Status
Not open for further replies.

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
My Protege puts out very weak vapor. Fresh batt, broken-in-but-not-old atomizer, HV juice, high nic juice, cleaned and detailed the unit, nothing works to get this thing to work right. It was fine when I got it. A nice little vape, it was. Now my laser mod kicks it's ..... What can I do to help it along?

Dilutetrips

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2009
New Brighton, MN
Try a diffrent attie. I have had some last weeks (4) and still acted like it was new. I have had atties that last a few days. I belive atties are a very strange item with no way to tell how long they will last. I have had times where I go to bed and the attie was working great. Woke up in the am and put attie back on and nothing. Gremlins love to mess with atties.

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
My Protege puts out very weak vapor. Fresh batt, broken-in-but-not-old atomizer, HV juice, high nic juice, cleaned and detailed the unit, nothing works to get this thing to work right. It was fine when I got it. A nice little vape, it was. Now my laser mod kicks it's ..... What can I do to help it along?

If the atty's not the problem, how are you cleaning it? I was using rubbing alcohol and wiping everything back down. I thought my batts were already going - a stock batt vaped better! Turns out the rubbing alcohol wasn't doing job with the brass connectors. I just used a pencil eraser to really scrub the brass battery contacts on BOTH sides of the switch and the adapter. Good as new :)

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
I cleaned it with 80% ethanol. I'll give the eraser a try. Maybe a new atty, too.

The ethanol I was using was 91% and still left a residue. I had to keep scrubbing the black off the eraser onto my jeans to keep cleaning the brass!

The easy test for your atty is if it works well on the laser mod (or even a standard batt - same 3.7v) it should work on your protege.

I've read Brasso is good to use also. I wonder if it leaves a protective coating so you don't have to clean the contacts so often. Anyone?

NekoGurrl

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Muskego, WI
I just use a fine emery board to clean my contacts. Wipe it off with a little everclear. and good to go. Took some time on Thursday to clean both my Prodigy's and my protege. Went as far as polishing my Prodigy adapters, and clean up the machining marks on my Protege's switch housing. All bright and shiny now, and vaping up a storm.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Could it be the threads on the Protege? Cant remember the name now but i've read plenty of times on other mod threads to use some anti-seize (lube) on the housing threads to clean them and lube them up.. Its made for electronics so it will also help make a good clean connection.

EDIT: Heres the info..

Main threads:
For trouble free operation and smooth battery changes it is recommended to clean the main threads once a week with a soft cloth. Be sure to not leave anything behind. A small particle can cause big headaches when trying to change a battery.
I strongly recommend an anti-oxidant/galling compound. I personally use NOALOX, a product sold in most hardware stores including LOWES. It is a product made by IDEAL and it can be found in the electrical isle. Only use it on the main threads to prevent galling/seizing. To apply it simply use a small dab on a q-tip and apply it to the male threads. Work the compound into the threads by screwing and unscrewing the top and bottom. After it is worked into the threads wipe off the excess with a soft cloth. There are several other conductive lubes/anti-oxidants that can be used, this one is the most economical at $2.98 for .5oz.

Last edited:

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
WHAT a difference! Now it's working like it did when I first got it! Atty sizzling and massive vapor. It seriously hasn't been working right for a week or more now and I put it on the back burner cuz I was frustrated with it. Now it's like awwwwwwwww again!

So I took the whole switch out and everything just came apart and I put it together and back in and now it works like a charm, so what could have been wrong or caused this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread