why is my vape hitting so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently got myself a sigelei 100 plus and I absolutely love it. Coming from a mechanical mod I'm having a great time trying out new builds that just wouldn't work in a mech mod. I'm noticing, however, that no matter what I do my coils are consistently hitting hot. it's not a hotspotting issue (i had that problem and remedied it) meaning it's not unvapeable, it's just hotter than most other coils I've hit. I don't mind vaping this way but sometimes I feel like a cooler vape, and I just can't make it happen :/

I've tried lots of different builds, all of a pretty straightforward nature, nothing fancy. I wrap around a small screwdriver. I heat the coils on the rda and then firmly pinch them with tweezers until they look uniform. I've used 24 and 26 gauge wire, anywhere from 5 to 12 wraps, single and double, micro and macro. I've tried setting the wattage anywhere from 40-70 watts, with best results imo around 55-60 watts. All of this experimenting has still left me with high heat, and my only other explanation as of now is that it could be the rda I'm using (authentic plume veil 1.5).

does anyone know why my coils might be pushing this extra heat? Furthermore, can anyone suggest a good, cooler build, or maybe a certain method of building the coil itself?

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Had the same problem! I usually use 24 gauge, seven or eight wraps and wind up around .6 - .7 ohms on a Plume Veil. On my mech, I have no idea what wattage it's running at, but on my IPV mini (30 watts max), even 24 watts was too damn hot!

This makes NO SENSE in relation to ohm law, but when I drop the Mini down to around 18 watts, then it's good.

nfields5

Aug 18, 2014
Atlanta
I have the same set up exactly like you right now except I have a magma rda on top of my sigelei. I definetly had this problem at first but then I realzed that there is too much power going into these small ..... coils in building(vaping at 100 watts only of course). But the BEST, AWESOMEST, COOL BUT INTENSE flavor build for me was a 14wrp macro coil on 9/64 drill bit. It takes 2 second to heat up but the flavor is pure af and dense. Not much on vapor which I miss but hey, its all a trade off

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I just recently got myself a sigelei 100 plus and I absolutely love it. Coming from a mechanical mod I'm having a great time trying out new builds that just wouldn't work in a mech mod. I'm noticing, however, that no matter what I do my coils are consistently hitting hot. it's not a hotspotting issue (i had that problem and remedied it) meaning it's not unvapeable, it's just hotter than most other coils I've hit. I don't mind vaping this way but sometimes I feel like a cooler vape, and I just can't make it happen :/

I've tried lots of different builds, all of a pretty straightforward nature, nothing fancy. I wrap around a small screwdriver. I heat the coils on the rda and then firmly pinch them with tweezers until they look uniform. I've used 24 and 26 gauge wire, anywhere from 5 to 12 wraps, single and double, micro and macro. I've tried setting the wattage anywhere from 40-70 watts, with best results imo around 55-60 watts. All of this experimenting has still left me with high heat, and my only other explanation as of now is that it could be the rda I'm using (authentic plume veil 1.5).

does anyone know why my coils might be pushing this extra heat? Furthermore, can anyone suggest a good, cooler build, or maybe a certain method of building the coil itself?

What resistance do you come out with?

MR. Mad

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan
there can be many reasons for a hot or hotter than expected vape.
1. coil placement to close to the air hole = hot
2. the chip they are all different as to how they handle power .. example cloupor hana clone @ 22w is around 4.4v but the ipv2 and ipv mini put out that much voltage at around 18watts.
the answer go by taste and vapor production and voltage not by what the wattage reads on a vv/vw mod.
and also the further away the coil is from the air hole the cooler the vape .

there can be many reasons for a hot or hotter than expected vape.
1. coil placement to close to the air hole = hot
2. the chip they are all different as to how they handle power .. example cloupor hana clone @ 22w is around 4.4v but the ipv2 and ipv mini put out that much voltage at around 18watts.
the answer go by taste and vapor production and voltage not by what the wattage reads on a vv/vw mod.
and also the further away the coil is from the air hole the cooler the vape .

I can definitely fiddle with the coil placement. Thanks :) I don't think it has to do with the chip though, seeing as when I have someone at the local b&m do a build for me everything is fine. I'm thinking it's possible that something I'm doing in the wrapping process is causing it.

i wasnt placing "blame" on the chip i was just giving an example on how different they can be from one mod to the next. sorry if i gave that impression.

Oh no not at all :) I wasn't trying to say there was blame to be placed, except for possibly on myself for whatever it is I'm doing wrong lol. Just trying to eliminate possible causes. I think I've got the hang of it now. Your advice on how to fine tune it based on volts was the key. So thank you very much Mr. Mad! I wasn't quite grasping how watts, volts, and ohms are all connected. Basically you're adjusting the watts to find the right voltage for the specific resistance...I think that's right lol. My dual 26g, 9 wrap, macro set up is vaping like a dream right now at .5 ohms, 45 watts, 4.9 volts. 4.5-5 volts seems to be the cooler vape range I was looking for, I was vaping much higher than that based off of what I've generally seen online that 55-65 watts is where rdas should be vaped. But now I know that's gonna vary based on resistance. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread