Status
Not open for further replies.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I'm tired of burnt wick taste. So I was thinking about making an atty that is inside a silicone tube, or maybe a glass tube. The tube will split in to two tubes at the bottom. One will be the air supply the other will go to a reservoir of e liquid. Will the suction draw fluid through when taking a drag, or will I just be sucking air?

Another Idea. I use 510 attys, just so who ever reads this knows. I was thinking about a reverse genesis. Make a 400 mesh SS wick that goes down to the bottom of the ceramic piece where it gets wrapped in the nichrome wire. While the other end of the SS mesh goes up towards the mouthpiece. Then take a cartridge remove the poly fill and perform the zero filler mod with slight alterations to allow the SS mesh to go into the cart.

I've been racking my brain to come up with something that will be better than typical attys or cartos. I'd love to make a genesis but I don't have a lathe or an original to cast and replicate. I'm trying to find a local machine shop I can make one with but that will probably later than sooner.

Thanks for reading. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
So I did an experiment tonight. Because I have yet to find AISI 316 SS mesh like raidy recommends I decided to to some experimenting with a SS pipe screen. I took a carto I had been using that had gotten a bit burnt up and soaked it in hot water to get the shell off without damaging it. Once I got that off I took the whole thing apart removed all the components and was left with just the five ten connector with a longer than average tube in the middle. I turned the round screen into an oval so the mesh would be closer together because it was not anything close to a 400 mesh(probably what ever mesh is in your faucet), then rolled it and oxidized it so as to keep the current from jumping and just making a short. I wrapped the nichrome wire around the screen low with tight winds leaving half the screen without nichrome on it. Then I pushed the screen into the tube of the positive terminal with just a bit of the nichrome going below the top of the terminal so as to not have to solder the positive connection. Then I took a bit of the original wire and removed the casing so I didn't have to worry about it melting. This was just an experiment really so I just twisted the end of the nichrome to the original wire and held it to the negative terminal. I dropped some e liquid I didn't particularly like onto it and fired it up and it worked. I tested it with my multimeter to be about 1.7 ohms. The next step would be to adapt a cartridge so it works as a miniature genesis. I was hesitant to try inhaling the vapor. So I just blew on the mesh while under load and it made a large cloud. I smelled some dry atomizer smell though, I am not sure if this was because there was not enough e liquid to keep the coil fully soaked but it seems to work pretty well. This was relatively easy to do and there is really no fabrication. So if this works anything like a genesis, it could be much easier for the average mod smith to make. I really want to make a genesis but it's a good deal of work seemingly. If anyone is interested I can take some pictures and post this experiment. Then maybe I could get some help with improvements or recommendations. Also if anyone knows where to find 1.4401 (X5CrNiMo17-12-2) AISI 316 stainless steel mesh that would be awesome. That is what raidy recommended, he also said 306 is great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread