Who uses Capella flavorings and TFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I need to ask, noob mixer here. I've been mixing my juice now for about 3 weeks? or a month maybe? Doesn't matter... All I bought were TFA flavorings, at least the seller claims they are. So far so good, no problems there.

Today I received my very first Capella flavoring and the color is scary! Someone tell me please if this looks normal? TFA flavoring is like beer in color, like Budweiser? You get the point. But this Capella flavoring looks like red wine when pure and brandy when mixed. I have here 80%VG and 20% of the flavoring and this is scary to me.

20190116_085542-jpg.792405

20190116_085542-jpg.792403

Attachments

• 20190116_085542.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I use 5 different brands and that is simple because I am happy with my recipes. I do consider what chemicals are in them, so I have worked to replace some specific flavors.

As to the color, I don't think about it much. Taste, I think about. For Capella, I have learned that their plain fruit (peach, etc.) Are on the sweet side. I generally try out a single flavor with two weeks of steeping and at 5ish percent to get a reading on it.

I take a LOT of notes.

Good luck!

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
What color did you expect double chocolate to be? Ive not used that one because i dont care for chocolate vape but id say thats about the color id think it would be.

I have tfa double chocolate and the color is like beer. it taste alright. much stronger than tfa version but yeah... i can almost tell by it's color. thanks anyways...

Reactions: stols001

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I need to ask, noob mixer here. I've been mixing my juice now for about 3 weeks? or a month maybe? Doesn't matter... All I bought were TFA flavorings, at least the seller claims they are. So far so good, no problems there.

Today I received my very first Capella flavoring and the color is scary! Someone tell me please if this looks normal? TFA flavoring is like beer in color, like Budweiser? You get the point. But this Capella flavoring looks like red wine when pure and brandy when mixed. I have here 80%VG and 20% of the flavoring and this is scary to me.

20190116_085542-jpg.792405

20190116_085542-jpg.792403
How come your mod is laying on it's side, but your juice is sticking to one side of the tank?

Reactions: ranjen617

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Someone tell me please if this looks normal?

I use mostly TFA flavorings, 14-15 of Capella's, as well as others from several additional manufacturers. The color of flavorings can/will vary from brand to brand...even if the name of the flavoring is the same (ie. vanilla custard, double chocolate, etc.). It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the flavoring though. For me, how it tastes is more important than its color.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Hey all! Thanks for the responses. I fell asleep before quoting a few posts. Anyways, I don't mind much the color too if it wasn't for the cleaning part. I also ordered coffee flavor and damn the color is like real black coffee, add the fact that this stuff is sticky when mixed pith VG. They all taste alright, no problem there. But I doubt I will stick with dark color flavorings as it's so hard cleaning attys. The cotton turned like burned black too but they are perfectly normal. The residue, the droplets inside the glass tube, the bell/dome and everything on my atty, all of my atty are dark and that's what I don't like. I'm gonna have to boil them all this weekend. :(

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can certainly find colorless chocolates if that is your desire. The color wouldn't worry me personally although again,; if you think it will gunk your coils faster you don't have to use it. Have a hunch SOME flavor manufacturers MAY add colorant (but not that many) others just don't try to filter out the natural color from some flavorings.

I have found my chocolates to be a TINY bit gunky regardless of what I use, but I often will tend to sweeten them, so it's kind of a chicken or egg situation.

That is what RTAs are for, by the way. Things you love but will kill drop in coils in a hot minute, etc.
Anna

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
You can certainly find colorless chocolates if that is your desire. The color wouldn't worry me personally although again,; if you think it will gunk your coils faster you don't have to use it. Have a hunch SOME flavor manufacturers MAY add colorant (but not that many) others just don't try to filter out the natural color from some flavorings.

I have found my chocolates to be a TINY bit gunky regardless of what I use, but I often will tend to sweeten them, so it's kind of a chicken or egg situation.

That is what RTAs are for, by the way. Things you love but will kill drop in coils in a hot minute, etc.
Anna

What flavors do you use as sweeteners? I find TFA brown sugar good as stand alone and I don't know what to mix with them. When I was buying juice, I remember I can make my coils & cotton last up to 5 days max. Now using my own mixes, all I can do is 24 hours and the coils, or the cotton start to bitter out.

Today was my taste test day. I got a few flavors. The image I took was just one of six flavors I tried. Fruits, well, I still wonder why I keep hoping to find any good in them. I got watermelon and apple today and they taste identical even after brushing my teeth and two cups of coffee. I can't tell which is which, just plain sweet and sour and cool taste. I wonder if there is 'color blind' equivalent for taste, but I think I have that. LOL

Chocolate is my go to flavor ever since. I can't get away from them, I'm just trying out different brands, but I think I like TFA better than capella and FA.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hey all! Thanks for the responses. I fell asleep before quoting a few posts. Anyways, I don't mind much the color too if it wasn't for the cleaning part. I also ordered coffee flavor and damn the color is like real black coffee, add the fact that this stuff is sticky when mixed pith VG. They all taste alright, no problem there. But I doubt I will stick with dark color flavorings as it's so hard cleaning attys. The cotton turned like burned black too but they are perfectly normal. The residue, the droplets inside the glass tube, the bell/dome and everything on my atty, all of my atty are dark and that's what I don't like. I'm gonna have to boil them all this weekend. :(
You might try ordering the coffees that are premixed with cream, they are generally not darker. Purilum caramel coffee with sweet milk is very good. Flavourart and Vape Train Australia makes some good coffee blends, most are strong and used at lower percentages and that keeps your juice lighter.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
It should probably be noted that some flavor concentrates and mixed e-liquids naturally darken as they mature.

Yep! I saw that thread where OP took pictures of a bottle with juice steeping. It darkened a few shades, but I don't think that's gonna matter in my case if I'm gonna start with the shade of black coffee. LOL

As much as possible, the darkest I can accept (personal choice) is tea or beer color. At least for atty cleaning concerns.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
double chocolate v2, my only and very first capella purchase. Is this okay?

Chocolate if I'm not mistaken is one of those flavors that just tends to be dark.

I use a veriety of different flavoring brands in my diy mixes. Some of them are almost clear and some of them are extreamly dark brown. The only thing that the coloration is likely to effect is how long your wick/coils last. Darker liquids tend to degrade wicks quicker and cause coil gunk more rapidly.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
As much as possible, the darkest I can accept (personal choice) is tea or beer color. At least for atty cleaning concerns.
Capella Double Chocolate V2, includes "caramel coloring" in their ingredients list:
upload_2019-1-17_15-7-3.png

(source)

This is not uncommon. TFA/TPA also uses it in one of their chocolate offerings:
upload_2019-1-17_15-13-24.png

(source)

They do, however, also offer a caramel color-free version as well:
upload_2019-1-17_15-16-56.png

(source)

I have not heard of any health warnings/risks associated with vaping caramel coloring (doesn't mean there isn't; I just haven't heard of them). But, you are right; it is certainly a coil/atty gunker.

If you are going to continue pursuing chocolate concentrates, you might want to do a bit more research. And, avoid concentrates with caramel coloring, to minimize fouling. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread