The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Winter Blues

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Enso, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Enso

Enso Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2017
    Vermont, USA
    Greetings,

Just found ECF this week, I wish I had discovered it about three weeks ago, might have saved me some exploratory capital, haha.
    I was a smoker for about 22 years, last 5 have been RYO, about 7 a day +\-. I purchased an e cig three weeks ago and haven't had an "analog" since.
    I love not stinking like cigarettes anymore, and I have mostly really liked vaping. Still searching for that go to liquid.

A quick question, has anyone else experienced depression and/or general crankiness after quiting the smokes and switching to "digital"? I don't use drugs prescribed or otherwise (except nicotine and caffeine) but my mood has generally been in the crapper. Maybe it's just the winter blues.
    Has anyone else experienced this or any other side effects of making the switch?

• Like Like x 2
  2. djsvapour

djsvapour ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    "Exploratory capital"?

I like it! :)

Welcome to ECF.

Yes... many people suffer quite noticeable mood issues when quitting smoking*. I also avoided the use the prescription drugs to get me over the hurdle.

*Replacing (some of) the Nicotine isn't the full story.

I did RYO for about a decade before discovering the market-leading cig-a-like.
    $800 later and I was ready for the asylum.

ECF saved my life, as no amount of money on that atrocious junk would have given me enough Nicotine.

However, a refillable e-cig that costs $300 a year not $3,000 a year did put me on the right path.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BackDoc

BackDoc Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    Allot going on in your body's physiology Enso, there are many components of tobacco combustion that your body chemistry has been adapted to.....Give it time, don't try to drop the nicotine too fast, and hang in there....And welcome to ECF!

• Like Like x 4
  4. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Funny I see this thread because I just took this picture of me vaping on the back porch to ward off the blues!
    upload_2017-1-31_16-14-56.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined. I become irritable when I perceive i'm losing control of a situation.You are just starting vaping and might be experience similar concerns. Hang in there, let vaping demonstrate to you it's benefits.
    Might like to read:
    A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

• Like Like x 1
  6. Enso

Jan 31, 2017
    Vermont, USA
    So far so good, zero desire to go back. As far as the mood stuff, it probably doesn't help any that I'm getting minimal sleep due to a teething infant, haha. The chemical change plus the sleep deprivation have thrown me out of balance, but I know this will all pass. Thanks for the support! I'm going to check out that article now:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. dagomez99

dagomez99 Full Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Colombia
    Congrats!
    You don't even know the benefits of quitting smoking when you're around small children, even if you smoked outside the house the particles that stick to your clothing can cause allergies and whatnot, so :toast: cheers to the best decision ever.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Enso

Jan 31, 2017
    Vermont, USA
    Thank you. Yup, I was aware to some extent. I always smoked outside and then washed my hands when I came in... sometimes I'd brush my teeth and wash my face too. But the smell still lingered. I think it was the realization that I wouldn't stink around my kids that made me want to try digital. My wife says my mood is unbearable when I (try to) quit cold turkey. Plus she smokes so it's really hard to keep up the will power. This seems like a good compromise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.