Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Has anyone else experienced mood changes, nervousness, irritability, etc after switching from smoking to vaping? A couple of weeks into vaping, I had a mood swing and was very angry and cranky for about 24 hours. If its not nicotine withdrawl since I'm getting as much if not more nic than I did when I was smoking, could it be withdrawl from some of the other chemicals in cigarrettes?

Are the toxins present in cigarrete smoke also present when burning pure tobacco in a pipe for instances? Could many of these toxins be a result of the chemicals used in processing cigs and the 600 Additives that are added, as well as the burning of the paper? Poor little tobacco plant? Has it gotten a bad rap? Native Americans had been smoking it through their mouth and nose for centuries.

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
I absolutely did.. it has since gotten much better but that first month was a zinger..

I was encouraged to look into vaping WTA (whole tobacco alkaoid) juice. And snus..

Apparently there are MAOIs in cigarettes and I'm pretty sure that was what ultimately caused the mood swings..

It did get better for me and i hope the same for you!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Honestly? Nope.
Im 45. Smoker since 13, 2 packks a day since 20.
72 hours after a friend gave me an e cig a stopped cigs entirely.
I have a very high stress lifestyle/job.
Been well over a month.
I miss smoking. I like to smoke. I like living better so i no longer smoke, i vape.
The urge to smoke is still there, but no withdrawls.
Manual 360 apv with top coil clearomizer.
Heaven compared to smoking.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I absolutely did.. it has since gotten much better but that first month was a zinger..

I was encouraged to look into vaping WTA (whole tobacco alkaoid) juice. And snus..

Apparently there are MAOIs in cigarettes and I'm pretty sure that was what ultimately caused the mood swings..

It did get better for me and i hope the same for you!

That explains so much.

Two of the many things that come to mind -

I know when I tried quitting cold turkey I would get mood swings. I had very mild ups and downs when going to vaping but nothing unmanageable. I assumed I was trying to find my sweet spot with nicotine.

I also wondered why anti-depressants were prescribed for quitting.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
For those times I use a WTA juice. Aroma is my vendor I use for that product. Just be careful with WTA. It does contain things that regular eliquid does not. Some of the Alkoloids that our stinkes had in them. Jerry is a great person and will help any and every way he can. And the juice is really good to. P38 is one of my favorites.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
My husband and mother both say I'm calmer now then when I was smoking. I didn't notice any withdrawals myself.

I also don't crave nicotine as much as I did. At work, come break time, you need to clear a path for the smokers, or they will run you over trying to get outside to smoke. The vapers calmly make their way to the break room. The way I understand it we were addicted to cigarettes and dependent on nicotine. The difference is degree, I think.

However, this is my experience, and it may not be the same for everyone. I am sure many here feel the same as the OP and can offer some assistance.

Last edited:

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
It gets better and yes, a lot of what you were experiencing is withdrawals from some of the other chemicals in analogues and your body detoxing. Arsenic really does a number on you. As somebody else pointed out, you're probably not getting as much nic either since the absorption rates are lower. When I switched, I was smoking roughly 2 PAD and started out at 50mg juice. four years later, I'm at 30mg and holding

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Thanks to all for your reassuring replies. I believe people who stop smoking on their own and those who switch to vaping need a common support network.

I was a half/pack a day smoker for like 28 years. I chose 1.8 or 18 mg in my nic juices. The analogs I was smoking apparently had 1.4. So don't know how much my body is absorbing via vaping. Other than that one mood swing, no other real issues.

alopezg1

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Cornwall uk
Different people react differently to stopping smoking I suppose
Whenever I have tried to quit in the past it has always been very traumatic
Emotionally and psychologically . I was actually told by my doc to resume smoking
On my longest attempt with the patches because he was so concerned about the depression
I had sunk into ! They really get under your skin those nasty little .... sticks. With e-cigs
It has been a lot smoother but still it has been challenging; had a really tough day today
With mood swings also. It won't last long I shouldn't think , be patient and kind to yourself

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Different people react differently to stopping smoking I suppose
Whenever I have tried to quit in the past it has always been very traumatic
Emotionally and psychologically . I was actually told by my doc to resume smoking
On my longest attempt with the patches because he was so concerned about the depression
I had sunk into ! They really get under your skin those nasty little .... sticks. With e-cigs
It has been a lot smoother but still it has been challenging; had a really tough day today
With mood swings also. It won't last long I shouldn't think , be patient and kind to yourself

Very well said. !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cann0n

Jul 5, 2013
Keystoned Heights, FL
When I stopped smoking, my mood changed drastically. I feel better and my senses have returned. I breath better too! Even the "I just beat cigarettes" vibe improved my attitude. I immediately became happier the first day I started to turn vaping into a hobby. i've vaped with stick-styles long ago, but it didn't match up to the real thing. Now, I'd rather suck down some clouds than bare the thought of ending up with cancer. The anti-smoking commercials you see used to make me want to light up a cig due to the stress of thinking, "that could be me!". Now, I give a moment of silence to them and a pat on my own back for finally stopping after 9 years, 1.5 to 2 packs a day.

Yes, smoke contains many things. Here is a list of what wood smoke contains (found it on the internet)

carbon monoxide, 66methane, volatile organic compounds (C2-C7), aldehydes: formaldehyde, 72acrolein, propionaldehyde, butyraldehyde, acetaldehyde, furfural; substituted furans, benzene, alkyl benzenes: Otoluene, acetic acid, formic acid; nitrogen oxides (NO, NO2), sulfur dioxide, methyl chloride,naphthalene, substituted naphthalenes, oxygenated monoaromatics: auaiacol (and derivatives), phenol (and derivatives), syringol (and derivatives), catechol (and derivatives); particulate organic carbon, oxygenated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: fluorene, phenanthrene, anthracene, methylanthracenes, fluoranthene, pyrene,benzo(a)anthracene, chrysene, benzofluoranthenes, benzo(e)pyrene, benzo(a)pyrene, perylene, pyrene, benzo(ghi)perylene, coronene, Odibenzo(a,h)pyrene, retene, dibenz(a,h)anthracene; trace elements: Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Sulfur, Chlorine, Potassium, Calcium, Titanium, Vanadium, OChromium, Manganese, Iron, Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Bromine, Lead; particulate elemental carbon, normal alkanes (C24-C30), cyclic di-and triterpenoids, dehydroabietic acid, isopimaric acid, lupenone, friedelin, Ochlorinated dioxins.

Not sure if pure tobacco will have all these or different ones... but if wood has all of these without the chemicals they use and add in cigarettes... couldn't imagine how much ..... you are inhaling. i know that the stuff they put in cigs to make them smolder out is the similar to the stuff they put in flame-......ant carpets and mattresses... As far as pure tobaccy, you will still be getting toxins.

alopezg1

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Cornwall uk
When I stopped smoking, my mood changed drastically. I feel better and my senses have returned. I breath better too! Even the "I just beat cigarettes" vibe improved my attitude. I immediately became happier the first day I started to turn vaping into a hobby. i've vaped with stick-styles long ago, but it didn't match up to the real thing. Now, I'd rather suck down some clouds than bare the thought of ending up with cancer. The anti-smoking commercials you see used to make me want to light up a cig due to the stress of thinking, "that could be me!". Now, I give a moment of silence to them and a pat on my own back for finally stopping after 9 years, 1.5 to 2 packs a day.

Yes, smoke contains many things. Here is a list of what wood smoke contains (found it on the internet)

carbon monoxide, 66methane, volatile organic compounds (C2-C7), aldehydes: formaldehyde, 72acrolein, propionaldehyde, butyraldehyde, acetaldehyde, furfural; substituted furans, benzene, alkyl benzenes: Otoluene, acetic acid, formic acid; nitrogen oxides (NO, NO2), sulfur dioxide, methyl chloride,naphthalene, substituted naphthalenes, oxygenated monoaromatics: auaiacol (and derivatives), phenol (and derivatives), syringol (and derivatives), catechol (and derivatives); particulate organic carbon, oxygenated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: fluorene, phenanthrene, anthracene, methylanthracenes, fluoranthene, pyrene,benzo(a)anthracene, chrysene, benzofluoranthenes, benzo(e)pyrene, benzo(a)pyrene, perylene, pyrene, benzo(ghi)perylene, coronene, Odibenzo(a,h)pyrene, retene, dibenz(a,h)anthracene; trace elements: Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Sulfur, Chlorine, Potassium, Calcium, Titanium, Vanadium, OChromium, Manganese, Iron, Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Bromine, Lead; particulate elemental carbon, normal alkanes (C24-C30), cyclic di-and triterpenoids, dehydroabietic acid, isopimaric acid, lupenone, friedelin, Ochlorinated dioxins.

Not sure if pure tobacco will have all these or different ones... but if wood has all of these without the chemicals they use and add in cigarettes... couldn't imagine how much ..... you are inhaling. i know that the stuff they put in cigs to make them smolder out is the similar to the stuff they put in flame-......ant carpets and mattresses... As far as pure tobaccy, you will still be getting toxins.

I think most of the chemicals in tobacco smoke are given off naturally as a result of combustion
smoke in general is ver bad for you.... hence the coughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread