Why No Vents On The V3.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luma

ECF Veteran
I now am thinking this as well... But how well would it vent in the rare occurance of a failure? It looks to me like the gas would have a tough time getting around the black plastic washer piece? Just picking this thing apart lately and want to figure it all out lol. I think I have actual OCD alulbit. lols

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I now am thinking this as well... But how well would it vent in the rare occurance of a failure? It looks to me like the gas would have a tough time getting around the black plastic washer piece? Just picking this thing apart lately and want to figure it all out lol. I think I have actual OCD alulbit. lols

In the case of serious failure, which I have never seen on the Prodigy V3 or ICON, the plastic would melt and be expelled through the 2 vent holes on the switch. :)

I tried to blow up a 14500 in a Protege about 2 years ago. Shorted the unit, placed the Protege under a trashcan in my driveway, then waited. First 5 minutes - Unit was hotter than heck ... Each passing 5 minutes after that, it got cooler, and cooler until it was just luck warm. No explosion, no issues outside a battery that had been devastated :)

Luma

ECF Veteran
In the case of serious failure, which I have never seen on the Prodigy V3 or ICON, the plastic would melt and be expelled through the 2 vent holes on the switch. :)

I tried to blow up a 14500 in a Protege about 2 years ago. Shorted the unit, placed the Protege under a trashcan in my driveway, then waited. First 5 minutes - Unit was hotter than heck ... Each passing 5 minutes after that, it got cooler, and cooler until it was just luck warm. No explosion, no issues outside a battery that had been devastated :)
Good to know! Thanks.

War Mouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Bay City MI
I had a spring fail in my V3 once. The unit becomes too hot to hold waaaaayyyyy before you'll need to worry about thermal runaway or venting. You'd have plenty of time to unscrew any of the pieces and set it down before you'd receive any kind of catastrophic facial vent fail. Unless you're one of those super rare people that can't feel pain, then it would just vent out of the button.

Scarab30

Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
colorado
I found this thread after doing a search for "prodigy v3 explosion" You guys are right on track. 2 months ago I recommended the v3.1 6v to a friend of mine. (I've had mine since sept) Love it! He loved his.

I swear to God this is true. I just got a call from his wife hysterically telling me that my friends v3 just exploded in his mouth. He has lost most of his teeth, burnt his eyes, the drip tip is lodged in his cheek and he's going into surgery!

I'm seriously freaked! WTF? His prodigy/batteries are two months old. My wife and I both use the same rigs. I'm contemplating going to the garage and drilling holes down the side of our v3's!

What would cause this? Batteries in wrong? A bad carto? Faulty batteries?

Wtf? I'm afraid to vape now! :-(

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
That is definately batteries. I would think it is from the 3.7 volt batteries since they don't have the same kind of protections as LiFePO4 crc123 batteries used in the 6volt set up. Lithium batteries have different forms of protection, some are "safe chemistrry" some have tabs to allow venting from the cell, some have fail circuits or something. Anyways, from what I've read, the crc123 batteries are generally considered the safest batteries. Consider switching to those and switch your atomizer to either the standard resistance or the high resistance.

I hope your friend's surgery goes well.

Edit: I just read from the other thread that he was using the LiFePO4 batteries. I have no idea, since those are generally considered the safest batteries around. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Scarab30

Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
colorado
So...the LiFepo4's that come from puresmoker with the prodigy arent of the safe chemistry variety? Where can I find the crc123's? will I need to get a different charger for them?
Also, as far as the venting on the v3, the only way it vents is when the switch is pressed. I suppose that when his battery was failing, it expanded inside the mod forming an airtight seal leaving the gasses no where to go but up. It sure didn't release pressure when he pressed the switch. Thanks Milo

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
That is why I edited my post. The LiFePO4 batteries are the one's Puresmoker sells. I have no idea why your friend's batteries exploded.

Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those batteries are considered very stable. As far as the venting, I always assumed the two vent holes would be enough in case of a critical failure, perhapse I need to rethink.

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
First & Foremost -- Your friend will DEFINITELY be in our prayers! We wish for a speedy recovery.

2nd ... Can you get us some pictures (not of your friend in question, but of the V3 itself?) The center post of the adapter is too large at the bottom to go through the adapter. Did the adapter pull off? Or did the atomizer simply shoot up?

bluffer

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2010
HogTown, FLA
I just spent a half hour explaining to my wife why my Prodigy (using AW protected 17670) would not explode, like the guy in Niceville. Then, while looking for Prodigy specific info to make her feel better, I found this thread. Sure would be good to hear more about how/why this happened. If my wife were to see this she'd probably steal/hide all my mods, then I'd have to get divorced... I really don't want to get divorced (a line from Pulp Fiction)

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Guys ...

Have not heard anything else on the issue that happened about a month ago?

As for the current issue, we have no idea whether or not our products were involved in the Florida incident that has recently been in the news.

From the reports we have seen that RCR/CR's might be the culprit of said issues, we've removed the Tenergy RCR123's LifePo4's from our product line up for the time being.

As for the Prodigy & ICON being vented - Yes, both contain vents in the switch (Take the switch apart, and you will see these small venting holes) The bottom is not sealed like the top portion where the adapter is.

Any more questions, feel free to ask :)

Hey Guys ...

Have not heard anything else on the issue that happened about a month ago?

As for the current issue, we have no idea whether or not our products were involved in the Florida incident that has recently been in the news.

From the reports we have seen that RCR/CR's might be the culprit of said issues, we've removed the Tenergy RCR123's LifePo4's from our product line up for the time being.

As for the Prodigy & ICON being vented - Yes, both contain vents in the switch (Take the switch apart, and you will see these small venting holes) The bottom is not sealed like the top portion where the adapter is.

Any more questions, feel free to ask :)

Thanks for the update. What batteries do you recommend replacing the Tenergy RCR123's with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread