Status
Not open for further replies.

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
2011-11-14_10-25-02_610 (1).jpg

Ok, I have made two of these drip attys and they short out. There is no solder in a place there shouldn't be to cause a short and I made sure on the 2nd one I did I didn't overheat it and cause the insulation to burn. I put the kanthal wire on it and every time it lights up then goes out. My batteries shut off or I get the E1 error on the provari. This is made from a CE2 with pins soldered on the post and the ground. I just don't understand and I'm hoping someone can tell me where I'm an idiot and screwing up. Thank you

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Do you have a multimeter? A continuity test will let you find the short easily. My best guess would be a rip in the insulation. Even when you're careful, it's easy to get a small tear or burn through. If you're out of insulators, throw a piece of heat shrink from Ratshack in place of it and test again.

Also, how many ohms are you wrapping to? If you're using too little kanthal, you'll be drawing too many amps and the protection circuit on the batteries will trip.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I just added a longer loop of kenthal to try it longer and I got this:

View attachment 63092

so it worked for a few minutes then shorted again, so progress meatsneakers :)

Ok what gauge Kanthal are you running?
How many wraps are you throwing on the wick?
Are you using a wick?
What Voltage are you running?
I run 32 awg kanthal at 4 wraps on a 1/16" wick at 1.8ohms at 4volts all day long on my provari. If it is dry it can cause errors on the provari, it needs to be wet. Running it dry with no wick, low ohms and high voltage will burn out every time.
I am on 70+ days on the same wick and coil on my provari.
Dan

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
Ok what gauge Kanthal are you running?
How many wraps are you throwing on the wick?
Are you using a wick?
What Voltage are you running?
I run 32 awg kanthal at 4 wraps on a 1/16" wick at 1.8ohms at 4volts all day long on my provari. If it is dry it can cause errors on the provari, it needs to be wet. Running it dry with no wick, low ohms and high voltage will burn out every time.
Dan

I'm using 32 gauge Kanthal, on my test run I just used the wire and no wick. I will try about 4 wraps around CE2 wicking, my voltage is running between 3.2 to 5 volts. Thanks Dan, might just have this licked soon. Thanks and I will report back.

Yea, it's probably just not enough kanthal. You should be testing a wrapped coil, with juice. A bare wire with no juice on it will burn out in air.

What I'm gonna try next and thank you again , been hitting my head against the wall

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
Ok, I tried it with 4 wraps around a CE2 wick and got a E1 on the provari. So I put the Kanthal into a big loop and wrapped it around a wick. I works great and lots of vapor but it's like huge, won't fit into a phono rca plug housing. So I know it works but anytime I just use what I'm suppost to, in the length of coil, it shorts. What to do now? I'm at a loss, again. :(

This is the big loop working
working.jpg

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Ok, I tried it with 4 wraps around a CE2 wick and got a E1 on the provari. So I put the Kanthal into a big loop and wrapped it around a wick. I works great and lots of vapor but it's like huge, won't fit into a phono rca plug housing. So I know it works but anytime I just use what I'm suppost to, in the length of coil, it shorts. What to do now? I'm at a loss, again. :(

This is the big loop working
View attachment 63244

Ok the problem is the legs of the kanthal are too long from the wick to the post.
I would try 6 wraps, since it liooks like they are smal coils, the wick should be almost sitting on the post, so there is almost zero kanthal leg from the post to the wick. Check the ohms with the provari, and shoot for 1.7-.19 ohms. keep it WET! :)
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Dan do you have a link to the post where you show how you wrap your coils? I can't find it and I think it would help CaminoDiablo.

Here is a bad and good coil wrap:
Coil Wraps.jpg
That help?

Here is a video of setting up the SS wick and coil wrap for a scubagen:
Wick for Scubagen - YouTube

Dan

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
I did it!!!!! :toast: Thanks to you guys, Dan the 6 wraps and the really short wick to the post worked!!!!! It's at 2 ohms and damn it works great. I'm like freaking out here, lol, used a junk CE2 to make a nice dripping atty. Now my friends are gonna want one (sigh) lol. I want to thank you both again, this is so awesome and easy once you do it a few 1,000,000 times :blink: Meatsneakers and Subabatdan.....you guys rock in my book. Them pictures helped at the end, I'm glad cause I was thinking I was gonna need a helmet the way my head was hitting the table in frustration.

My WORKING atty:

perfect.jpg

In the RCA phono plug :

2011-11-16_11-34-50_268.jpg

Last edited:

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
You want as much of the coil to be touching the wick, so wrapped around is ideal. I usually wrap my stainless steal wick, then wrap the legs of the atty with silica rope to keep it wet.

Sounds like a plan :) , I have the SS wick, guess I should switch it and do what you did. Thank you!!!!!

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
haha yea it gets scary how fast you can re-wrap a coil once you get the hang of it, especially after all the frustration when first starting. We all went through that I think... The phono atty was the result of a lot of messing around with different off-the-shelf ideas and turned out the easiest. Hopefully it can save people money, that they can spend on VV regulators and juice instead of attys :)

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
I know, I think of the hundreds of dollars I spent on attys over a couple of years and to stumble upon this..... speechless. Your sticky thread got me going now, I want to keep going lol. That phono jack just looks sweet and there is a radio shack everywhere. I tried the sticky to rebuild a stock atty and I'm surprised that I did it the first time thru. I have to say the frustration is worth it in the end, Think my wall need to be replastered from where I drove my head into it :blush: Your right, if people would start building stuff themselfs then yes the cash is there for the MUST haves. Live and learn and for the forth time thanks so much :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread