Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
8503747890_d880e961b8.jpg

8502640501_68b975f535.jpg

I'm going to give "long, room temperature steep" a go (not whole leaf - MacBaren Black Ambrosia: This is a special blend of choice, fully ripe Burley and matured Virginia tobaccos. A mild and tasty pipe tobacco with an exciting aroma).

1oz tobacco blend - ground down further in a spice grinder. I'm a believer in more surface area for an extract.
2oz PG
2oz VG
Sealed with the FoodSaver mason jar attachment. Shaken well. Moved to the basement with reminders to shake weekly.

I'm shooting for six weeks. I have three more varieties on hand, so I will likely start one every weekend. I'll check back in 6 weeks. Nothing to report until then.

Thanks for the thread and experiences posted to date.

MsMacgyver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
Illinois
I'm not home to check for certain but I "think" it was the 25% burley and 75% canadian flue mix.
Edit thats the sweet smoke one. I "think" its the burley that adds the sweetness.

Thanks!...From the information I have collected so far the Canadian mix is a main filler in analogs, used in light blends, high sugar level, nice aroma, mellow and sweet. Did you use aged burley?

MsMacgyver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
Illinois
No, regular burley. I did not try the aged. I am not sure why I decided on the burley, maybe this " is commonly used to make your blend more full in flavor."

I think the burley adds a smokey, robust flavor which is why I ordered aged, its more mellow. The leafonly site information said the rule of thumb is the darker the tobacco leaf, the stronger more aromatic it is. You start with a higher percentage of the base tobacco then add in smokey, sweet..whatever makes you happy. There are certain tobaccos you can use just like spices in cooking. Dark fired cured, dark air cured, shade leaf, oriental, latakia and perique are all flavoring tobaccos.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sorry guys, been super busy traveling all over the country during e week for work and then weekends visiting family back home etc...I will revisit the extractions and see if they are now worthy of sending samples, but I wasn't too happy with them initially, they all tasted the same for some reason, not bad but not as good as I hoped. Now that they've steeped, perhaps the tobacco will be more prominent so we shall see!

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
Sorry guys, been super busy traveling all over the country during e week for work and then weekends visiting family back home etc...I will revisit the extractions and see if they are now worthy of sending samples, but I wasn't too happy with them initially, they all tasted the same for some reason, not bad but not as good as I hoped. Now that they've steeped, perhaps the tobacco will be more prominent so we shall see!

Awesome man, good to see you back. Hopefully you made some good money!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Awesome man, good to see you back. Hopefully you made some good money!

Lol, thanks, I'm salaried so make the same regardless of travel, but traveling is what I do most of each week...if I was in sales though...would probably be doing pretty well!

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
Lol, thanks, I'm salaried so make the same regardless of travel, but traveling is what I do most of each week...if I was in sales though...would probably be doing pretty well!

Haha awesome. Me too. Except I get paid salary and sales. Best of both worlds!

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
Yea I had seen the post on using a slow cooker but from all the searching I've done it seems that if you just let it steep in your solution for about a month the flavor is much stronger and more complex.

In general, a slow steep with any herb will produce a more complex result than a fast one. When extracting herbs for medicinal purposes, this can be considered "better," but not always. It depends on the specific plant and the use one plans to make of it. A lot of herbs are quickly extracted in water. In this case, I think either will produce good results - and I plan to try both the crockpot and slow steep methods. I expect to prefer the slow steep, but that's subjective. More than one thing about vaping flavors has surprised me, and I'm just getting started.

Real interested in ScarfAce and Carbon's experiments et al...having never worked with tobacco before, I don't know what to expect. I know it's a complex herb, and not just for the many varieties. I want to try a robust blend that's heavy on latakia. Haven't even begun to wrap my mind around what I should blend it with, so if you have suggestions I'd love to hear them. Hope to make a Leaf Only buy next month.

Has anyone tried adding alcohols to the steeping mix? I was thinking a little brandy or rum might make it interesting. Also, have you tried adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar or other acid to the juice?

Last edited:

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
8503747890_d880e961b8.jpg

8502640501_68b975f535.jpg

I'm going to give "long, room temperature steep" a go (not whole leaf - MacBaren Black Ambrosia: This is a special blend of choice, fully ripe Burley and matured Virginia tobaccos. A mild and tasty pipe tobacco with an exciting aroma).

1oz tobacco blend - ground down further in a spice grinder. I'm a believer in more surface area for an extract.
2oz PG
2oz VG
Sealed with the FoodSaver mason jar attachment. Shaken well. Moved to the basement with reminders to shake weekly.

I'm shooting for six weeks. I have three more varieties on hand, so I will likely start one every weekend. I'll check back in 6 weeks. Nothing to report until then.

Thanks for the thread and experiences posted to date.

Jacoji, I'm curious about how your ground tobacco extract turn out? Please let us know if you get a chance.

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
I used Nicaraguan Seco and Canadian Flue Cured...stuffed bottles to the brim and then filled with 70pg/30vg 12mg mix. I let it steep for roughly 3 months. Strained...best vapes I've encountered yet. I purchased 5 other leaves to try...I'll let you know in 3 months how they turn out.

hairball, this sounds very handy in the sense that one can just filter the concoction and vape! How was your second batch by the way? Perhaps one can prepare these in smaller bottles and then sample each every 1-2 weeks after filtering.

Last edited:

Lowry

Nov 13, 2013
Virginia
Yeah, but it takes a month! :laugh:

I considered buying from Leafonly but the thing is I am not (yet) expert in blending my own tobaccos. At that site you get a pound of Burley or a pound of Turkish or whatever. I don't know if those tobacco types even taste good on their own. When I buy a high-quality commercial tobacco, at least I know that a practicing tobacconist who knows what (s)he's doing has had a hand in preparing it. That, while not guaranteeing good results necessarily, makes it more likely that the end result will be tasty. It'd be a shame to wait a month for that to steep and end up with some expensive swill.

I've got some feedback, and info on these juicy leaves, and also some concerns to share. I am new to joining here, but recently evolved (after six months) to DIY NET extraction. I am no expert, but have done 7 brews (using the 2x quick cook in VG method) with LEAFONLY leaves.

Firs things first....
I've only used my leaves from LeafOnly, and will share the customer experience as well as satisfaction etc. I ordered a sampler of Dark Fire Cured, they are supposed to be used for wrappers, and are not graded (as mentioned by website). when ordering, I was thinking "Heavy heavy leaf for maximum strength extraction" more on that in a second. I shot a question down on the comments section of the ordering process asking what would be the sweetest leaf, two hours later I received an email after ordering (not a confirmation) but from Monique responding to my question. She answered it straight up and that was that, but when I received my order (came quickly) I saw that they had sent one full FREE leaf of EACH the two suggested tobaccos, Virginia flue cured sweet, and Canadian Virginia tobacco. I was very impressed with this service, and quite shocked that they went the extra mile on two different occasions.

Back to the "black gold", the Fire Cured leaf extraction went horribly, I ended up with what looked like straight up used oil. I guess that's what I get for using a very dark wrapper for extraction, this stuff smells like straight up sweet campfire. That is a no go for straight up NET flavor, I use 1-3 drops per 10Ml for a tobacco strong exhale note.

Virginia Flue cured mixed with Canadian Virginian , It came out looking identical to a bobas bounty shade. Smelled like straight up leaves off the ground, hint of old earthy DIRt hahaha, but its description as a "Smoke" is identical to its vape. I'd suggest using one or two of these leaves in a sampler, with a sampler you'd get 1/4 pounds (1-5 Whole leaves) which is a crap-ton shipped for $8 or less

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I did the Virginia Flue cured in a maceration. Heated the PG (just warm) in microwave, poured over broken up leafs in a mason jar, put under a vacuum and let set for 3 weeks, shaking when I thought about it. Pressed with a potato ricer to get as much juice as I could out of the leaf, then strained through a coffee filter. Looks dark and smells good, and cost less than $1 to make about 60ml. Mixed at 10% with 5% coffee in a 50/50 24mg, looks a dark amber and taste good. Started bigger batch to be ready by Christmas (added a tsp of ground Gevalia French Roast Coffee as coffee enhances the tobacco flavor IMHO). Have not even used 1/3 of the 1/4lb of Virginia Flue cured I got from leafonly, so the cost to make your own is very cheap.

Vape On
:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread