Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Okay, so as we all wait (im)patiently for the woodvil sale on the 28th (... at 7:00 pm EST, but who's counting?), I have a question for all you Reonauts either already in possession of one or planning to get one.

What's the attraction for you?

Don't get me wrong (text lacks tone, despite the italics) - I'm a fellow convert. Reos are absolutely sublime and I love the 2 I have (grand and mini 2.1).

That said, there seems to be a special place in the Reo congoscente's collective heart for the woodvil.

Is is due to the exclusivity? The unique build materials? Particular performance features? Something else?

I'm drawn to it myself, and I have my own reasons for it, but I'm curious as to what all of you feel for it. Maybe a discussion of it's appeal will help pass the time until the upcoming sale.

Apologies at the outset if this has been thoroughly dissected before.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
The Reo Grands are exceptional tools. The Woodvil is an exceptional functioning piece of art.

Also as someone who's done a bit of woodworking and owns, drill press, table saw, planner, band saw, jointer, multiple routers and a router table I truly appreciate the high level of skill and perfection with which Rob executes the build of these. My wife asked why don't you just make your own. I answered " Because there is no way I could do it any better and would spent countless hours in the hopes of even getting close!".

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think the "one of a kind" thing is a big appeal point, but they also feel so good to hold. In the dead of summer, my REO Grand is a block of hot metal! In the winter, it can be a block of ice. The Woodvils are ALWAYS comfortable.....and beautiful. They actually hit a little harder than the all-mechanicals, too....there's that. That's not AS important as it used to be before rebuildable attys, but there used to be a noticeable difference.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
It's hard to explain what makes a woodvil so special. Looks are a big attraction. Exclusivity is another. I could list things like how it feels in hand, how well it vapes, the wizardry and craftsmanship that goes into em, how robust they are too.

But until you unwrap it and see it in person and really get to experience it first hand, someone just won't fully understand.

They are a must have for any serious vaper IMO. :)

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It's hard to explain what makes a woodvil so special. Looks are a big attraction. Exclusivity is another. I could list things like how it feels in hand, how well it vapes, the wizardry and craftsmanship that goes into em, how robust they are too.

But until you unwrap it and see it in person and really get to experience it first hand, someone just won't fully understand.

They are a must have for any serious vaper IMO. :)

Good answer. :)

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I was very reluctant to buy my first wood REO. I had only been in the REO forum for a few weeks and using my Grand.

I read the lounge thread and everyone was so excited to have a run of woods. On sale night I looked. Yes, they were beautiful. But seemed really big. I didn't know if a woman could really hold one well and it feel comfortable. I asked in the lounge. One lady said it would be fine. Most just said "do it"!

Ordered my Purpleheart/Bocote. When it got home I took one look and fell in love. It just fit my hand. My finger wrapped right around the button. The wood quickly took on the warmth of my hand and we became as one.

I was amazed at the way the door fit perfect. The rounded corners, sleek and sexy. The grain apparent but so smooth.

One of a kind. Hand made and finished. Beautiful perfection.

I can say that with all the different wood REO's I own I am still amazed at each one.

And I have not even touched on performance!!!

1BlackSheep

Jan 19, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm new and I want a Woodvill! I have a MVP and a few tanks, but I really love my IGO-W. If only there were a way to extend dripping....

I'm also an adamant spinner (I spin wool and cotton, from fleece/boll to yarn), and I have several dozen spindles in various woods--I have at least one spindle in each wood listed on the Reo site now. I thought it would be cool to add a mechanical mod in a wood that I love like my spindles.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I'm new and I want a Woodvill! I have a MVP and a few tanks, but I really love my IGO-W. If only there were a way to extend dripping....

I'm also an adamant spinner (I spin wool and cotton, from fleece/boll to yarn), and I have several dozen spindles in various woods--I have at least one spindle in each wood listed on the Reo site now. I thought it would be cool to add a mechanical mod in a wood that I love like my spindles.

You don't sound like the black sheep at all - more like your gonna fit in up in here just great :)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Y'know, I hear you all talk about your Reos - the woodvil is just the topic du jour - and I have to say that there's clearly a special bond (yes, bond, not just affection).

Can you imagine ever having the same kind of passion for a smoking product? I never did (never even owned a nice lighter).

Vaping is a hobby, to be sure, but the Reo... well, it's in a whole other category all together.

Keep your thoughts on the woodies coming - I'm loving hearing every one of you.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Y'know, I hear you all talk about your Reos - the woodvil is just the topic du jour - and I have to say that there's clearly a special bond (yes, bond, not just affection).

Can you imagine ever having the same kind of passion for a smoking product? I never did (never even owned a nice lighter).

Vaping is a hobby, to be sure, but the Reo... well, it's in a whole other category all together.

Keep your thoughts on the woodies coming - I'm loving hearing every one of you.

You mean you weren't a member of RCF (real cig forum)?

My favorite threads were:

Show us pictures of your bic lighter

The Marlboro lounge

Who can hack up the biggest lunger

The downside of sparking up your cig the second you get out the door of Walmart - blocking the wrong person

Long distance .... flicking

Here, did you drop this (when you pick the one up that the guy in front of you at a stop light just dropped out his window and confront him with it)

:)

:(

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK

The Marlboro lounge

The downside of sparking up your cig the second you get out the door of Walmart - blocking the wrong person

Here, did you drop this (when you pick the one up that the guy in front of you at a stop light just dropped out his window and confront him with it)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn

The Marlboro lounge

You ever see the guy on youtube that does cig reviews? I thought it was a joke and was laughing away as he talked about the quality of the box, the feel of the filter in his teeth, etc. Turns out...it's real. I still laughed my .... off.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

The Marlboro lounge

You slay me, super_X. You really do.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
The attraction for me is wood. Each one is unique. There's no two Reo Woods that are the same. Wood is grown from mother earth and to me that counts for something. There's no smelting, forging and mining involved. Somewhere on this earth many years ago a seed got very lucky. It found its spot where it could flourish, grow and be happy. That seems to be how the natural world works without man's intervention. Because of this, its beautiful. Nature creates beauty that man can not match. Look around, take a walk. Take in the sky and clouds and stand by a river. So thats what is at the core of a woodvil for me.

There are several other features of the woodville that I prefer over a metal Reo. I spend time where its 57 degrees this time of year. When I pick up my Grand it cold. The wood while its not warm is definitely not cold. I also like the size and shape better. It fits my hands well and is more rounded so for me its more comfortable. The button is an asset. Its either on or off and its placement makes for really natural, ergonomic feel. The woods are lighter. My Woodville is about 20% lighter. Filing points and Noalox are never needed. Flat top and nipple tops both work equally as well. Its rugged enough for daily use so I have no hesitation taking it out and about with me. Its all about the wood. Wood is good.

There are advantages to the metal Reos over the woods but thats another story.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The attraction for me is wood. Each one is unique. There's no two Reo Woods that are the same. Wood is grown from mother earth and to me that counts for something. There's no smelting, forging and mining involved. Somewhere on this earth many years ago a seed got very lucky. It found its spot where it could flourish, grow and be happy. That seems to be how the natural world works without man's intervention. Because of this, its beautiful. Nature creates beauty that man can not match. Look around, take a walk. Take in the sky and clouds and stand by a river. So thats what is at the core of a woodvil for me.

There are several other features of the woodville that I prefer over a metal Reo. I spend time where its 57 degrees this time of year. When I pick up my Grand it cold. The wood while its not warm is definitely not cold. I also like the size and shape better. It fits my hands well and is more rounded so for me its more comfortable. The button is an asset. Its either on or off and its placement makes for really natural, ergonomic feel. The woods are lighter. My Woodville is about 20% lighter. Filing points and Noalox are never needed. Flat top and nipple tops both work equally as well. Its rugged enough for daily use so I have no hesitation taking it out and about with me. Its all about the wood. Wood is good.

There are advantages to the metal Reos over the woods but thats another story.

Why... that's just plain poetic. Thanks for sharing that. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread