Why do people think it's acceptable for online vendors to shut down their ordering systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBOB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Austin, TX
There is a BBQ place in Dallas, Sonny Bryan's. They run several restaurants now that operate normally, but the original spot opens at 11:00 every morning. When they run out of BBQ, they close. Doesn't matter if it is 12:15 in the afternoon or 6:00 in the evening. When what they cooked that day is gone, they close. People drive from miles around to eat at there.

There is a BBQ place here in Austin, Franklin's BBQ. Pretty much the same deal, but people start lining up for lunch at 9:30 - 10:00 in the morning. About 11:00, the order-taker starts at the beginning of the line and starts taking orders. When they get to the point in the line when they determine they will run out, they send the rest of the line on their way. They send people away almost every day.

Both of these places are legend and do very well for themselves, operating the way they feel best serves their clients without sacrificing the product. It is all about supply and demand. They both have a fabulous product, that only they can produce. Are there other BBQ joints in both towns? You bet, a ton. But if you want the best BBQ in Dallas, you go to Sonny Bryan's. In Austin, Franklin's.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
The only vendor I will wait for is Ikenvape for cartos. I buy 50 at a time, have backup, and a bunch of vape shops in my area if I need them. However, Ikenvape does not shut down, except for some recent issues. And they do have emeil notification when they are back in stock.

As for the juice vendors who do that, I never tried them anyways. It is just not worth the hassle, when there is plenty of good juice I can get right away.

Kuidaore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Socal
Maybe I'm just too used to ordering online and sometimes having to deal with 'open' hours and orders being temporarily closed, but I don't really agree with OP. (Some B&Ms do have odd hours too.)

It takes much more money to open a B&M that isn't necessary for an e-tailer. So, someone that's working on their own has a chance to get their business started, but of course if there's great demand, they can't work around the clock to fulfill orders. It's giving small businesses a chance to grow, and in my opinion having limited open hours is better than their turnaround time getting longer and longer, until maybe you're waiting two months just for a bottle of juice. That's stressful on them, as well as the customer.

I'm not saying everyone has to give them a chance and make an effort to get an order in when they're open, but it's why I do it. :)

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
Looks like you can buy Boba's right now. I've tried it, and can't understand what the big hype is all about.

Just like anything else you taste, it's subjective. I don't love it but I like it because it is very different from any other vape, and it's a very high quality made juice. To me it is somewhat relaxing to vape it, maybe others feel the same. Good vapor production and throat hit goes a long way I think.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
I don't understand why people get mad about this.

Small business don't always have the resources to constantly be open like 7-11, and often the wait is worth it as they customize orders and do it right the first time. If I want quick service I order stuff from Surevapes, they turn stuff around almost immediately. For juices I don't care. I usually order at night and if it is filled two days later, I'm fine with it. I go into the buying experience expecting just this.

If you don't like a particular vendors hours, go elsewhere. When a boutique restaurant you always frequent is only open for lunch, do you head there for dinner and get disappointed? Do you rant and rave when you run out of a prescription med at 11 pm and you drive to Walgreens and it's closed? If you love football and turn on the TV on a Tuesday afternoon expecting to see a game are you ...... when it's infomercials about vacuums that can get the dirt out of a mud-caked alligator boat?

It's ejuice or vaping equipment, you can ####ing wait for it. :thumb:

lunchbox68

Sep 16, 2013
Houston, TX
Frankly, I think it's refreshing to see the big "We're Closed" on AiV's main page. Nothing is more frustrating when looking through a website to find the item you're looking for, only to find it's out of stock.

Perhaps people have set their expectations too high for what is ultimately an luxury item. It's not like we're having a hard time ordering insulin or something of that nature.

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Even amazon wont take an order for something that isn't in stock, when a small e-liq shop can't ship because of capacity, it is the same. They don't feel like they can process your order in a timely fashion so they don't accept orders.
Very likely, these shops started by taking orders 24/7 and found it was easier to apologize for not being able to take your order, than apologizing for not being able to ship the order you paid for.

Look at Nicoticket, it's been interesting watch him deal with increasing demand. He went from I hope people like this stuff, to wow... people like it and are ordering it, to, publishing what order he is currently working on, to trying to get ahead of demand with batch making to finally following the rest with, closed to new orders until I catch up. I would much rather have this than him getting weeks behind in orders, with more orders piling up etc.

Not being open to new orders is a place many places wish they could get to. Think of wal-mart. Open but can only check out two or 3 people at a time. Is it less frustrating to see they are closed? Or stand in line an hour to check out?

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
I would rather an online juice vendor close their shop for the day when sales hit the maximum point that they can handle and still be able to provide timely/good customer service, rather than just letting the orders pile up and waiting who knows how long for the product. However, I do think that if the demand is huge, they could hire a person or two and increase their profits by being open longer without compromising shipping times/customer service. Just my :2c:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread