Which is better in terms of health safety and feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Does IQOS feel more like cigarettes then Juuls?
IMO, it does. It tastes almost as nasty as a real cigarette.

The action is more like smoking too; once you start one, you're committed to it, and you can't have another until the device recharges. With a Juul or any other vape, you can have a puff or two whenever you want with no commitment.

Both IQOS and Juul are stupid expensive compared to vaping refillable device. Vaping a rebuildable device an mixing your own juice is so cheap, it might as well be free. The ingredients for the juice I vape cost about $60 per year.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I am a Juul owner but know a little about IQOS.Does IQOS feel more like cigarettes then Juuls?
How is the pricing of iqos compare to Juul?
Idk. But bear in mind that this is a vaping forum, so results of your poll will be skewed to vapourisors

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Also IQOS isn't available in all countries. It's not on the US market so no feedback from a good number of members here unless they bought and tried it while traveling somewhere it is available. But there are lots of folks who do have access so I'm sure there will be more feedback.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Here's an extract of a post I made a while. I'm not interested. Forget that noise. Note that I wrote this in August of 2017. At that time I was still using RTAs so the cost is from the perspective of an RTA user.

And honestly, all of the below excluded, if I really wanted a ticket on that IQOS train i'd buy a 'herbal vaporizer' for $100-200 and just put bag or pipe tobacco in it. It would be cheaper and a better experience.

• All prices in CAD as i'm in Canada.
  • I used to smoke 1.5 packs a day, or 5.24 cartons a month. I used 4 cartons a month for the below.
  • I currently vape 60ml a week, 240ml a month.
  • I messed up and added $30 to the base price of regular cigarettes. Not redoing everything for that, just substract $30 for tobacco cigs.
  • This is a quick and dirty. I didn't include the prices of lighters, replacement coils, shipping, electricity to charge batteries. This varies person to person and frankly has no impact on the point i'm making.

Prices:
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 4.38.02 PM.png

Cumulative cost over 2 years:
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 4.39.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 4.42.03 PM.png

No thanks. I'll save the $4,500 a year.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's not on the US market so no feedback from a good number of members here unless they bought and tried it while traveling somewhere it is available.
Yep, I picked one up at the duty-free shop on my way back from FRA back in September out of curiosity.

I think they have a lot of potential for those for whom vaping doesn't work. I have one every once in a while when I'm in the mood, 'cause they definitely produce a different "head" than vaping straight nicotine (or even WTA). I think I still have one left from the first pack of 20 (and I bought a whole carton of 10 packs).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve never smoked an iQos but iirc there are worries that it is kind of partway between vaping and an ecig, safety wise due to the nasty stuff in the tobacco that lends it flavor.

Also it’s hard to know exactly what is in an iQos. The thing seems to be basically a cartomizer that heats from the outside rather than the inside, and uses heavily treated tobacco instead of cotton as the liquid carrier. What is not well known is just what that liquid is. All we know is the FDA, who would have to be told that information, took one look at it and said “hell no, you can’t sell that here” so it became available in places like Japan where there’s no FDA.

The tobacco industry is notoriously amoral. I don’t think they’d bat an eye at putting something really dangerous in the things if they could get away with it (by keeping it secret) and if it would make them money.

The JUUL isn’t all roses and sunshine either. It seems to be designed to be as addictive as they could make it. It’s still probably less dangerous though.

Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
What is not well known is just what that liquid is. All we know is the FDA, who would have to be told that information, took one look at it and said “hell no, you can’t sell that here” so it became available in places like Japan where there’s no FDA.
Well, if the FDA is against it, then it must be bad. :rolleyes:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well, if the FDA is against it, then it must be bad. :rolleyes:
I would go with “if the FDA is against it and they’re the only people besides the makers who knows what’s in the things the chances they are bad are about the same as the chances the FDA is trying to do its job the way it is supposed to”. You get to decide what you think those chances are.

As for my opinion, My dad worked for the USDA as a research scientist in the 70’s and he was a pretty ethical guy. He was a Methodist minister for a while. (Yes. Scientist and true believer. It’s much more common than some groups claim) I choose to believe other agencies with a science focus are populated at least partially with people like him. I’ve also seen the FDA head be well and truly ...... at big tobacco and openly threaten them (see the recent FDA announcement).

Do I KNOW the FDA is doing the right thing in this case and keeping them out because they’re dangerous? No. I don’t have any information. But I feel free to hope. We’ll eventually see if that hope is in vain.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I’ve never smoked an iQos but iirc there are worries that it is kind of partway between vaping and an ecig, safety wise due to the nasty stuff in the tobacco that lends it flavor.
That's probably true; it's not quite as "clean" as a vape. But if we accept that vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking, my guesstimate based on some actual experience with the product is that IQOS is at least 80% less harmful, and that's still a pretty big win.

Also it’s hard to know exactly what is in an iQos. The thing seems to be basically a cartomizer that heats from the outside rather than the inside, and uses heavily treated tobacco instead of cotton as the liquid carrier.
It heats from the inside using a "blade". There is no liquid involved. There is pressed tobacco in the "heets". There's probably a bit of PG and/or VG used in the pressing process.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
II am really interested to hear that they make you stink like real cigarettes that would be a big no for me
There is some tobacco smell, but it is not quite like smoke, and it is at least an order of magnitude less than an actual cigarette.

• Informative

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm not even looking at anything besides rebuildable atomizers, mods that use 18650, and juice I can DIY.

IMO, the rest is all bells and whistles that come with a price for cartridge replacement. It's still interesting to see what the market is pushing, though.

I like that fact that I can stockpile DIY supplies and the NIC base can be frozen for a lifetime for most of us. There will likely be lots of good hardware and usable mods left after I'm gone!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's probably true; it's not quite as "clean" as a vape. But if we accept that vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking, my guesstimate based on some actual experience with the product is that IQOS is at least 80% less harmful, and that's still a pretty big win.
True.
It heats from the inside using a "blade". There is no liquid involved. There is pressed tobacco in the "heets". There's probably a bit of PG and/or VG used in the pressing process.
My understanding is that what they do is make what is called “sheet tobacco” which is basically a paper made out of tobacco which is sprayed with various chemicals and dried. By liquid I was referring to those sprays. If they’re getting a mist from heating but not burning, they’re boiling something. There certainly is a lot less liquid though. Possibly they’re using waxes. didn’t know about the blade but though. That’s interesting.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
IMO, it does. It tastes almost as nasty as a real cigarette.

The action is more like smoking too; once you start one, you're committed to it, and you can't have another until the device recharges. With a Juul or any other vape, you can have a puff or two whenever you want with no commitment.

Both IQOS and Juul are stupid expensive compared to vaping refillable device. Vaping a rebuildable device an mixing your own juice is so cheap, it might as well be free. The ingredients for the juice I vape cost about $60 per year.

:D The more things change... I remember discussions about Ploom here from ca 2009. I almost got one when they were finally introduced with great fanfare. This thread might amuse you:
The Ploom is Here.

Ten years later and we still haven't been able to figure out what it is that we (some/most of us?) are missing.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Personally, i think that this particular part of the industry has somehow managed to overlook a fundamental part of emulating tobacco use. And that would the financial cost.

There's not many members here who haven't, at one time or another, mentioned how much money they save by vaping.
Certainly, vaping has the potential to save one big bucks over smoking. But the OP specifically asked about IQOS vs. Juul, and both of these have ongoing costs that comparable to smoking, so I would assume that saving money isn't the primary motivating factor for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread