Status
Not open for further replies.

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
I was listening to Click, Bang a while back and Russ had someone on talking about how he mixed his PG/VG and Nic solution first then had some whole tobacco leaf that he just let steep in that solution for about a month and then his e-juice was ready to go. Anyone ever try this and what was your success and how exactly did you go about it?

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I just found the LO website today actually, planning. Preparing. Soon to start purchasing and try my own extractions. Will monitor your thread hoping you get some responses, but I have heard of people doing this, though initially at least, I will be trying scarf-ace's quicker method using a slow cooker and adding the nic and possibly flavorings later.

Actually, come to think of it, I will probably try this alongside the faster method to see what works, for me, better! A well designed, controlled experiment is right up my alley!

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Pretty certain there was a UK based liquid vendor that shipped a blend with two bottles. Instructions were to pour some liquid out of the first bottle into the second (that contained leaf) and to let this sit for a week.

Can't remember the vendor or liquid name though.

I've been planing on getting some from Leaf Only & trying Scarf-Ace's technique of using a slow cooker, or adjusting it and using a double boiler.

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
Yea I had seen the post on using a slow cooker but from all the searching I've done it seems that if you just let it steep in your solution for about a month the flavor is much stronger and more complex. Here's what I planned to do; get some leaf from LO, de-vain it, try to chop it into pretty hefty chunks without mashing it, then adding it to a 50/50 12mg no flavoring mix and letting it steep for about a month to a month and a half. Then strain out the leaves with progressively smaller filters till there's nothing left and possibly adding some MTS Vapewizard to maybe round out and rough edges. From there might be able to add some vanilla and caramel to give some real subtle background flavor. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DFDF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2012
United States
Pretty certain there was a UK based liquid vendor that shipped a blend with two bottles. Instructions were to pour some liquid out of the first bottle into the second (that contained leaf) and to let this sit for a week.

Can't remember the vendor or liquid name though.

I've been planing on getting some from Leaf Only & trying Scarf-Ace's technique of using a slow cooker, or adjusting it and using a double boiler.

I beleieve that was the El Toro liquids.

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yea I had seen the post on using a slow cooker but from all the searching I've done it seems that if you just let it steep in your solution for about a month the flavor is much stronger and more complex. Here's what I planned to do; get some leaf from LO, de-vain it, try to chop it into pretty hefty chunks without mashing it, then adding it to a 50/50 12mg no flavoring mix and letting it steep for about a month to a month and a half. Then strain out the leaves with progressively smaller filters till there's nothing left and possibly adding some MTS Vapewizard to maybe round out and rough edges. From there might be able to add some vanilla and caramel to give some real subtle background flavor. Any ideas?

Yeah, but it takes a month! :laugh:

I considered buying from Leafonly but the thing is I am not (yet) expert in blending my own tobaccos. At that site you get a pound of Burley or a pound of Turkish or whatever. I don't know if those tobacco types even taste good on their own. When I buy a high-quality commercial tobacco, at least I know that a practicing tobacconist who knows what (s)he's doing has had a hand in preparing it. That, while not guaranteeing good results necessarily, makes it more likely that the end result will be tasty. It'd be a shame to wait a month for that to steep and end up with some expensive swill.

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
Yeah, but it takes a month! :laugh:

I considered buying from Leafonly but the thing is I am not (yet) expert in blending my own tobaccos. At that site you get a pound of Burley or a pound of Turkish or whatever. I don't know if those tobacco types even taste good on their own. When I buy a high-quality commercial tobacco, at least I know that a practicing tobacconist who knows what (s)he's doing has had a hand in preparing it. That, while not guaranteeing good results necessarily, makes it more likely that the end result will be tasty. It'd be a shame to wait a month for that to steep and end up with some expensive swill.

True true, but you can usually pick out the tobacco that are most commonly used and probably get a pretty decent vape from it. I was thinking Virginia flue cured tobacco from leaf only. A lot of juice manufactures use that tobacco base so the trade shouldn't be bad...

Reactions: Devilstompa

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thanks to Scarf and 6spdsurfer, I have decided that this weekend I will try a side by side experiment, slow cooker extraction and the 1 month steep (Scarf would this be maceration?) in PG. Obviously the slow cooker method will be ready a week or two earlier, but I will use the same tobacco and let you know how they compare. I have some other "experiments" and control groups lined up as well.

Will keep you updated.

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
Thanks to Scarf and 6spdsurfer, I have decided that this weekend I will try a side by side experiment, slow cooker extraction and the 1 month steep (Scarf would this be maceration?) in PG. Obviously the slow cooker method will be ready a week or two earlier, but I will use the same tobacco and let you know how they compare. I have some other "experiments" and control groups lined up as well.

Will keep you updated.

Want to send out some samples? :)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Want to send out some samples? :)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Hey 6spd, absolutely, when this batch is done in about a month for comparison, I will definitely send you some, if they are at all vapeable. i'm not sending anything to anyone that tastes awful of course. But I'm expecting at least one of the three kinds of tobaccos and at least one of the extraction methods to work out at least ok.

So here's what I have going:

Black Cavendish Pipe Tobacco
Tin Star "Gold" Pipe tobacco
Mystery tobacco, to be disclosed at a later time ;)

All three were placed into a baggy with approximately a 1/4 cup of fresh grated coconut and "cured" or infused or whatever for 2 days, with frequent mixing.

Today I halved the baggies into mason jars, so three baggies of the three tobaccos went into six jars, topped up with PG, 100 mL. One set of each of the coconut tobaccos is going to sit with near daily stirring/mixing for 1 month.

The other set of three will sit until I get back into town on Thursday, then into the slow cooker 8 to 10 hours times three. These I will then take a small sample of to make test juices, just to evaluate where it's at. Then a 2 or 3 week steep.

In one month, I will mix up some juices and compare!

If anything is decent, I will let you know and gather address info so you can be one of my guinea pigs!

Thanks for the interest.

Carbon

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah I wanted to go for something a little different, and have seen a lot of people requesting coconut flavors, so thought, why not a coconut tobacco? Might not be any good but only way to find out!

My hunch though, is that the extract won't have enough coconut in it to be very noticeable when it is diluted down appropriately for a final juice, which could be anywhere from 5% to 33% from what I've seen reported around here. So I may end up adding some coconut infused PG to the base and see where that takes me.

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
Yeah I wanted to go for something a little different, and have seen a lot of people requesting coconut flavors, so thought, why not a coconut tobacco? Might not be any good but only way to find out!

My hunch though, is that the extract won't have enough coconut in it to be very noticeable when it is diluted down appropriately for a final juice, which could be anywhere from 5% to 33% from what I've seen reported around here. So I may end up adding some coconut infused PG to the base and see where that takes me.

You need to take pictures and document every step... seriously. That'd make an awesome tutorial...

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
I was looking through the Natures Flavors site the other day, they have a section where they talk about extraction. The way I read it is a cold extraction is actually better for flavor. It's great if you can soak the leaves in alcohol but I can't...have to use VG only

What kind of alcohol? Grain?

6spdsurfer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
dooid.me
6spd, I posted my first sampling on the slow cooker method thread started by scarface. As soon as these are finished, and my empty sample bottles arrive, I'll start sending you some for your feedback. PM me your address if still interested!

Carbon

Awesome man, thanks! I sent it over to you, have you had a chance to try it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread