Status
Not open for further replies.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Vape mail today! YAY!

I got my standard satin silver Provari with blue led and my IBtanked. Don't say "I want pictures or it didn't happen" because I have no way of posting pictures and I know you know exactly what I have. :p

So I tear into the packages and first I take my protank2 off my MVP2 and put it on my Provari. Oh my, that is nice! I am sitting here looking at all the parts to my tank enjoying my new Provari. Keep in mind I have never had a cartotank at all. I won't give you all the details of getting this set up (nobody needs to know right?) but I did get it together.

Now, I place it in the "thingy" and open and close watching the bubbles and checking the carto waiting to see it is wet. Next thing I know the "thingy has juice all in the bottom. #*$&!! Ok, I clean it up and refill the tank and I bet you can guess what is happening now. I know I flooded it but the snap, crackle, pop is driving me nuts! Is there anyway to stop it? PLEASE! Will I have to replace the carto? Will it eventually stop?

I have only been vaping for 3 months and have not encountered this problem before so TRY to take it easy on an old lady that wants something nice to vape. :blush:

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Try this..

Take the tank off your Provari, blow through the carto from the 510 connection towards the drip tip, into a paper towel. When it stops spitting out liquid, lay it down and leave it alone for an hour or 2.

Then try again, it will probably be fine.

Depending on the individual carto, some hissing and popping sounds are normal. Gurgling means flooded. Sometimes you just cant unflood a flooded carto, so you will have to start all over with a fresh one.

Your 2 ohm carto can safely be vaped at 4 volts (8 watts) maybe higher. Maybe start at 3.8 volts and work up to 4.

How is your PT2 on your new Precious?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
There are many different methods to fill a carto. I'm constantly trying new ones I read about, but I keep coming back to my own (or a variation of it). I tried using the Thingy, but I don't have the attention span for it. I also usually fill more than one carto at a time. You may want to give my way a try for variety.

The Ocelot Method of Carto Filling (aka The Upside-Down Condom)

Regarding the crackling. I didn't catch if you are aware that there are two types of crackles. The annoying one that pops juice into your mouth and the other one, which is a happy sound the carto makes when it's vaporizing correctly. Some make the happy sound, some don't, and sometimes when they do it can be quite loud.

ETA: Despite what you have been told, you can "un-flood" ("de-flood?") a carto. There are pictures on my blog. Some of us flood them on purpose - you just don't vape them right away.

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
There are many different methods to fill a carto. I'm constantly trying new ones I read about, but I keep coming back to my own (or a variation of it). I tried using the Thingy, but I don't have the attention span for it. I also usually fill more than one carto at a time. You may want to give my way a try for variety.

The Ocelot Method of Carto Filling (aka The Upside-Down Condom)

Regarding the crackling. I didn't catch if you are aware that there are two types of crackles. The annoying one that pops juice into your mouth and the other one, which is a happy sound the carto makes when it's vaporizing correctly. Some make the happy sound, some don't, and sometimes when they do it can be quite loud.

ETA: Despite what you have been told, you can "un-flood" ("de-flood?") a carto. There are pictures on my blog. Some of us flood them on purpose - you just don't vape them right away.

Thanks! I was not getting juice in my mouth so perhaps it was happy? I wasn't! If it was occasional I could live with it but this was annoying and very loud. You say some do and some don't so would it be the brand of carto? I did as Bernie suggested and a lot of juice came out. I will wait and see how it does later. I am heading to your blogs to read, thank you!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks! I was not getting juice in my mouth so perhaps it was happy? I wasn't! If it was occasional I could live with it but this was annoying and very loud. You say some do and some don't so would it be the brand of carto? I did as Bernie suggested and a lot of juice came out. I will wait and see how it does later. I am heading to your blogs to read, thank you!

It can be the brand, it can be the batch, it can also be the juice, or it can be because it's Friday. Don't be concerned, you will soon be as conditioned as a Pavlovian dog to associate the crackle with happiness.

ETA: If you don't have a carto condom, you can use a variation of my method with the cap for a pen or anything else of similar size you have around.

Last edited:
I love my Ibtanked. Its great. The snap crackle and pop is pretty normal actually I find when its popping away I like it best.

As for the thingy and getting juice all over in there I have found you only want to turn to top cap only a half turn or so, if you really crank down on it filling the carto it will flood and leak out the bottom of the 510 connection. Most likely what you did and what I did priming the first time using the thingy.... So give it a nice 3-4 turns to prime I have found works and thats with an XL carto ;)

Hope your enjoying your Provari, mine will be here Monday!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
A couple things -
1 - carto tanks CAN be noisy. If it's vaping good, you got it right.
2 - Smok cartos, which may be what you have, if you got them from IBTanked, may be a little more crackly than Ikenvapes...
3 - do you have a "gap" between the tank and the ProVari top? If you have a 22 mm tank, a "ring" filling that gap may cut down the noise!

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
A couple things -
1 - carto tanks CAN be noisy. If it's vaping good, you got it right.
2 - Smok cartos, which may be what you have, if you got them from IBTanked, may be a little more crackly than Ikenvapes...
3 - do you have a "gap" between the tank and the ProVari top? If you have a 22 mm tank, a "ring" filling that gap may cut down the noise!

I am learning!
I will soon be ordering Ikenvapes cartos (I got a couple of Smok with my tank). I have read many good things about them.
Yep, busted! I do have a gap but the ring should be here today. I read it was needed after my order so I ordered it seperately.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help. It is very much appreciated. It is frustrating at times when you have no idea how to fix a problem but I have always found the answer on this forum. This place is awesome and the best place I have ever made myself at home.

I put the tank back on a few hours later and it is MUCH better with only the occasional crackle. I can deal with that! I do LOVE my Provari and IBTanked. I don't think it gets any better (please don't tell me it does ;) ). I think I have come a long way in only three months (some people think I am crazy but that is ok). I am really enjoying my very own DIY in this set up which tastes even better than before and I loved it before.

Now I just have to find a nice place to put all of these things. There are many stands that I love but I can't do those due to the cat that owns this place. I have to find something enclosed to keep him out but hoping I can find something a nice stand can fit into along with everything else. I don't see this journey ending anytime soon.

My name is Ld and I am addicted! :vapor:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Now I have one more dummy question...

When I ordered my IBTanked, I got a spare tube. I was sent 4 o-rings along with this in 2 different sizes. I expected 2 but the different sizes kind of threw me a bit. Can someone tell me why? I am thinking perhaps if you use different caps it might be different? Would like to know for sure. Thanks!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

When I ordered my IBTanked, I got a spare tube. I was sent 4 o-rings along with this in 2 different sizes. I expected 2 but the different sizes kind of threw me a bit. Can someone tell me why? I am thinking perhaps if you use different caps it might be different? Would like to know for sure. Thanks!

The different o-ring sizes go to different places on the caps. The smaller ones go on the inside of the caps which make contact with the cartomizer. The larger ones go on the outside of the caps and make contact with the glass tube.

Hopefully you got the tank filler tool with your IBTanks. This will help protect your o-rings from damage when inserting the carto into the tank. If you didn't get one, you need one. With over a dozen IBTanks and using them for over a year I have yet needed to replace an o-ring because I always use a tank tool.

BADITUDE'S CARTOTANK SETUP GUIDE

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

There are two different sized o-rings in the caps, but you can't really see them unless you take the caps off - *which I highly recommend you don't!* When you wash the tank out, leave the caps on. There is also a thin rubber washer (that you can't see either) that fits on top of the glass so the cap isn't resting directly on it. The washer is very squishy and makes getting the caps back on a MAJOR pita.

ETA: Baditude beated me, but he forgot about the washers. I don't know why OCD doesn't send a couple of those along too. I have yet to replace an o-ring, but I've replaced several washers.

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Oh crap! This could be part of my problem.....

I did look at the caps before filling. I originally thought the smaller o-rings went inside the cap for the cartomizer and put them there. When I put the cartomizer in, they fell out so I thought I was mistaken. $*%&!

Is it possible they are there and I didn't see them? I only have 4 0-rings, 2 in each size. It is not leaking and I hate to take it apart if not needed.

Edit: I do have the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread