. For this reason I also prefer drippers with smaller barrels (that are made for single coils) because the flavor gets more intense than when it's in a big cap with dual air holes. I still get plenty of vapor with the small ones. All that said, I think the eBaron Dripper Pro is going to be my next (and hopefully last for a while) dripper purchase if I can talk myself into spending that much. :)

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Not trying to pick a fight, but a twisted-wire coil is NOT a "dual coil" or "tri coil" etc. It's just a SINGLE coil, that happens to be made of twisted wire. Misnomers and misinformation just rub me the wrong way, especially when it could be confusing to someone new to RBA's, and possibly dangerous when it comes to battery safety in the hands of the ill-informed.

Carry on.

well yes and no. When doing the numbers of ohm, watts and amps drawn, it doesn't matter whether those 2 or three wires are twisted together or mounted separately. take 2 wires wrapping separate coils measuring 1 ohm each, and mounting them in a dual coil set up, you will get a reading now of .5 ohms. Take the same 2 wires twist them tightly together making one coil, what do you get, a single coil make of 2 stands, each individually measuring 1 ohm each now measure .5 ohms, just like as if they were mounted individually in parallel. Both demanding the same amps from the battery, both delivering the same total amount of watts. Your battery doesn't care whether they are mounted separately or twisted together, all it does is supply the demand that the ohms require.

So far as battery safety, reading ohms and inherently increase danger, both are equal in that respect, both deserve the same consideration, and can have no other relevance when you apply ohm's law. mathematically, they are exactly the same. Two wires, one end of each going to the positive post, the other two ends of each going to the negative post. So yeah, don't believe I gave any misinformation or misnomers or added to any confusion.

If you can mathematically disprove what I am saying, then you would be demonstrating that ohm's law is not valid, and would love to see the proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread