Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This paragraph is actually backwards. The higher the VG, the LESS formaldehyde at any given level and the higher the temp before it really started elevating. It was the 90VG/10DW that was the safest. At my suggestion he went back and retested by adding DW to other mixtures (such as 45PG/45VG/10DW and 90PG/10DW) and adding the DW consistently improved the results across the board.

Sorry, I may not have been clear. To clarify, I believe Mike's temperature results are quite accurate. I believe Mike's data showing greater production of formaldehyde with a 50/50 mix being greater than a 100 VG solution is not as accurate as that obtained by Wang. Wang's method of collection of effluent vapor in a trap and both formaldehyde and aceolein quantitied by HPLC analysis to be more accurate. There increasing the ration of VG did show higher VOC production by VG rather than a PG/VG mix once past the inflection point. Wang also showed that at high temperatures VOC production could match that of cigarette production. So you can pick which result set you want, but no knock against Mike, but relying on a commercial ambient room sensor for formaldehyde alone rather than a far more sensitive collection and HPLC analysis by Wang, which measured more than just formaldehyde alone as a more accurate measure of those compounds at different temperature points. I do believe Mike's results for temps reached under normal vape conditions to be reliable as he used lab standard thermocouples to determine those findings.

Also to clarify, I wasn't discussing the varying boiling points of different PG/VG ratios where the more PG the lower boiling point noted but rather VOC production with formaldehyde as a marker for that. VOCs include way more than formaldehyde alone. Aceolein also needs to be considered, which Wang did but Mike didn't have the tools to accomplish, as well as other VOCs not measured by Wang. Formaldehyde is not the only VOC to be concerned about. There are others, including benzene, which I do not believe have been tested for at varying coil temperature.

The link to Wang's article is in Mike's blog if you want to go back to the original source material.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread