Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So explain to me how 18 watts on a 0.7 ohm is any different than 18 watts on a 3.5 ohm. It just heats up faster right? My upper limit is about 9 watts, anything else tastes like ..... Doesn't matter the resistance, juice, atty, or device. It's just ....ing NASTY!

I also don't need extreme battery life (I've got 18350's on the way for my vamo) as I've got egos for out and about. In my line of work, I'm not carrying around a giant silver phallic with breakable parts, period. Nor am I going to put another giant 18650 in my pocket for when my vape starts getting weak.

the biggest difference is that in your set up your zaping that liquid with to many volts, thats why your juice is burning. with a sub -1 coil the wire is thicker producing a much cooler wire also not burning your juice. most people coming over from cart & attys that have these vv devices still think that higher is better, lets just jack up the volts to get clouds of vapor, well in a genesis atomizer it doesnt work like that.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
also you can have a vv device that works good at low resistances, a provari v-2. not as good as a mechanical mod but pretty good. i set up my provari with a 3/4 wrap of 28g to a 0.8Ω and it rocks pretty nice. also coils at 1.0 to 1.2 works well. on the provari the best low resistant coil is a 1.2Ω coil at 4volts. i love both, a nice mechanical mod and the provar v-2. but the mechanical mod is a little better

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
the biggest difference is that in your set up your zaping that liquid with to many volts, thats why your juice is burning. with a sub -1 coil the wire is thicker producing a much cooler wire also not burning your juice. most people coming over from cart & attys that have these vv devices still think that higher is better, lets just jack up the volts to get clouds of vapor, well in a genesis atomizer it doesnt work like that.

Finally someone who will give me actual INFORMATION and not just "dude, low resistance and lots of watts is awesome, it's like a steam engine! Don't talk .... until you try it!"

THIS actually makes sense. Lower gauge wire, less heat at given watts.

Thanks!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Finally someone who will give me actual INFORMATION and not just "dude, low resistance and lots of watts is awesome, it's like a steam engine! Don't talk .... until you try it!"

THIS actually makes sense. Lower gauge wire, less heat at given watts.

Thanks!

yes, if your running high resistance then you most likely will be using thinner wire, thinner wire at hi volts and hi watts is just to hot for certain juices. a thicker gauge wire at lower volts and hi watts will run alot cooler producing a better flavor then the thinner wire. watts is not watts, its all about wire temp.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
heard of a kick? also i don't think you'll quite understand until you're vaping off a .7-.9ohm coil with a good mech, it's just something that seems odd, but when you try it you become a believer, and it is not for everyone not trying to push you into believing us mech lovers, but it's truly something (mech+low res coil on an RBA) that a VV device cannot deliver

this

I am so tired of the it isnt regulated crap and your vape isnt the same everytime argument. If you havent vaped sub one ohm on a mech mod dont talk about what you dont understand.
I use 18amp samsung batterys and i get a full day on one 18650 battery can go a day and a half before i notice vapor drop off.

Once you vape at 18+ watts on a genny unregulated nothing else compares and i mean nothing

and this

Vaping at high watts with a 32g wire isn't the same as vaping at high watts with 28g wire. THe 28g gauge wire is super responsive but isn't nearly as hot as the 32g wire at equivalent watts. At 13 or 14 watts everything tastes burnt with a 32g wire but even at 16+ watts the vape is super smooth with 28g wire.

Also the new IMR batteries make using a VV device almost pointless if you're using a genny.....especially with a low ohm set up.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
now once you have tried this thicker wire and low resistance you would see the differece. the only problem is that most vv devices cannot do this, the provari v-2 can to a certain point, but a mechanical mod is better. so this is why some perfer the mechanical mods over vv devices. once you do try something like a sub 1 ohm coil, most never go back. the vapor it produces is just thicker and fluffier, but dense, it is hard to explain the difference unless you try it. you dont neccesarily get more vapor, just better vapor.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
this

and this

Vaping at high watts with a 32g wire isn't the same as vaping at high watts with 28g wire. THe 28g gauge wire is super responsive but isn't nearly as hot as the 32g wire at equivalent watts. At 13 or 14 watts everything tastes burnt with a 32g wire but even at 16+ watts the vape is super smooth with 28g wire.

Also the new IMR batteries make using a VV device almost pointless if you're using a genny.....especially with a low ohm set up.

the one, two punch.

Telescope Neil

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines

AH, WHAT AN AMAZING DAY FOR ME! This just explains it, I have been searching for reasons why people tend to like sub ohm coils when you can get the same watts at higher ohms. I am now going back to my mechanical with my DID clone :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
AH, WHAT AN AMAZING DAY FOR ME! This just explains it, I have been searching for reasons why people tend to like sub ohm coils when you can get the same watts at higher ohms. I am now going back to my mechanical with my DID clone :)

just have to have a good wick going, i have had the best results with 500 mesh rolled super tight. i have always oxidized my wicks. but now have went to ceramic wicks.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I meant if you use a samsung or MNKE IMR battery with the very high amp limits.....they deliver a very consistent vape with a mechanical mod and a genny with a low ohm set up...the voltage drop off is minimal. You can vape on it all day before noticing a drop off in vape.....and the batteries will last way longer than the same batteries in VV device at lower watts. VV devices actually eat up batteries like crazy. SO why use a genny with a VV device that limits you to an inferior set up and eats up your batteries?

shortee611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Aylmer, On
So explain to me how 18 watts on a 0.7 ohm is any different than 18 watts on a 3.5 ohm. It just heats up faster right? My upper limit is about 9 watts, anything else tastes like ..... Doesn't matter the resistance, juice, atty, or device. It's just ....ing NASTY!
You'd need to supply 8 volts to hit 18 watts on a 3.5 ohm coil. For a mech you'd supply 4 volts and a .9 ohm coil to get 18 watts and drawing a current of 4.5 amps witch is well withing the safe range of most batteries out there. Hell a MNKE battery can have a constant drain of 20 amps safely. I'll never go back to high ohms again. The flavor is fantastic and never a burnt hit.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I meant if you use a samsung or MNKE IMR battery with the very high amp limits.....they deliver a very consistent vape with a mechanical mod and a genny with a low ohm set up...the voltage drop off is minimal. You can vape on it all day before noticing a drop off in vape.....and the batteries will last way longer than the same batteries in VV device at lower watts. VV devices actually eat up batteries like crazy. SO why use a genny with a VV device that limits you to an inferior set up and eats up your batteries?

To call VV devices "inferior" is a bit silly methinks. I'm not saying they're necessarily SUPERIOR, but they certainly aren't "inferior"

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Never said VV devices are inferior....when did I say that? Read the paragraph again...."inferior set up".

VV Devices are great and the VW are even better if you are rotating between different cartos and attys and clearomizers. But if your are using genesis devices a low ohm set up is better in my opinion and the VV devices limit your set ups. They don't allow you to use a 28g wire properly. Unless you try it you don't know what you don't know. Like vapdivrr said once you try it there is no going back. I have only been doing low ohm set ups for three weeks and he is absolutely right....my vv devices are voltmeters now. Ofcourse all this is my opinion....YMMV.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I do think there is a debate about whats better, or as good as, in a number of areas and some of it has to do with preconceived notions about:
1. resistance to voltage/watts ratio's...
2. mechanicals like ie what, a Reo or an SB... i don't know, something thats not regulated.
3. newer mechanicals that are meant for SLR Genesis coils and materials and design of contacts for clear transfer of power to atty without restrictions or amp limiters.
4. SLR vs. LR and SR coils for Genesis atomizers

I'm using my Penelope with a 1.7 Ohm (premade coil wire) at 10w ( i think the max on my Zmax)... its a super nice clean smooth vape.

I also have 3 Genesis devices with sub 1.0 Ohms ... one is a Polidiac with a Cobra. They all have 28g wire. There are no issues with vapor or flavor..

I'd have to give the nod to the Geni's for slightly better all around... I can say I've given up anything else but RBA's, and I prefer the Zmax to Provari because of VW....
Very expensive stuff, and i did get rid of my Provari because for half the price you can get a Zmax, and the Hybrids and Mechanicals are damn expensive.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Not everyone's preference is the same. I was curious about a LR coil and a mech mod.. tried one at a vape meet and was too hot for me. (which was good because I didn't want to spend more money to find that out) I just had a 1.0ohm coil on my DID running it on a provari and the taste was off.. like a stale carto. I took it off, cleaned my wick with water, gave it a couple juice burns, rewrapped the coil, adding another wrap to get 1.3ohms. Much better to me. I don't like a really hot vape. I prefer warm to cool. I wanted to be able to make the DID work for me, using a provari and I accomplished that. Superior and inferior is totally up to the user. I feel that my setup is my idea of superior. If I want to go hotter, with 1.3 on a provari I still have room to move up.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Sorry it'll do 3.5 volts with a 1 ohm coil at 3.5 amps = 12.25 watts. In a perfect set up. The current limit on the Provari is 3.5 amps. From the provape web site. Whereas a mech mod 4.2 volts with a 1 ohm coil = 4.2 amps and 17.6 watts.

Internal battery resistance and mod resistance won't allow it to deliver that actual 17.6 watts, but the concept is sound.

shortee611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Aylmer, On
The internal resistance of a AW IMR 18650 is around 100 milli ohms couple that with a high end mech mod with brass or silver plated contacts the resistance is negligible. Now i do have a problem with the internal resistance of my ZAU that i'm not happy about. That 17 watts is in a perfect world. just like the 12 watts from the Provari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread