RDA Which of these clones for flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I'm currently vaping on a V3 Flask with a Plume Veil - both clones. The flavor is nice, but I'm wondering if I should try a different clone rda. I've looked at a few different ones:

-Veritas
-Aromamizer
-Derringer
-Freakshow
-Freakshow Mini
-Aeolus

Also open to other suggestions, but those are the ones I have considered. I'll probably pick up a Derringer + one of the others. I am looking for something different, relative to the typical side airflow rda's.

Also, what's the general consensus on flavor when looking at top vs. bottom airflow?

Thanks everyone!

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I have tried both the Derringer and the Freakshow Mini and I still find myself returning to the Magma. The flavor on the Magma is impeccable.

That is actually the first one that I considered. After owning a Zenith V2 clone, I realized how much I dislike atomizers with a ton of threaded parts (they tend to make a mess, juice seeps everywhere, etc.). I'll certainly consider the Magma though.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
That is actually the first one that I considered. After owning a Zenith V2 clone, I realized how much I dislike atomizers with a ton of threaded parts (they tend to make a mess, juice seeps everywhere, etc.). I'll certainly consider the Magma though.

Yeah, granted, the Magma should mainly be used at home. I've just gotten really good at keeping it vertical. I would love a new RDA, just can't find anything that compares in flavor.

I've been eyeing this new RDA called the 'Royal Hunter' pretty much every day now. It looks like it's easy to build, holds a lot of juice, and might have good flavor.

Ziala

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Upstate, NY, USA
I have tried both the Derringer and the Freakshow Mini and I still find myself returning to the Magma. The flavor on the Magma is impeccable.

Same here, and being a person who prefers single coil and does mouth to lung, my choices are quite limited. I have a veritas and a vertex, but always go back to my magma, flavor is amazing. While it does have its leaking issue's, I only drip at home so a tissue nearby is not a big deal for me. If you plan to go out and about a lot with your RDA though, the veritas would be a great option.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Yeah, granted, the Magma should mainly be used at home. I've just gotten really good at keeping it vertical. I would love a new RDA, just can't find anything that compares in flavor.

I've been eyeing this new RDA called the 'Royal Hunter' pretty much every day now. It looks like it's easy to build, holds a lot of juice, and might have good flavor.

Exactly the issue I have with it. I may end up going with the Magma...it seems well regarded. A buddy of mine owns the Royal Hunter. Not sure if the drip tip is proprietary or not, but if it is, then its a no-go for me personally. To each his own, of course.

Same here, and being a person who prefers single coil and does mouth to lung, my choices are quite limited. I have a veritas and a vertex, but always go back to my magma, flavor is amazing. While it does have its leaking issue's, I only drip at home so a tissue nearby is not a big deal for me. If you plan to go out and about a lot with your RDA though, the veritas would be a great option.

It looks like most people prefer the Magma. I'm in the same boat as you. I tried a dual coil build on the plume veil with 30g NI200...no bueno.

Marquis is a great RDA, not sure if there is a clone.

There are a few, not a big fan myself. I certainly appreciate the input though!

Reactions: Ziala

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
The Magma was the first RDA I picked up and I loved it... until I got a Derringer. I haven't touched my Magma in weeks and don't see me using it again. I don't think the flavor of the Magma comes anywhere close to the flavor of the Derringer. Also, I am using a nickel build in one of my Derringers and it works great. Only using a single coil on that one at .12 ohm but it is a fantastic and flavorful vape.

The Freakshow (full size) is overrated IMO. Tried multiple builds on it and the flavor was just okay at best. Have never tried the Mini but the reduced chamber might make a difference.

I want an Aeolus myself but I'm thinking about waiting for the new version to come out.

chrisbourg

Verified Member
Apr 5, 2015
louisiana
I know you are looking for a clone but none of my clones can compare to authentics. If u don't want to spend slot of money on an rda then look into buying a royal hunter by council of vapor. I found mine for $40 and it's the cleanest tasting and one of the hardest hitting rdas in my collection. It is my favorite at the moment. It has excellent adjustable airflow, 4 post desing, and a cuff cap with spit back guard and also an adapter for any 510 drip tip. I highly recommend the royal hunter For flavor and cloud chasers.

Uncle00Jesse

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2014
NY
I see a lot of people recommending the Magma. You need to take into account that the Magma has an extremely tight draw wide open compared to most of the rdas that you listed. You have to want that to really enjoy it. You can't open it up for some clouds and tighten it down for more flavor, it's tight on every setting. It's not a bad atty though if that's your thing.

nicnac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles
One thing I've learned about RDAs in general is that to get a good flavor, you need your negative posts NOT mounted to the deck.
Like Magma, quasar, tugboat, samurai, stillare, caterpillar, freakshow, Pollux............
Chamber size and shape has to do a lot with it too
Too many air flow options no good for flavor either (like Samurai).

Last edited:

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
The Magma was the first RDA I picked up and I loved it... until I got a Derringer. I haven't touched my Magma in weeks and don't see me using it again. I don't think the flavor of the Magma comes anywhere close to the flavor of the Derringer. Also, I am using a nickel build in one of my Derringers and it works great. Only using a single coil on that one at .12 ohm but it is a fantastic and flavorful vape.

The Freakshow (full size) is overrated IMO. Tried multiple builds on it and the flavor was just okay at best. Have never tried the Mini but the reduced chamber might make a difference.

I want an Aeolus myself but I'm thinking about waiting for the new version to come out.

Im with this guy.. Magma was my first, and was quite a change coming from Kayfun Lite land when I got it. But the leaking ...... me off so much that I only used it once in awhile. Got my Derringer maybe two months ago and was converted to dripping.. But that said, just got the $8 Samurai Bonsai clone from Angelcigs yesterday and the Derringer is now the red-headed stepchild along with the Magma.. Granted, I was too lazy to build my normal 29 gauge/2mm/1.5 ohm coil I use in everything I own, so I stuck one of the prebuilts it came with in it which looks like its 24 gauge/2mm/.5 ohms, so this could be the reason for the huge difference in the vape, but man oh man its heaven. After one day with it, Im already shopping for some 26 gauge wire and may end up buying another one (I have 2 Sigelei Minis so might as well) and retiring my 3 Kayfun 4s, my Magma AND the Derringer clone now. I still have to do some more 'testing' with it and see how it performs with my usual build though.. As awesome as it is, at .5 ohms and 18 watts, I killed a fresh LG HE2 in way less than 24 hours and plenty of juice along with it.. Luckily I make my own so at least that wont be a problem since Ive got a few years worth of PG/VG/Nic in the fridge..

Reactions: jhhollier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread