Why does it take so long for my coil to heat up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am using 2 dripping attys. One is a Reomizer 2.0 and the other is a cheep clone of something that I got on fastteck. It takes 4 or 5 seconds after I've hit the button for the coil to heat up. Any ideas?

I'm using them on a Reo grand with AW IMR 18650's. I have three batteries in rotation. Two of which I just got 2 days ago.

I am using 1.5mm silica folded over once and a 4/5 wrap. With 28 gauge I get about .7 to .9 ohms. With 30 gauge I get about 1.2 to 1.5. The resistance seems to be solid and doesn't jump around.

I don't think it's a flooding problem because it exhibits this behavior with or without juice on the coil.

I have wrapped several coils and some have been great, but most take forever to heat up. I'm 99% sure I'm doing something wrong.

One more thing I should mention, I can't seem to get all the coils to light up. The outer most coil on either side never want to light up. I'm sure that is the key to my problem.

Here are a couple of pics just in case anyone can see a problem.

ylcx.png
b0pe.png

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Fat wire and fat wet wick act like a heat sink. Try to do a micro coil in the 1.5 ohm range and you'll be happily surprised. Because they are touching each other they heat up by fast. Also the wick is much smaller so no heat sink effect.

edit: I'm assuming you cleaned and noalox'd your firing pin?

I have not. I do have some noalox, but I don't know what I need to apply it to.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
First thing I would double check is that the screws holding the ends of your kanthal are good and snug. Next, I'd use my multimeter to check the voltage under load by holding the probes to the top of each post on your RM2 and then pressing the fire button for a couple of seconds. It's a bit of a balancing act, but it's not too difficult.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
First thing I would double check is that the screws holding the ends of your kanthal are good and snug. Next, I'd use my multimeter to check the voltage under load by holding the probes to the top of each post on your RM2 and then pressing the fire button for a couple of seconds. It's a bit of a balancing act, but it's not too difficult.

I just took a battery fresh off the charger and tested under load and got about 3.35V. Is that a little low?

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
What do you clean the contacts with enforce applying Noalox? I use pink rubber erasure but the reo power button contact seems too vulnerable to pressure.
I was using the wife's nail files to clean it, but that didn't go over too well. After she shaved her legs with my razor I decided I couldn't win that battle. Got some DeoxIT and apply cleaner and protectant with Qtips. We're both much happier now.
DeoxIT®/DeoxIT Gold® Spray Twin Pack - RadioShack.com

harley05

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Scarborough, Maine
I just took a battery fresh off the charger and tested under load and got about 3.35V. Is that a little low?

My fresh batteries meter out at 4.2ish. I change them at around 3.5. I'd say you have an issue with your batts and/or charger there, for a starter.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
2 A, from the pictures, it appears that the ends of your coils are very close to the posts - see if you can stick something in the coil and slide it out just a little. Too close can make the end coils not heat up right. Be careful to not get it out too far that it contacts the metal rim of the base or cap.

Also, I notice that the top leg of your coil is on the left by the juice hole - I would suggest wrapping in reverse, start with the left leg under the wick and wrap away from you so the right leg winds up on top ( I hope I explained that well?). That way, you can elevate the end of the coil that is near the hole allowing for better filling / draining. If the wick / coil obstructs the hole, it just doesn't function as well :)

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
What do you clean the contacts with enforce applying Noalox? I use pink rubber erasure but the reo power button contact seems too vulnerable to pressure.

I use fiberglass pens on all my mod contact points. Works like a dream. I use a few seconds and its clean. It is soft (like a paint brush) so it works great on uneven surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread