Why should I quit vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yknotagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
Kenosha, WI
I started with the hopes of at least cutting way down on my 41 year chain smoking habit. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could stay away from analogs as long as I had battery power. When my 2nd shipment arrived I went analog-free. The urge is still there, but I just vape now. I still have 2-1/2 cartons of analogs untouched for nearly 5 days now.

My father quit 54 years ago at age 31 and my mother 20 years ago at 65. They were both very happy for me when I went to visit on Mother's Day. It was so funny as I vaped in the living room before telling my dad what it was - he got up from his chair and carried an ashtray across the room to me. Occasionally I do find myself trying to knock the ash off this thing lol

I haven't smoked a cigarette since the day I got my ecig which was about 4 weeks ago on tuesday and I fully intend to use it to help me quit smoking. the way I've been winging myslef off was to start with a medium level tobacco flavor (marlboro) liquid then switch to a flavor (apple is what I used) to slowly take away the feel of actually smoking a little more and now i'm on the lowest flavored nicotine level liquid i could find and just ordered my first 0mg liquid. honestly, I love vaping and it has also become a little hobby of mine but the bottom line is I don't want to feel like I NEED anything anymore. I've never been victim to any kind of addiction other than smoking and so far this has really helped me alot and if I can use it to completely kick the habbit then that's what I'm going to do.

....now if I enjoy the 0mg liquid as much as I hope then I'll more than likely keep vaping for a while but the ultimate goal is 0mg or nothing for me. :)

laynies

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Phoenix, Az
Hi Laynies,

I did the same thing. I vaped for over 5 months with out any real cigs. I gave everyone the story and even have like 15 ppl at my work using e-cigs now lol. I just said im not quiting just going to vape this from now on since I enoyed it. Over the 5 months just to see the difference in nic lvls I started cutting down the nic lvl ever months or so. I got to the point I switched to 0 nic and didnt feel bad if I vaped non stop since there would be no nic. That was my plan lol. After 2 weeks of no nic I found the other had happend. I would go hours and forget about vaping lol. after about 3 week or so I was only vaping after meals, since that was always habit for me. Finally I just didnt vape any more. Its been 2 weeks with no vaping no either. Was never my plan to quit just happened. Anyways just story for you on it.

JTC

Thanks for the story JTC. I've been a little scared to be caught without a working PV. I read so many stories from people who grab an analog when their equipment malfunctions that I've taken to carrying backups and backups for my backups wherever I go. I still find I need that 36mg once in a while but hopefully over time I'll be able to cut the nicotine addiction down a bit.

I'd rather quit like you did because it's a natural progression than because someone else thinks I needed to stop vaping. With cigarettes I never had the choice but maybe now I can do it :)

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
It's probably most prudent to get off nicotine to prevent a relapse. I am the same way though, I wasn't trying to quit analogs in the first place anyway. It always winds up in a lengthy conversation because most people are in fact, experts...But it usually ends with an, 'I feel great, why stop a good thing?':thumb:

"most people are in fact, experts..."

Too funny!

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Now, ain't that just like a Doctor. They have all the answers, don't they.
FIRST: is nicotine medicating? Ehh, it raises your blood pressure, wouldn't call that medicating..toxic, not medicinal..addicting, probably. Gives a sense of euphoria. So does morphine. So I guess you could say we like nicotine. I like caffein, as well. Does that help cope with ADD or ADHD? Not really. Stops short, matter of fact. It will only comfort you AFTER something happens that points out a shortfall!
May be that we with ADD have issues about comfort, self comfort, we always sort of sit back for fear of looking stupid, one reason is that we do have a different thought process! Plus I'm a Pisces, does that make a difference? YES! Perfectionist, also. Double trouble.
My kids and grandkids have also been diagnosed, so I passed it on, nice, eh? Makes for interesting conversations! I've heard it all about "additive prone", and I think I put that in the same class as Snake Oil. You need to check out the "Wrecked and Bonkers" thread on this forum! We have helpers there, good ones

Actually, Yirabeth's doctor put her on the right track. Scientific research overwhelmingly supports the fact that nicotine improves cognition.

Yirabeth

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Michigan, USA
Now, ain't that just like a Doctor. They have all the answers, don't they.
FIRST: is nicotine medicating? Ehh, it raises your blood pressure, wouldn't call that medicating..toxic, not medicinal..addicting, probably. Gives a sense of euphoria. So does morphine. So I guess you could say we like nicotine. I like caffein, as well. Does that help cope with ADD or ADHD? Not really. Stops short, matter of fact. It will only comfort you AFTER something happens that points out a shortfall!
May be that we with ADD have issues about comfort, self comfort, we always sort of sit back for fear of looking stupid, one reason is that we do have a different thought process! Plus I'm a Pisces, does that make a difference? YES! Perfectionist, also. Double trouble.
My kids and grandkids have also been diagnosed, so I passed it on, nice, eh? Makes for interesting conversations! I've heard it all about "additive prone", and I think I put that in the same class as Snake Oil. You need to check out the "Wrecked and Bonkers" thread on this forum! We have helpers there, good ones

Actually, I have overwhelming respect for this doctor -- and that is something I don't give easily, especially after dealing with my ex's rare blood disorder and doctors and outright QUACKS for so many years. I'm definitely a "prove yourself to ME" kind of patient. Plus this article on the wall WAS indeed from a medical journal. I believe what IT said, and I believe what the doctor said as well.

There are MANY approved pharmaceutical drugs out there that at small doses is beneficial, but at higher doses is outright poison. An example is digitalis for heart patients. So I don't hold that against nicotine..it is the nature of very many drugs, they give warning signs, and if you don't heed them they are deadly.

I will, however, admit the possibility of self-comfort, as well:) After all, I just started school for the first time in 25 years -- and I want to pull a 4.0. Perhaps it feels safer to keep using nicotine, than to worry I can't pull that 4.0 and some young kid will get the job I want because I'm old, and I can't even get good grades :) So of course I will freely admit I really don't WANT to quit nicotine right now...I do want to see how low I can go while maintaining the 4.0 I've already started though :)

My blood pressure doesn't concern me -- at times in my life I've had LOW blood pressure, but never high. So I have some leeway there...but yeah, I would watch my health, for any signs of harm, same as I do with my son's more approved medication. (actually this is why I kept trying to quit smoking, is seeing harm that smoking was doing to me)

~Yira

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Yirabeth, I'm right there with you. I've had to learn that hard way that the medical community is not the omnipotent force I once believed it to be. Now, I realize that most medical professionals are not geniuses...or even that motivated. I guess that medical school and residency is very challenging, so many doctors figure that after they complete that, it is time to take it nice and easy. It is sad, because there ARE some doctors that give 100%, and it must really weigh on their morale to see doctors all around them that barely try...and still collect $250k a year for their "services."

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
Yirabeth, I'm right there with you. I've had to learn that hard way that the medical community is not the omnipotent force I once believed it to be. Now, I realize that most medical professionals are not geniuses...or even that motivated. I guess that medical school and residency is very challenging, so many doctors figure that after they complete that, it is time to take it nice and easy. It is sad, because there ARE some doctors that give 100%, and it must really weigh on their morale to see doctors all around them that barely try...and still collect $250k a year for their "services."

Do you know what they call someone who barely passed medical school?

They call them "Doctor"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread