Why is 1.5ohms-2.0ohms better than 3+ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Lower ohms means lower resistance, which means it heats up more with less voltage.

If you are stuck with a 3.7volt battery you would want lower ohms to get the most out of the carto.

However if you had a variable voltage battery you can adjust to the ohms of the carto to match the performance.
For example if you had a 3ohm carto you would bump the voltage up to 5volts+.

eeMGee

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
A resistor dissapates energy as heat, basically the amount of heat generated can be expressed in Watts (W) (standard unit of POWER). Ohm's laws give: Power = Voltage x Current ( P = V I ). Current is goverened by both Voltage (V) and Resistance (R) as V = I R, so combining and expresing power in terms of voltage and resistance: P = V^2 / R.

Thus a 1.7ohm resistance with 3.7V => 8 watts power, to have the equivalent with a 3 ohm resistance would require voltage of:

V = sqrt(P R) = 4.9 V

This is of course all theoretical values, the construction and geometry of the atomizer likely will effect the non-empirical vape nature of the atomizer.

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States
I'm currently running my AeroTank on an MVP2.0. I like to stay at 1.7ohms and 6.5w-7.5w depending on the juice I am vaping at the moment. So to run a 3.4ohm coil and get a consistant vape, I would need to run about 3.6w....... and the MVP obviously doesn't go that low. Good to know, thanks guys.

Don't you have it backwards? The lower the ohms, the lower voltage you run. The higher the ohms, the higher the voltage?

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States
I'm currently running my AeroTank on an MVP2.0. I like to stay at 1.7ohms and 6.5w-7.5w depending on the juice I am vaping at the moment. So to run a 3.4ohm coil and get a consistant vape, I would need to run about 3.6w....... and the MVP obviously doesn't go that low. Good to know, thanks guys.

Don't you have it backwards? The lower the ohms, the lower voltage you run. The higher the ohms, the higher the voltage?

I might be confused with volts and watts.

Legend12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Las vegas

If your talking about watts you shouldn't have to change it to get a similar vape.. If you're referring to Voltage then you do have it backwards. The higher the resistance the higher voltage you have to run.

In terms of wattage though
1.5 ohm coil set to 3.2v = 7watts
3ohm coil set to 4.5v = 7 watts

Should give you a similar vape..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread