Status
Not open for further replies.

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Okay people. I do respect and admire those who have found that they can vape anywhere, anytime with their pv's especially when they could not do that with analogs. If it's good for you, it's good to me.

I have also seen people get grief over keeping to the same habits as they had when they smoked analogs.....vaping outside, or in designated "smoking areas".

I am one of those people who keeps to (Mostly) the same habits I had when I was smoking. I Vape outside, I don't really try to ask if I can vape inside businesses. The only exception and difference is that when I am downstairs in my room and fooling around on the computer, or just before bed, I will vape some. Also, I feel way less guilty vaping in my car with my teen daughter. I tried a lot harder not to smoke in my car if she was with me.

Why? Why don't I choose to vape anytime and anywhere? Because I have one very impressionable granddaughter who is smart as a whip. A few months ago, she decided to "copycat" her parents and I by crossing her little fingers and pretending to smoke. I would rather not make her think this is a wonderful thing for her take up one day.

As thrilled as I am about making the switch, it is still something that I am not trying to encourage in my kids and grandkid.

Plus.........there are a lot of people (famous people mostly) who either make a change or decide to stand up for something that are so incredibly obnoxious about it that I just can't enjoy their work anymore.

thoughts?

YogaMist

Apr 24, 2013
Okc
Why? Why don't I choose to vape anytime and anywhere? Because I have one very impressionable granddaughter who is smart as a whip. A few months ago, she decided to "copycat" her parents and I by crossing her little fingers and pretending to smoke. I would rather not make her think this is a wonderful thing for her take up one day.

I was that kid. My mom and grandmother still tell the story about how as a kindergarten age kiddo, I would mimic my grandmother by sitting on the couch and propping my feet up on the coffee table and use a toothpick as a cigarette.

I do try to be considerate of not vaping in places that have a majority of kiddos, although I vape in my home and car. My daughter and I have talked many times about the addiction of smoking when I was a smoker and how Mommy made a big mistake ever trying it for the first time. She knows exactly what it is and is very happy that I made the switch.

I do commend you for trying to be a good role model to your granddaughter.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I can see your reasoning. Thank god we still have the choice for the moment.

My story. I have 5 grandchildren now. The oldest is 14 the youngest is less than a year. The smallest one of course knows nothing yet. :lol: The older ones are thrilled that I've quit smoking. The 3 year olds don't pay any attention anymore. The one 3 year old, both parents smoke. She is happy that grandma doesn't say "Right after I finish this cigarette" anymore. Yeah, that's sad, but it is what it was. Now the other 3 year old has one parent that still smokes. He is told that this is my medicine that helps me not smoke. He is happy that I no longer smoke. I've been cig free for almost a year.

It really depends on the child and how it is approached. No two kids are the same.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
You've obviously given thought to your decision and I respect the decision you've made. :)

When I first stopped smoking and started vaping as each of my grandchildren came to visit I explained to each of them that grandma had stopped smoking (they were thrilled :) ) and that had been made possible by my use of an electronic cigarette, which I showed to each of them. I explained in what ways it was different from a cigarette in language that for each of their ages, they could understand. They all had a million good questions that I answered honestly as best as I could at the time. They have all continued to ask questions at different times through the 3 years I've been vaping. They have a better knowledge and understanding of the good and the possible bad of vaping then most adults.

I don't hide my vaping from them. That doesn't mean that I vape continuously when they are with me, but I do vape if I wish to. As a smoker I sometimes felt guilty that I still smoked and even though it didnt work, felt as if I needed to try to hide the fact that I smoked. I feel no guilt at all that I now vape. There is nothing about vaping that I need to hide from anyone. I'm no longer addicted to nicotine. I continue to vape because I want to, not because I have to, and they are all aware of that fact.

Kids are going to be kids no matter what we as adults do. The best thing we can do is to give them good information to form their own opinions and decisions on. As much we don't want it to happen we have to let our children and grandchildren make their own decisions even if they are sometimes bad decisions because we all tend to learn best from our own mistakes. We just hope our children and grandchildren learn better and faster then many of us did. :)

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Having five G-babies, 4-8 y.o., and with my vaping for 30+ months, they have yet to see me smoke or vape. And yes, they live within three miles (yes, I'm ever soooo fortunate!).

As far as they know, Grampa Guitar just doesn't stink like he used to. I now get much longer hugs!!!
snoopy.gif

'Outside' of that, I pretty much vape where and when I wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread