Winter - 'tis the season to be vaping old style???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Winter in Auld Scotia - the weather is dreich and cold, the days are short, the nights are long, Spring is a long way away … and for some reason I always find myself at this time of the year back with a preference for older technology and simpler things such as my Telecaster Guitar ( Leo Fender’s first design back in 1950 and still going strong ) my quartz Rotary watch ( from the 1980s ) and a mech mod with the same tank every day.

Is it just me, is it me age guv or does anyone else find anything similar?

Whatever - happy vaping!

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Weather and short days with the subsequent lack of sunlight affect a lot of people. I get it, but I have always been immune to it. It just doesn't affect me at all. My wife on the other hand is the complete opposite!

Happy vaping back at ya :cool:

I've known people who suffered badly from SAD and became virtual recluses over the winter - some even suffered from Clinical Depression but thankfully I don't get that.

We usually do travelling in the winter if we are back in Scotland, despite the difficulties of travel, as we are both interested in history and ancestor research ... but I do find myself with this notion for simpler basic stuff - it does puzzle me a bit.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I must have done something
Pico mini 75w mod and old school Kangertech Subtank2 with 1.5ohm coil, fired at 18.8watts. Curling up with it in the cold winter months is bliss. This is tootle puffers dream.

You're firing it a a daring 18.8 watts - OMG I'm old style, at 8 -10 watts! Well done you!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My habits change in the winter too, not out of nostalgia, but for practical reasons. I have always had to tighten the purse strings in winter because the bills are so high, between heating and lights and laundering several layers of clothing. Plus the holidays and property tax and insurance...

It’s not as necessary now, but it’s too ingrained to fight.

It’s unpleasant to go out in the cold shopping, so I read the books I didn’t get to yet, knit or crochet the yarn I got last summer, try to eat whatever is on hand, and vape up all the little test runs of juice that clutter the vape cubby. Since I’m inside it’s convenient to use a rda and use all the 5-10 ml bottles.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Nothing wrong with the old gear. KFL, Lemo and STM for me. None of those are still being made. I have a bag of Solos but for some reason I've been using mostly Provaris and Silver Bullets lately. Probably start using the Solos more when they go out of production.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Nothing wrong with the old gear. KFL, Lemo and STM for me. None of those are still being made. I have a bag of Solos but for some reason I've been using mostly Provaris and Silver Bullets lately. Probably start using the Solos more when they go out of production.

You are a better man than me getting your Lemo to work - whatever I did with mine back a few years it flooded gurgled and eventually dropped all its liquid no matter how hard I tightened it up, checked the O rings and plug and no matter how I wicked it!

I did keep that long narrow mouthpiece however - it gives a great draw ... on my Mulus!

Last edited:

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I don't get particularly nostalgic, but I've been buying mech mods and attys from a few years back. Good stuff. Really love my CV1 Virtus mod, which I have paired with a NarTa clone currently. Use my Provari Ti/P3 Kabuki setup every day, usually in the morning when I want something really cool and mellow. My mobile setup is a VCO mod with an In'Sane clone RDTA.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
dunno, it was 37c in my backyard today. I was using a pod.

I build tube guitar amps based on 50's designs for a hobby, the only mass produced amp I own is a hand wired fender.
But, as much as I love that stuff I also enjoy digital modeling gear and just as often use it. My guitars range from birth year strat and 335 through to a 2016 MIJ semi. The 2016 MIJ semi gets the lion share of play time. For me its the one I relate to the most.
No real seasonal drift for me, I like all the stuff old and new.
Hell, I got a Holden utility that has manual 3 speed column shift from the 70's. As cool as it is, its horrible, I love it.
Actually starting raining here for the first time in ages and only managed 28°C

So many musos use this forum. My favourite amp is my beloved 1959 Fender tweed Bassman. Recovered unfortunately but used all the time at the studio I run. Also have a 1964 copper top ac30 and a 1963 Princeton - probably the sweetest tube tremolo ever.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I hadn’t thought about this until you brought it up! :) I have been vaping the heck out of a 1.4 ohm KayFun 2019 (not an “old” tank, I know) with a rotation of tobaccos more lately than ever. It’s kind of reassuring to know I still enjoy simple builds, simple setups. Granted, I have enough subohm equipment for the rest of my days, but lately I’ve been getting a lot of comfort from MTL on a higher build. :)

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Yes I have quite a lot of regulated mods in my collection but this time of year does seem to bring out the notion for simpler things somehow - I remember writing about mech mods last year and saying that you almost develop a relationship with the things as you get attuned to how it's vaping and what state the battery is in.

The 'uman mind is indeed a funny ould thing!

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I don't get particularly nostalgic, but I've been buying mech mods and attys from a few years back. Good stuff. Really love my CV1 Virtus mod, which I have paired with a NarTa clone currently. Use my Provari Ti/P3 Kabuki setup every day, usually in the morning when I want something really cool and mellow. My mobile setup is a VCO mod with an In'Sane clone RDTA.
Nostalgic.
I couldve just posted, "nah, no nostalgia here"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread