Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Im not sure why people mess around with building simple coils, the quality and longevity just doesnt come close to something like a clapton/staple etc.

Coilology Performance 7-in-1 Prebuilt Coils Set
Funny....after 6 years of messing around with every kind of coil possible, I'm not sure why people mess around with building extravagant coils. With enough practice, a simple single wire coil will perform as good or better and they won't demand so much from your battery. I still build fused claptons from time to time, out of boredom....but they usually get pulled out rather quickly.

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018
Started to play around a little bit. Im using those 24g wires for practise. Ordered some 26g Kanthal.

Is this anywhere near how a dual coil should look? :D

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_200414.jpg
    IMG_20180809_200414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Started to play around a little bit. Im using those 24g wires for practise. Ordered some 26g Kanthal.

Is this anywhere near how a dual coil should look? :D
They look great! The one on the right looks like it collapsed a little, but that could just be the picture. Way better than my first time.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Great Ill go trough these as Im done with other tasks. :)
Responding to each reply can be daunting. If you choose, you can click "like" (the thumbs up) icon,or other icons, at bottom right hand corner of this post, this action will notify the respondent of your following response.

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
Yep - which is why I recommended organic cotton balls. :)

You may try other cotton or rayon, and find something that you like better. It may be Swag, Cotton Bacon, or something else. Certainly the packaged cotton is marketed expressly for vapers, and simple to use, but in the end regular old cotton is fine to start. It's all the same material, just in a different form.

Of course the texture and wicking properties may vary slightly, but organic cotton balls work fine and are cheap. I just unroll the balls into strips and cut the strips into 2-3 inch pieces.

I highly recommend the rayon, if you have local beauty supply stores locally. I got a 500 foot box of 100% rayon cellucotton for 13 bucks at Sally’s beauty supply been using it for 3 years now and it works great!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I would learn to wick with cotton first before switching over to Rayon IMHO.

There is a steep learning curve to Rayon as it is not wicked the same as cotton and that is where most first time Rayon users fail.
I had no issues with rayon, even when first using it. It just kind of came natural.

I had more problems out of cotton, though I was able to get the hang of cotton fairly quickly.

I think everyone should try both when they start and go with the one that works for them the best.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had the opposite experience, I found cotton to be universally upsetting, difficult to wick, yukky, leaky and everything else.

While it was certainly early on in my RTA world that someone suggested rayon and I'm so glad they did. Rayon does have some different properties than cotton, but they are fairly simple, not hard to understand, and I wouldn't (in my world) hand myself the MOST DIFFICULT wicking for me to master and say, "Oh, hey, masochist, teach yourself to wick with that."

Basic differences: Cotton swells, rayon shrinks. So, why not try BOTH and see which suits your proclivities? I am a "more is better" person, so my tendency is to overstuff coils, and leave tails just all BUNNY rabbit like in their density and that led to tons of dry hits and choking and just leaking everywhere because my tank was such a mess.

EVEN with rayon, I have to remind myself, "don't overstuff." The principle with rayon is SLIGHTLY tight in the coil, trim and thin elsewhere, and I don't go out and only watch rayon builders wick an RTA that is new to me, because I've used it enough to sort of be able to TRANSLATE what I see, which is like okay that's some weird amount of cotton that to me looks "eh, how did he figure THAT amount out?" and then, with rayon, I can gently hold the coil in place, twist my rayon through, gently pull so there is a HINT of resistance as I hold the coil in place and that is Plenty. Then, I jus trim and thin a bit more than I might think, but not INSANELY and if I keep to the same general shape/length as cotton keeping in mind it shrinks, it doesn't expand, well the wicking SHAPE or where it needs to SIT that is ALL the same.

So, there's no reason to not try BOTH and see which one you like better and also, what works best for you. Some people complain of a rayon break in taste but if you just saturate your wick and burn off some of the juice as you are getting your wick settled before putting the top on, guess what, there will be no "Taste" and you will be good and sure your rayon is like, starting to break in and isn't looking TREMEDOUSLY wrong or anything like that, then put on the top and fill or fill and put on the top or whatever your atomizer requires.

There is no reason to do the 30 day "cotton only" challenge, and there is no reason not to find out if "rayon sucks for you, or cotton is better" AFTER some predetermined date. I mean, really it's not that hard to mentally translate the differences and if *I* am saying something related to an RTA is easy well, you should sit up and take notice.

If you prefer cotton, fantastic, good for you, and rayon won't be out there LURKING at you going "I am a wicking material you haven't tried yet," only THEN you are so used to cotton the whole shrink vs. swell winds you up feeling like Alice in Wonderland in the Mushroom grove and it's MUCH harder.

Also with rayon, if you pay attention (I would imagine this is true for cotton also) you will develop a semi-subconscious sense of what is "enough" over time. There is NO reason to not figure out your semi-subconscious LEANINGS right out of the gate if you ask me.

Other advantages: lasts longer, withstands higher heat better, your won't have to rewick every day, you can wet the wick and things get EASIER to manipulate not harder (IMHO) due to the shrink vs swell bit. I find it a lot easier to use a screwdriver to stuff my wicks into where they need to go in this like, minimalist fashion and if you wet cotton you'll all of a sudden have MORE wick and you will (if you are me, anyway) go ARGH HELP I can't get anything to move or SIT ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Etc.

So, I think that everyone should try both and probably you will wind up leaning one way or another or if you don't there will be certain things you LOVE cotton for and certain things you HATE it for but wicking sucks so hard (again if you ask me) that it wouldn't have been HARDER having two options, I would have been "Okay, one material is sucking LESS, I am going to keep on keeping on with that."

Again, all just my opinion OF COURSE. But there is no "virtue" to starting with cotton because it's more widely used, more people use it, etc, etc. It's really... that would be like insisting everyone start with Silica wicks because that is ALL that was available at first , so you need to build your silica skills to get to use cotton, etc., etc.

Anna

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I had no issues with rayon, even when first using it. It just kind of came natural.

I had more problems out of cotton, though I was able to get the hang of cotton fairly quickly.

I think everyone should try both when they start and go with the one that works for them the best.

Agreed.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos and read a lot of posts in the rayon thread here at ECF. Lots of warnings about making it real tight and thinning the tails and this and that, etc, etc - but when I actually tried it I just made it snugger (than cotton) in the coil, never thinned the tails, and vaped away - it worked just fine right from the start. I don't think there's any "magic" needed to use rayon.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I'm setting up a guy at work as he's wanting to get started with rebuilding tanks. i use rayon exclusively but gave him organic muji pads to begin with. think he's best starting out with those until he finds his wicking feet.

Pads are simple for a beginner. Once you figure out the width of the strip that works it is very easy to repeat.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Im not sure why people mess around with building simple coils, the quality and longevity just doesnt come close to something like a clapton/staple etc.

Coilology Performance 7-in-1 Prebuilt Coils Set

Personal taste and application, really.

I use both, and have spools of single wire kanthal, stainless steel, and nichrome along with spools of clapton in kanthal and stainless. Then there's the assortment kits of pre-made exotic muti-strand coils (SS and kanthal) in my tool box.

I use different wire for different applications. I never use clapton or multi-strand wire in my Hadalys, Stumpys, or Origen Littles but use clapton and others exclusively in my Recurves, Nudge 22s, Pulse, and many other larger RDAs.

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018
They look great! The one on the right looks like it collapsed a little, but that could just be the picture. Way better than my first time.
Was a bit. And didn't light up as the one we see on front.
I had the opposite experience, I found cotton to be universally upsetting, difficult to wick, yukky, leaky and everything else.

While it was certainly early on in my RTA world that someone suggested rayon and I'm so glad they did. Rayon does have some different properties than cotton, but they are fairly simple, not hard to understand, and I wouldn't (in my world) hand myself the MOST DIFFICULT wicking for me to master and say, "Oh, hey, masochist, teach yourself to wick with that."

Basic differences: Cotton swells, rayon shrinks. So, why not try BOTH and see which suits your proclivities? I am a "more is better" person, so my tendency is to overstuff coils, and leave tails just all BUNNY rabbit like in their density and that led to tons of dry hits and choking and just leaking everywhere because my tank was such a mess.

EVEN with rayon, I have to remind myself, "don't overstuff." The principle with rayon is SLIGHTLY tight in the coil, trim and thin elsewhere, and I don't go out and only watch rayon builders wick an RTA that is new to me, because I've used it enough to sort of be able to TRANSLATE what I see, which is like okay that's some weird amount of cotton that to me looks "eh, how did he figure THAT amount out?" and then, with rayon, I can gently hold the coil in place, twist my rayon through, gently pull so there is a HINT of resistance as I hold the coil in place and that is Plenty. Then, I jus trim and thin a bit more than I might think, but not INSANELY and if I keep to the same general shape/length as cotton keeping in mind it shrinks, it doesn't expand, well the wicking SHAPE or where it needs to SIT that is ALL the same.

So, there's no reason to not try BOTH and see which one you like better and also, what works best for you. Some people complain of a rayon break in taste but if you just saturate your wick and burn off some of the juice as you are getting your wick settled before putting the top on, guess what, there will be no "Taste" and you will be good and sure your rayon is like, starting to break in and isn't looking TREMEDOUSLY wrong or anything like that, then put on the top and fill or fill and put on the top or whatever your atomizer requires.

There is no reason to do the 30 day "cotton only" challenge, and there is no reason not to find out if "rayon sucks for you, or cotton is better" AFTER some predetermined date. I mean, really it's not that hard to mentally translate the differences and if *I* am saying something related to an RTA is easy well, you should sit up and take notice.

If you prefer cotton, fantastic, good for you, and rayon won't be out there LURKING at you going "I am a wicking material you haven't tried yet," only THEN you are so used to cotton the whole shrink vs. swell winds you up feeling like Alice in Wonderland in the Mushroom grove and it's MUCH harder.

Also with rayon, if you pay attention (I would imagine this is true for cotton also) you will develop a semi-subconscious sense of what is "enough" over time. There is NO reason to not figure out your semi-subconscious LEANINGS right out of the gate if you ask me.

Other advantages: lasts longer, withstands higher heat better, your won't have to rewick every day, you can wet the wick and things get EASIER to manipulate not harder (IMHO) due to the shrink vs swell bit. I find it a lot easier to use a screwdriver to stuff my wicks into where they need to go in this like, minimalist fashion and if you wet cotton you'll all of a sudden have MORE wick and you will (if you are me, anyway) go ARGH HELP I can't get anything to move or SIT ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Etc.

So, I think that everyone should try both and probably you will wind up leaning one way or another or if you don't there will be certain things you LOVE cotton for and certain things you HATE it for but wicking sucks so hard (again if you ask me) that it wouldn't have been HARDER having two options, I would have been "Okay, one material is sucking LESS, I am going to keep on keeping on with that."

Again, all just my opinion OF COURSE. But there is no "virtue" to starting with cotton because it's more widely used, more people use it, etc, etc. It's really... that would be like insisting everyone start with Silica wicks because that is ALL that was available at first , so you need to build your silica skills to get to use cotton, etc., etc.

Anna
Quote material:"rayon won't be out there LURKING at you going "I am a wicking material you haven't tried yet" :D

Seems like I learned a second option for cotton.

• Winner
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread