Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Nice choice if you're looking for a sealed finish. However, shellac is dissolved in alcohol, therefore, no cleaning the mod parts with alcohol!! I mean, you can, just be careful not to spill on the finish.

If you want a simple application, the de-waxed shellac by Zinsser's is just fine, HD or Lowe's carries it. It is a clear shellac.

If you want to add some tint to the cherry, I'd order some dewaxed shellac flakes and mix your own. Most tinted shellacs in-store contain a wax. I don't exactly remember why, but during my woodworking adventures I did deduce that using de-waxed shellac is better for many reasons.

Mixing your own shellac is very simple. Choose your flakes based on level of tint/darkness you want. Order flakes. Weight you flakes based on the amount of shellac you need to make. Soak flakes in denatured alcohol & stir until dissolved. Apply. re-apply as needed. Light coats. If you mess up, wipe with alcohol and re-apply.
I always ordered my flakes from The Shellac Shack. They even have a sample pack I believe with different shades of flakes. They also have plenty of info to help you.

Yeah I've been reading lots of articles on it... so De wax shellac it is..

They say to follow up the final coat with a wax. Do or dont?

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Yeah I've been reading lots of articles on it... so De wax shellac it is..

They say to follow up the final coat with a wax. Do or dont?

Yes I remember that too now that you mention it. I used good old furniture wax over shellac, Johnson's brand I believe it was..yellow can.
I guess any wax would work, like the Howard's wax/polish I think you mentioned you have...

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Ok sweet. So all that's left to figure out before I proceed is what to do about the 510 connector.. leave it on and try to tape it off and hope I can remove the tape without messing up the finish in the end or just gut it first. Or maybe just not treat the top at all??

I figure shellac is really my only option as a surface seal other then poly but will keep the wood looking like wood.

Tonge oil is just a under the surface seal and wont do much to bring out the grain and keep it there.. unless I'm wrong but the stench and long wait times to cure would suck.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I would plug the 510 with a pencil eraser or something. If you get some shellac on the rest of the 510, you can easily clean it off. But, if you apply the shellac carefully enough, you should be fine. Use a small cloth to apply to the ends, easier to control then say, a brush.

Shellac probably is your best choice for an in-the-wood finish, although, too many coats and you'll lose the feel. You can get an in-the-wood feel with poly or non-poly varnish, but it's not easy to do, and you can quickly build the film that you don't seem to want!

Last edited:

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Ok sweet. So all that's left to figure out before I proceed is what to do about the 510 connector.. leave it on and try to tape it off and hope I can remove the tape without messing up the finish in the end or just gut it first. Or maybe just not treat the top at all??

I figure shellac is really my only option as a surface seal other then poly but will keep the wood looking like wood.

Tonge oil is just a under the surface seal and wont do much to bring out the grain and keep it there.. unless I'm wrong but the stench and long wait times to cure would suck.

I recently heard of a product called Frog tape, that will absorb what ever gets on it, painter's use it to get perfect paint lines. I have been considering what you are thinking about doing, but I will be using poly, and was going to try this tape. :)

KAS

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I recently heard of a product called Frog tape, that will absorb what ever gets on it, painter's use it to get perfect paint lines. I have been considering what you are thinking about doing, but I will be using poly, and was going to try this tape. :)

KAS

Frog tape.. heard of it. Isin't that the same as blue painters tape?

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Frog tape.. heard of it. Isin't that the same as blue painters tape?

That is what I thought also, but I guess the frog tape acts like a sponge, and will absorb the stuff. I am not really in a rush to do mine but I would like to do it.

KAS

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Just wanted to report my findings after a 2+ hour soak in howards sun shield.

Was thinking that it's strange how quick the cherry wood would seem dried out in just 24 hours after treating.. so last Wednesday I thought maybe the poor are tiny on the cherry wood. I think I've read that online. So maybe a longer oil soak is needed to give the wood more time to absorb the oil.

Anyways forgot all about it until now (4 days later) and I grab the cherry wood and was amazed I could still see the raised grain on the sides that fade when it's dry. :)

Now I have not used the mod so maybe handling it after will aid in drying it out quicker.. no idea, though I think it's a good sign.

Maybe just a longer soak.. bottle says 30 mins.. I've done an hour before doing 2 treatments.. maybe 2 hours+ is the ticket.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Freshly oiled to welcome a new atty.
1f72c1513490e6c20138cded88ef5bd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
That Woodvil was my birthday present to myself, back in July. I had talked to Rob on the phone. I already had a cocobolo, which I love the feel of. It's my favorite wood, feel wise. I wanted something a little different, keeping in mind my partiality to the coco. He suggested one with a more reddish hue, rather than the very dark, like my other one. But I was interested also in a contrasting door. So, this is what we ended up with. I love the 'tuxedo' look and feel.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
What a great story!
Haven't had much time for it lately, but I do some woodworking at home. Small, but well equipped shop. One of my most prized pieces is a maple night stand I made for my youngest daughter. Lots of hand tool work, using lots of older methods(hand tools, classic joinery). Stand is made from some nice hard & sugar maples, and I did some Purple Heart inlay on the top. As soon as I saw the Purple Heart/Maple woodies, I knew I had to have one!! My first pick was one with a quilted maple door, but didn't make it through checkout, but birdseye is nice too.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Just have to pop in and say I truly cannot fathom a better mod than the woodvil. For metal squonkers I've branched out recently and I know there's other wood squonkers too, many look awesome - but not to the level of woodvil, nowhere near it. If for no other reason than the button location. How darned comfortable and relaxing is it to vape a woodvil? :wub:

Love my wood man :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Just have to pop in and say I truly cannot fathom a better mod than the woodvil. For metal squonkers I've branched out recently and I know there's other wood squonkers too, many look awesome - but not to the level of woodvil, nowhere near it. If for no other reason than the button location. How darned comfortable and relaxing is it to vape a woodvil? :wub:

Love my wood man :)

Nothing vapes better than a Woodvil, for me. I love the button location; I love the feel.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yeah agree on the woodvile. Why I hurried up and sold off my 2 metal reos just to buy more woods!

Though I did buy 2 more metals since thanks to the mini and grabbed a sl black anno I've always wanted to mod but that project is on hold for the winter when I have time.

Metal still has its place and is needed for those certain jobs.

The shape and button location is everything when your holding a mod all day long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread