Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Courtney saundersNew Member
So I want to buy a squonk mod plus rda.
It doesn't allow you to change wattage, so I need to know what wire gauge I need for this specific ohm, the ohm is 0.26 so what wire gauge would I need ?

There's more involved in building for a battery than just ohms...

What kind of wire will you be using?

Are you planning on fancy builds or are you doing single round or flat wire?

Is the mechanical mod an 18650 or a 21700?

What's the battery capacity?

I assume your trying to recreate the vape you like on a regulated mod, but there's far more to know to build for a battery...

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
This page has a very good "calculator" for these kind of calculations. The ohms depends not only on the wire size, but the number of wraps, the diameter of the coil, the material, and the number of coils in the RDA. There is more than one way to get to a target resistance.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
This page has a very good "calculator" for these kind of calculations. The ohms depends not only on the wire size, but the number of wraps, the diameter of the coil, the material, and the number of coils in the RDA. There is more than one way to get to a target resistance.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
This is what I need help with. It's not for me, I am trying to surprise my husband for his birthday, he keeps talking about these things and to be honest, I don't know what I'm doing

Attachments

• received_1191263784667187.jpeg
    received_1191263784667187.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 39

Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
What does he use now (what device)? Is it a "squonk"? RDA or tank? Once we get more info, many helpful people here to guide you through this. Where are you located (no need to be specific... just a general idea)?

Right now he uses a cerubis tank (I think that's how that's spelled) and a nord2, he uses the disposable tanks on the mod. But he is just so into these squonk things. And we live in west virginia. But I literally can't find anything anywhere so yeah any help would be so appreciated

• Love
Reactions: charlie1465

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
The kit comes with a coil made of fused clapton wire and is 0.26 Ohm. So if you are buying him wire, he must make his own coils and he must know about how to build to a specific resistance (measured in ohms). 0.26 Ohms is a good choice for a single battery 18650 mechanical mod. But it wouldn't hurt a thing if he would make a coil that is 0.30 Ohms. Going lower than that requires more care.

With things being the way they are, with the vape mail ban and all that, he should be very pleased to receive fused clapton wire regardless of the size - if you can find it.

That build deck looks like it has a decent amount of space, He could probably use 26Gx2/36G or 28Gx2/40G fused clapton wire. Then he can figure the number of wraps, etc.

• Agree

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It's not for me, I am trying to surprise my husband for his birthday, he keeps talking about these things and to be honest, I don't know what I'm doing

Then don't worry about the wire. If he knows what he's doing let him get the proper wire and proper batteries for it. If he's vaping that low ohms on a mechanical mod, he definitely needs to know what he's doing, especially in terms of what batteries to get.

But of you really want to buy the wire and the batteries, maybe buy him a spool of 24 gauge 316L Stainless Steel Wire.

As far as batteries, DO NOT buy any batteries from Fasttech. Buy from a reputable source. I am going to assume you are in the USA. Buy him a couple of Molicel P25a batteries or Samsung 20S batteries. Those links are to a reputable source that happens to have both in stock right now. I'm recommending those batteries becuase of their high amp rating and they are reputable batteries. Very important.

Last edited:

Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
    The kit comes with a coil made of fused clapton wire and is 0.26 Ohm. So if you are buying him wire, he must make his own coils and he must know about how to build to a specific resistance (measured in ohms). 0.26 Ohms is a good choice for a single battery 18650 mechanical mod. But it wouldn't hurt a thing if he would make a coil that is 0.30 Ohms. Going lower than that requires more care.

With things being the way they are, with the vape mail ban and all that, he should be very pleased to receive fused clapton wire regardless of the size - if you can find it.

That build deck looks like it has a decent amount of space, He could probably use 26Gx2/36G or 28Gx2/40G fused clapton wire. Then he can figure the number of wraps, etc.

You say ban, do you know of fasttech is still sending stuff out ? If so I'll be placing my order now

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    You say ban, do you know of fasttech is still sending stuff out ? If so I'll be placing my order now

Yes, FT is still shipping, but they are very slow. I recommend paying the extra $4.95 and upgrading your shipping service. Also tracking isn't reliable. One of my packages never tracked at all, but it showed up after about 5 weeks. The other two packages have been over six weeks and still haven't arrived, but I didn't upgrade their shipping.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    To clarify what they mean by shipping upgrade, choose "USPS Expedited Service" It goes via DHL but is delivered by USPS. Fasttech will only give you the USPS tracking which will only show tracking once it gets here. But if you want tracking in china, tag me in this thread and I'll tell you how to get the china tracking # an dhow to track it.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    To clarify what they mean by shipping upgrade, choose "USPS Expedited Service" It goes via DHL but is delivered by USPS. Fasttech will only give you the USPS tracking which will only show tracking once it gets here. But if you want tracking in china, tag me in this thread and I'll tell you how to get the china tracking # an dhow to track it.

It doesn't even show tracking once it gets here! Mine went from "awaiting on package arrival" to "delivered" after I received it. I had checked it an hour or so before it arrived.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It doesn't even show tracking once it gets here! Mine went from "awaiting on package arrival" to "delivered" after I received it. I had checked it an hour or so before it arrived.

I think that was an anomaly. At least I hope so. Mine have always showed tracking as soon as it is released from US customs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread