Why do people think it's acceptable for online vendors to shut down their ordering systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
It's THEIR site so I suppose it would be up to them as to what they want to do with it.

I agree entirely. That was the point I was trying to make in my post above.

Again, as long as a business isn't breaking any legal, ethical, or responsible business practices, then I think they should run their business however they want.

I don't think retired was saying these businesses shouldn't be ALLOWED to do what they are doing....I think he was saying he can't understand why people would still order from them.

I see it both ways - but I lean more towards his way of thinking.

The MAIN reasons companies like that will never get my business - is because there for every 1 vendor that pulls that kind of stuff, there are 100 AWESOME vendors that have their line available 24/7....with JUST AS GOOD AS A PRODUCT.

Let's face it....there are TONS of great e-liquid suppliers out there, that are stocked 24/7.

If we are talking about hardware on the other hand....well, the people who are willing to pay $200 for a mod, are the same people paying for the "name", and they will be willing to wait no matter what.

Those of us who aren't paying for a name, but rather a great product....will settle for clones, and/or products that we don't have to give an arm and leg for.

I'm not knocking people who pay $200 for an rba, I'm just making an observation.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
Honestly im glad they shutdown instead of taking a bunch of orders they know they cant fill in a reasonable time period. Think about it if they got way back logged there would be a thread about how unacceptable it is that they took money knowing the wait time would be weeks to months and when money is already spent people get much more pissy.

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I must admit I felt the same way the first few times I tried to order from Ahlusion. After reading on here how great they were, and how many people just loved them, I wanted some of that good stuff too. Well, I would get on there and see the notice "site closed for ordering or accepting new customers" (or whatever it say's I can't recall at the moment). I'm telling you I was ...... off! I know I should feel ashamed and embarrassed, and I do now, but hey, I'm not perfect, I'm just an imperfect human being. My first reaction was a selfish one. How dare they deny me what I want right now! lol.

Well, I guess I calmed down and got over it, because after trying a few mornings I was able to get on, register, and order five juices. They alert you with a flashing banner that orders over five bottles will take longer to be filled. I felt like I'd won the lottery by being allowed to give them $54!

Guess what though? I ended up being super impressed with their professional customer treatment, constant email notification at every step in the process, and best of all, I love the juices I received.

Quite often I find myself initially resistant to new ideas when first presented. But after I've had a little while to get used to it, I wonder why I got all jacked up about it in the first place. Just ask my wife. She knows all to well.

best regards, larry mac

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA
It is my understanding that AIV is also a very small operation. They open long enough to take in the orders they know they can fill in a week. Each bottle is made fresh when ordered. Those of us who like AIV know when they usually open each week, then order. The flavors are unique and IMHO very well made. It is a minor inconvenience, I am aware of how they operate and buy accordingly. AIV is the most fun vapemail I get, charms on the bottles, unique and fun packaging, always a personalized thank you note and a free sample. They also have a section of new flavors that are in R&D, you can try them and offer feedback, they really listen to the feedback and keep adjusting till they are perfect before adding them to there regular line-up. Bottom line, for this vendor I am willing to wait to get the high quality and great customer service. Another plus is that you CAN view their products even if they are closed.

Last edited:

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA
Since when did aiv make it to where you can't even look at the site when they are closed?

I was looking at it a couple days ago, on a closed day. Can't even look to browse? Hell when they are open I'm at work, then by the time I'm off, they are closed. Smh

Send them an email and explain your situation, they have excellent customer service, I suspect they would be willing to work with you. It's worth a try.

jmoore124

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
va
This is honestly a rather simple answered question in my opinion. It is in fact acceptable for a high demand product. Think Xbox, Playstation, Iphone, GTA (whatever roman numeral they are on now) for example and how long these individuals will pre order and wait in line.

Call me weird, but I would much rather know when a company is out of something so that I do NOT order it. Online purchases for me need to be processed and shipped quickly. Having the company not make corrections on their website for low/no stock. Or changes when they are receiving a high customer load would lead to unexpected random shipping delays. That would aggravate me far worse than going to a site and not having to spend my money to be disappointed.

Thread coming from the exact opposite side of this argument and how it is costing customers.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/467702-ms-ts-bakery.html

Last edited:

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
I refuse to do business with a vendor who makes me jump through THEIR hoops to make an order. Shopping cart is closed all day and won't open until 7pm? Screw that! Consistently out of stock and have to be lucky on the day you have a few bottles for sale? Not gonna happen. Rewarding that kind of behavior by continually buying from them only reinforces the belief it's acceptable. It's not acceptable. Not by a long shot.

This is how I handle it. Very few things in the vaping world are irreplaceable. If it's too much of a hassle to get hold of, I'm going with the readily available alternative.

Also, as someone who started using the "Internet" when it was still called ARPANET, I just find it plain bizarre to go to a website to find it "Closed" for the evening. :facepalm:

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA
I have another thought on the small family owned businesses... if they expand and start hiring employees to meet a greater demand several things happen. They have to deal with more than just a business license, they have to deal with social security, workmens comp, insurance and all the other government requirements. They have to worry about quality control, ie will the employees be as concerned about quality, after all, it's not their name on the bottle. If it were me I would rather stay small.

bhswmc01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Boise, Idaho, United States
I have no problem with this - in fact, I almost prefer it! Suppliers who truly take pride in what they're making don't necessarily want to expand operations and potentially sacrifice quality for quantity's sake. For the two vendors we use (AVE and AiV), we know when they're open, and plan accordingly. Easy. For AVE, it sometimes takes a couple days to get an order in, but never an issue with AiV. And both sites' catalogs are visible anytime, regardless of whether they're open or not.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Speaking from a business owners perspective, I would much rather temporarily turn away new orders than to accept all orders and fall into a huge flooded backlog which, at the end of the day, hurts the customer, future business from said customer (due to delays) and can affect customer service as you then don't have the time to respond as quick as you normally would.

I don't run an e-juice business, though I do run another type chemical mixing business, so keeping bottles and chemicals on-hand to ship out is much the same. If I run out, it's marked as sold out and customers know we'll be re-stocking as soon as we get our shipments in from our suppliers.

At the end of the day, unless you make 100% of your own supplies (bottles, nicotine extract, PG/VG, etc), you're then at the mercy of the vendors you order from as a business. If they have delays, you have delays and your customers are hit with delays. Most businesses are not equipped to mold plastic bottles and lids, extract nicotine and do their own PG/VG.

I don't see it as a complaint, but I would suggest everyone take a look at it from the business side of things. If you're not in 100% control, then you're at the mercy of another business. If they're not in 100% of their business (and few are - most import or are wholesalers who mix), then you have a third tier. So as a business owner, I'd ask you to please not get upset. We're not all multi-million dollar companies and we have to watch our spending just as much, if not more than the 9-5 day worker.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I have found that BOTH of my favorite juice vendors are vendors that require That I watch for them opening (one on mondays and one on tuesdays)place my orders and wait 1-2 weeks for delivery and then steeping and I do not mind at all. The juices are so lovingly crafted packed and shipped it is worth it to me. I have tried my local B&M juices and others from larger companies that arrive in less than a week and have found them lacking. Both the companies I order regularly from are priced at about the same as grab and go juices from my local B&M's juice but they are so worth the planning and wait. Every very inexpensive juice I have bought have not been very vapeable to me.....but if I am going to pay .50 to .75 cents per ML I want something YUMMY.

Alice in Vapeland is my favorite with 8 out of 10 of my favorite vapes on my 4th order from them
Nickoticket has another of my favorites and I will re-order from them as well.

I have been lucky enough to have won juice from 2 other vendors having contests here and hope to find I like the juice they produce as well....one is a larger company the other is a smaller company.....I hope both are wonderful as I bought lots of juices when I was brand new only to find them not to my liking so I am now a bit leary of buying from new companies

Last edited:

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
I don't blame them to be honest. More honest portrayal of the size of their business and stock. They understand their business and their capacity. I'd much rather a vendor...I will pick on AVE...only open for a few hours and be able to handle all the orders they receive than to stay open all day and get seriously backlogged.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
I think that a lot of people that get miffed by opinions like the OP, might have have some experience running or owning a small business. I grew up in a small family business and ran one myself for quite a while until I gave it the eff up because of attitudes like the OP's. So, really it comes off more like entitled and / or ignorant. Which, honestly.. it's either one, the other or both.

It's one thing to be like "that's not my bag. I'll order from somewhere else" but it's another thing to call it inexcusable and suggesting something be done to make a small business operate like Walmart?

Small businesses will never, ever win. You either have to keep it scaled down and hear people complain or scale up. If you wanna scale up, you better be a damn good business person or people will just complain and you'll lose your .... Most people aren't excellent business people. It's an extremely hard job that can take a lot of years to truly get right.

Also, scaling up a e-cigarette business while all sorts of insane bans and threats of legislation are happening? You either gotta be extremely foolish or extremely confident.

Anyway... just my 2 cents. When I hear comments like the OP I just to prefer to assume that they have no insight or spoke before thinking .. or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread