Wicking life

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
depends on if im using TC or power, single or dual coils, and which juice. i get anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks, and anywhere from 7ml to 30ml.

higher power dual coils with a dark/sweet juice might get a day and 7-10ml, TC single coil with a light/not so sweet juice, 2 weeks and 30ml.

sweeteners and dark colored juices will generally gunk up coils and caramelize in the wicks causing them to burn. higher wattage and low resistances will accelerate this process due to the higher heat outputs. finding a balance for you will take some time, i still LOVE my dark sweet custards on a .25 dual coil at 50 watts, but the wicks will last me about 1 fill of my squonker bottle before i get burnt flavor from the wicks.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I use KJD Cotton and vaping Temp Control .52Ω 22W @ 480º. I replace my cotton every 2 or 3 days. My juice is DIY and made with creams and sweeteners so it is a real coil gunker. I'm not concerned about the cotton as I am still using from the same bag I bought 2 years ago.
Jerry

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
The better question is probably how many ml of juice does it last, a day for me might be a week for someone else as far as actual use.
This.
I go through a lot of juice, have to rewick 2 days sometimes. Sometimes I can go 4, also depends on the juice.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
With cotton, I gunk up fairly quickly within a few days. Rayon gives me much longer wick life, although I do understand that not everyone likes to use it....

It truly will depend on how much "gunk" factors your juice has and how much you vape it. Same as drop in coils, it's really not "life in days" but how MUCH and at what HEAT you are vaping juice through it.

What kind of coil life are you getting now and are you trying to extend it or just get a general sense or what?

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
There are so many variables as to how long the wick will last. Variables include the resistance and wattage of the coils, the quality of the tank, The proper wicking method, The environment that it is vaped with, and the juice you use. I seem to have settled on the Goblin series of atomizers. I vape around .7 ohms dual coil, and a good/perfect build I go through about 100ml of juice... which is about a week for me. I am not a cloud chaser. I use a high VG ejuice, and it wicks better during the warm seasons, so I get a bit more wick life during the summer, than winter, since VG does not like cold weather as much. :)

With "gunky" juice, there can be some residue left, so you will be changing the cotton more often. Also, you will go through more cotton if you are out for huge clouds. Ease of cotton changing and wicking method is a major factor when deciding on a tank. I replace the coils about once a month.. sometimes 2.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Fairly bland question, how long do you guys expect your wicks to last with an rda and Japanese cotton?
Great question. I use deep well RDA's single coil @ 6-7 watts. I flavor chase, so I change the rayon wick every first vape (It takes about 2 minutes - dry burn the coil +thermal shock). I will let the wick go for 2 vape sessions in the middle of the day. Nothing beats the taste of a clean RDA e liquid saturated wick first thing in the morning.

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
I vape unflavoured DIY juice, dual coil in an RTA @ 130 celsius(that is what the el cheapo mod reports, no idea what the actual tempurature is!)

Wicks and coils last months.
The juice never darkens, and when I take the lid off the wick is bright and clean and the stainless coils are shiny with a hint of blueing.

Every month I chuck my atty in a pan, and (I've said it before) I boil my gubbins'!

I am as far from a cloud chaser as can be I suppose and that certainly helps. After all building new coils and rewicking is a pain I can do without.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread