The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wire gauge?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Courtney saunders, May 2, 2021.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Courtney saunders

Courtney saunders Full Member

May 2, 2021
    So I want to buy a squonk mod plus rda.
    It doesn't allow you to change wattage, so I need to know what wire gauge I need for this specific ohm, the ohm is 0.26 so what wire gauge would I need ?

2. Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
    Courtney saundersNew Member
    So I want to buy a squonk mod plus rda.
    It doesn't allow you to change wattage, so I need to know what wire gauge I need for this specific ohm, the ohm is 0.26 so what wire gauge would I need ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Super Member ECF Veteran

Can you provide the manufacturer and name of this setup? Even better, can you provide a link to a page that describes this unit?

4. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    There's more involved in building for a battery than just ohms...

What kind of wire will you be using?

Are you planning on fancy builds or are you doing single round or flat wire?

Is the mechanical mod an 18650 or a 21700?

What's the battery capacity?

I assume your trying to recreate the vape you like on a regulated mod, but there's far more to know to build for a battery...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ed Brown

This page has a very good "calculator" for these kind of calculations. The ohms depends not only on the wire size, but the number of wraps, the diameter of the coil, the material, and the number of coils in the RDA. There is more than one way to get to a target resistance.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
    This is what I need help with. It's not for me, I am trying to surprise my husband for his birthday, he keeps talking about these things and to be honest, I don't know what I'm doing

Attached Files:

7. vaper1960

vaper1960 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    What does he use now (what device)? Is it a "squonk"? RDA or tank? Once we get more info, many helpful people here to guide you through this. Where are you located (no need to be specific... just a general idea)?

8. Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
    Right now he uses a cerubis tank (I think that's how that's spelled) and a nord2, he uses the disposable tanks on the mod. But he is just so into these squonk things. And we live in west virginia. But I literally can't find anything anywhere so yeah any help would be so appreciated

• Love Love x 1
  9. Ed Brown

The kit comes with a coil made of fused clapton wire and is 0.26 Ohm. So if you are buying him wire, he must make his own coils and he must know about how to build to a specific resistance (measured in ohms). 0.26 Ohms is a good choice for a single battery 18650 mechanical mod. But it wouldn't hurt a thing if he would make a coil that is 0.30 Ohms. Going lower than that requires more care.

With things being the way they are, with the vape mail ban and all that, he should be very pleased to receive fused clapton wire regardless of the size - if you can find it.

That build deck looks like it has a decent amount of space, He could probably use 26Gx2/36G or 28Gx2/40G fused clapton wire. Then he can figure the number of wraps, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ed Brown

By the way, that's a nice looking kit. Good choice for a gift! If he needs any help in designing the coils, using a mechanical mod, etc., send him to the e-cigarette forum. We'll play dumb and not tell him that we helped you.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Then don't worry about the wire. If he knows what he's doing let him get the proper wire and proper batteries for it. If he's vaping that low ohms on a mechanical mod, he definitely needs to know what he's doing, especially in terms of what batteries to get.

But of you really want to buy the wire and the batteries, maybe buy him a spool of 24 gauge 316L Stainless Steel Wire.

As far as batteries, DO NOT buy any batteries from Fasttech. Buy from a reputable source. I am going to assume you are in the USA. Buy him a couple of Molicel P25a batteries or Samsung 20S batteries. Those links are to a reputable source that happens to have both in stock right now. I'm recommending those batteries becuase of their high amp rating and they are reputable batteries. Very important.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Territoo

Territoo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, she's in the USA. She's from west Virginia, a very pretty state.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Courtney saunders

May 2, 2021
    You say ban, do you know of fasttech is still sending stuff out ? If so I'll be placing my order now

• Like Like x 1
  14. Territoo

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, FT is still shipping, but they are very slow. I recommend paying the extra $4.95 and upgrading your shipping service. Also tracking isn't reliable. One of my packages never tracked at all, but it showed up after about 5 weeks. The other two packages have been over six weeks and still haven't arrived, but I didn't upgrade their shipping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Ed Brown

I don't know. Amazon still has some for household use, electronics projects, etc. I'm going to be re-wiring a space heater in the near future.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Yes they are... you can buy the mod.. just spend 5 dollars for the shipping upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. UncleJunkle

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    To clarify what they mean by shipping upgrade, choose "USPS Expedited Service" It goes via DHL but is delivered by USPS. Fasttech will only give you the USPS tracking which will only show tracking once it gets here. But if you want tracking in china, tag me in this thread and I'll tell you how to get the china tracking # an dhow to track it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. Territoo

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    It doesn't even show tracking once it gets here! Mine went from "awaiting on package arrival" to "delivered" after I received it. I had checked it an hour or so before it arrived.

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. Territoo

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
  20. UncleJunkle

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    I think that was an anomaly. At least I hope so. Mine have always showed tracking as soon as it is released from US customs.

• Useful Useful x 2