Reactions: MacTechVpr

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
drag_coefficients.jpg

Smaller Cd is better
Starting to understand the Radiator I see. :)

Most people around here see the 'drag coefficient' and go blank :blink:

I just say it's a lower drag shape or more aerodynamic.

Trying to find a way to translate technical speek into something the average vaper can understand can be a challenge.

In my kayfun v5
image.jpeg

Has the surface area of a 4mm ID round coil but the Cd of ~2mm coil.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Templar1191

Jun 21, 2016
If we want to get technical, we need to do it properly here. Remember that study saying that e-cigs had more toxins than highly polluted air in hong kong? That was bad science(based around comparing a aerosol to a liquid), and it was cancerous/slanderous :lol:

Those shapes were reference to your suggestion about an oval coil.
The radiator coil carries current through all the wires... it possesses a larger surface area, similar to a clapton. However, the wind wires on a clapton do not carry all the current, or most of the current. They act simply as heat transfer mediums and to increase coil surface area, and improve wetting of the coil due to wetting of tight spaces.

Your radiator coil will have more drag than a clapton of the same size. However, the stagnant boundary layer of air and vapour around it will be thinner. Ever wonder why golf balls have dimples? The dimples produce lower drag by producing a thicker boundary layer.

"First, the dimples on the surface of a golf ball cause the boundary layer on the upstream side of the ball to transition from laminar to turbulent. The turbulent boundary layer is able to remain attached to the surface of the ball much longer than a laminar boundary and so creates a narrower low-pressure wake and hence less pressure drag. The reduction in pressure drag causes the ball to travel farther."

I have to read that a few times to get it, but its there for information anyway.
I havent yet had the privilege of making a radiator, but I am looking forward to tryin it when I get round to it. The real question is, does the radiator produce better flavour than a clapton and keep your wick cleaner for longer, or is it just placebo :D

But templarrrrr what is a boundary layer? Its a film around an object in a fluid.
Go get some hand soap and rub it all over your hands. Thats a film. Ever wonder why it doesnt wash off immediately? Because that film is a region of stagnant fluid even under the tap, thus it takes longer to wash away.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
If we want to get technical, we need to do it properly here. Remember that study saying that e-cigs had more toxins than highly polluted air in hong kong? That was bad science(based around comparing a aerosol to a liquid), and it was cancerous/slanderous :lol:

Those shapes were reference to your suggestion about an oval coil.
The radiator coil carries current through all the wires... it possesses a larger surface area, similar to a clapton. However, the wind wires on a clapton do not carry all the current, or most of the current. They act simply as heat transfer mediums and to increase coil surface area, and improve wetting of the coil due to wetting of tight spaces.

Your radiator coil will have more drag than a clapton of the same size. However, the stagnant boundary layer of air and vapour around it will be thinner. Ever wonder why golf balls have dimples? The dimples produce lower drag by producing a thicker boundary layer.

"First, the dimples on the surface of a golf ball cause the boundary layer on the upstream side of the ball to transition from laminar to turbulent. The turbulent boundary layer is able to remain attached to the surface of the ball much longer than a laminar boundary and so creates a narrower low-pressure wake and hence less pressure drag. The reduction in pressure drag causes the ball to travel farther."

The radiator shape has a lower Cd than a round coil of equal circumference.

You can make a Clapton Radiator if you want a warmer vape. :)

The dimples on a golf ball are there to increase lift of a back spinning sphere, not lower drag. If dimples decreased drag cars and airplanes would have dimples.

I have to read that a few times to get it, but its there for information anyway.
I havent yet had the privilege of making a radiator, but I am looking forward to tryin it when I get round to it. The real question is, does the radiator produce better flavour than a clapton and keep your wick cleaner for longer, or is it just placebo :D

But templarrrrr what is a boundary layer? Its a film around an object in a fluid.
Go get some hand soap and rub it all over your hands. Thats a film. Ever wonder why it doesnt wash off immediately? Because that film is a region of stagnant fluid even under the tap, thus it takes longer to wash away.

The radiator shape is just a way to fit more wire in a fixed space and keep the airflow relatively unimpeded.

Some juices gunk coils faster than others. The more juice a coil evaporates the faster it will gunk.

A air boundary layer isn't a film, it's a thin transition layer of eddy currents between a object and the free flowing air.

Why does soap not wash off right away??? Viscosity and thus surface tension.

You said you wanted to be specific :D

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Its good to see another Parallel coil lover. That radiator styled coils looks interesting. What are you using to wrap it on? Just 2 drill bits?
People have used drill bits held in vice grips.
Any type of wire can be used. Parallel wires, Claptons, whatever. Radiator just refers to the shape.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Starting to understand the Radiator I see. :)

Most people around here see the 'drag coefficient' and go blank :blink:

I just say it's a lower drag shape or more aerodynamic.

Trying to find a way to translate technical speek into something the average vaper can understand can be a challenge.

In my kayfun v5
View attachment 592657

Has the surface area of a 4mm ID round coil but the Cd of ~2mm coil.

View attachment 592659

Out of curio B, what do you wind you're radiator on? And, how do you (simply) ascertain it's internal i.d.? Been a few moons since I aced geometry.

Have a great day and good luck. :)

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Boden has taken over the government!
Why would I do that? The sheeple pay attention to the puppets in Washington while my secret cobal of super nerds and aliens get on with the important stuff.

Btw, the meeting is on Friday.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Why would I do that? The sheeple pay attention to the puppets in Washington while my secret cobal of super neards and aliens get on with the important stuff.

Btw, the meeting is on Friday.
Can't make it this week.
Cover for me.

btw at least one of our artificial politicians seems to be unstable. Have the core software checked.

Reactions: Boden

Runamok3x

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
New Paltz, NY, USA
Nice work Boden
Any way to test an oblong radiator?
I did this one real quick 26ga parallel 2 mm on one side and 3 mm on the other
You should use sizes that are consistent with your testing.
Seems like an oblong would give better airflow at a slightly lower resistance with almost the same surface area
image.jpg

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Nice work Boden
Any way to test an oblong radiator?
I did this one real quick 26ga parallel 2 mm on one side and 3 mm on the other
You should use sizes that are consistent with your testing.
Seems like an oblong would give better airflow at a slightly lower resistance with almost the same surface area
View attachment 598955
I tested oblong coils, the shape causes a larger area of turbulent flow above the coil than a oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread