Wire/coil gauge efficiency testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I'm building a bunch of art coils to try and find one that works well enough to test.

So far
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Both are too hot with too little vapor.

I'll probably end up testing another fused Clapton.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Try a braid of 3 wires just like you would weave a pony-tail in either 32g or 28g, its been a while since i've made one so i can't recommend which one will be best at your set 66w, you can put a lot of power through the 32g version so don't write if off until you try it, and don't make the weave to tight, the idea is to spread the braid out over as much wick as possible so if you go pulling on both ends of the braid at the same time after you've weaved it you will tighten it all up closing the gaps youve made making it a thinner wire, heres a pic to show you the braid, you will have to imagine it without the parallel wire i have in between the wraps of braid
found another build

Another one you could try is a diamond coil,same again you'll have to experiment yourself with dif gauges to find the right one for your 66w, heres a pic

You could also try some Mundys magic wire

Come to think of it a fishtail braid will work really well at your 66w in either 32 or 34g 5loop braid

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Ive only just realized that your using 4mm id for your tests, i almost always use 2.5id and for that reason i'm not sure how they will perform, probably soppy but thats my thoughts on any build over 2.5id, wet and lacking, i like to pretty much vaporize the juice inside the coil within one or two pulls(1second pulls). I always get great flavour and clouds, even using say 5wrap dual parallel 26g at 2.5id on mechs.

Each to their own :D

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Try a braid of 3 wires just like you would weave a pony-tail in either 32g or 28g, its been a while since i've made one so i can't recommend which one will be best at your set 66w, you can put a lot of power through the 32g version so don't write if off until you try it, and don't make the weave to tight, the idea is to spread the braid out over as much wick as possible so if you go pulling on both ends of the braid at the same time after you've weaved it you will tighten it all up closing the gaps youve made making it a thinner wire, heres a pic to show you the braid, you will have to imagine it without the parallel wire i have in between the wraps of braid
found another build

Another one you could try is a diamond coil,same again you'll have to experiment yourself with dif gauges to find the right one for your 66w, heres a pic

You could also try some Mundys magic wire

Come to think of it a fishtail braid will work really well at your 66w in either 32 or 34g 5loop braid

Ive only just realized that your using 4mm id for your tests, i almost always use 2.5id and for that reason i'm not sure how they will perform, probably soppy but thats my thoughts on any build over 2.5id, wet and lacking, i like to pretty much vaporize the juice inside the coil within one or two pulls(1second pulls). I always get great flavour and clouds, even using say 5wrap dual parallel 26g at 2.5id on mechs.

Thank you. I'm quite familiar with all these coils. :)

Here is a 6 wire 32ga vertebraid I was messing around with.
image.jpeg

It's good to know most of these coils only work for very short puffs. That explains a lot that I was missing.

I'll post back later with what I decide on.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY

These aren't really my preferred coil sizes. This test started as a sort if challenge I gave myself. I don't vape high VG juice and was wondering about why people use Claptons with it. I've heard for years that Claptons produce more vapor than a simple wire build. Being a physicist this makes no sense. But I thought maybe, somehow, with high vg juice they do. So I watched several reviewers who regularly use this type of setup and came up with a set of test parameters and controls. Sets of three 4 second puffs at 66W was a good middle ground and allows me to compare a wide range of coils.

The only thing that changes is the coil mass. Wattage, puff time, area covered, amount of juice, atty, all stay the same.

If a coil requires more than 66W to come up to temp or less than 4 second puffs they are too far outside testing parameters to include. That said, the trend in the chart will apply to any build.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
So claptons are hotter and produce less vapor than parallels?
Claptons produce a warmer vape but evaporate less juice than a parallel build of the same width using the same core wire or smaller. The smaller the wire in parallel (dual,triple,quad to hit the resistance) the more juice is evaporated but less hot air is produced at a set wattage.

Fused Claptons are a bit more effiecient than single core Claptons.

The diference in effiency goes up considerably with more watts produced. A round quad 30ga at 66W evaporates 0.045ml/4 second puff and a round 26ga 0.0316mL/4sec puff but at 150W the quad 30ga is at .227mL/4 sec puff while the 26ga only goes up to 0.068mL/4 sec puff.

I genuinely thought the difference would be greater at lower wattages.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I respect your testing, but that doesn't seem to correlate with my personal experience. Was there a reason you went with 4mm ID, that's huge compared to what most people use. I find anything above 2.5mm wicks less efficiently.
I went with huge coils to exaggerate any differences between the coils. I expected the differences to be very slight. I was wrong.

I've done sample tests (30ga and 26ga) to see if the trend held with smaller coils (3mm ID X 4mm in my Serpent Mini) and it does. The diference was even greater.

I've been working on this for over a month now. The results were so against the common understanding I had to make sure the test was sound.

It is repeatable and others have tried builds based on this and agreed. Try it yourself. Side by side is best. Both builds same dimensions (ID and Width), one (for example) with a 26/32 Clapton and one just 26ga or smaller for a more exaggerated result. Hit both with the same amount of power.

I have found with bakery flavors a warmer less effiecient build is better for flavor. For fruit the opposite.

I have used rayon for all the tests to make sure the coils stayed fed. After this I never want to taste drying out rayon again :)

image.jpeg

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Definitely not worth the effort to make.

Have you tried the same braid but with a single strand of 32g instead of the 2strands?
Did you also stick to your 4mm id?

Do you not think that 2.5id is more the average?

Maybe the thing to do is hold a poll on coil id and power and then build accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread