• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Worth reading and acting upon: If I close my eyes, will it go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
If I close my eyes, will it go away?

April 22, 11:19 AM Penny Eims
resized_tommy.jpg

5-month old Tommy, facing euthanasia if a
Florida foster home can not be secured
Eyes of an Angel Pet Rescue

Gassing chambers still being used in parts of the United States to kill cats and dogs at animal shelters.

Heart-sticking cats and dogs at animal shelters in the United States.

Owners chaining their dogs, forgetting to feed them, or provide them with water. Many abused, most forgotten.

List after list after list of adoptable cats and dogs scheduled for euthanasia at over-crowded shelters.

Of course, the answer is no. But too many people do not want to see the horrors that are afflicted on our society's cats and dogs.

Too many good pet owners are content to live in their own bubble of contentment. Enjoying their happy cat or dog - providing good ownership and lots of love, but closed off to the horrors that befall the unlucky cats and dogs all around us.

If we close our eyes to abused children - the abuse does not stop. If we choose not to see the homeless or the hungry, the need does not go away.

I would encourage you to please get involved in some way. There are multiple ways for everyone to be involved.
Sign a petition that supports the end of heart-sticking and gas chambers for United States animal shelters.

Follow the Gig Harbor business-woman's lead and post a pet of the week flier at your place of business.
Choose a local shelter that you visit and take photos for the flier - it's easy and it helps.

Foster a homeless cat or dog (I'm going to voice a pet peeve here - I hear it again and again - it's too hard for me to foster - I will be sad when the dog or cat is adopted. If you open your eyes, will you be sad when that cat or dog that you could have fostered is euthanized at an over-crowded shelter?)

Adopt your next cat or dog. Do not buy your next pet from an irresponsible breeder or a pet store. Help stop the breeding madness that has taken over our society.

Spay and neuter your own pets. Do not contribute to the unwanted animals that are dying day after day.

Donate to a local cat or dog rescue, or to your local animal shelter. Visit Petfinder.com to find a shelter or rescue near you.

Report cases of neglect or abuse when you see it. If you drive by a house with a dog chained to a tree, suffering through the elements without shelter, food or water - please pick up the phone and call animal control or the police and report the problem. Don't close your eyes and pretend that it will go away.

If you hear about an injured dog, such as Courage, who is being nurtured back to health after suffering abuse, please donate.

The German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County did not hesitate to step up for Courage's medical expenses, even knowing that they would be high. Happily, many, many people did open their eyes to his abuse, and they did open their pocketbooks to support his recovery.

Contact a local dog or cat rescue and find out if you can donate items, or perhaps help with transporting animals in need to/from foster homes, vet appointments, or even on cross-country road trips. Rescues are desperate for people that are willing and able to help. Once you try, you will realize just how easy it is to make a difference.

Bearing witness to animal cruelty is not an easy task, but closing your eyes to the problem will not make it go away. Please do your part, in some way, to help those cats and dogs who do not have a voice.

If you have not yet watched the video (related articles box to the upper left of this article) about doing "just one thing", please do. It is heart-warming and shows the power of taking a moment to make a difference.

If you are interested in receiving future dog-related articles, including news, tips and advice, please click the Subscribe Icon. It's free. Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing this article with others.
If you have a story idea that you would like to share, please email me directly at Eims1@live.com.

Youthful313

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI
I donate to the Michigan Humane Society at least once if not twice a year. I volunteer to walk dogs when I can as well. I do this b/c I'm in school right now and my duplex doesn't allow pets or I would have already adopted one of the many pitbulls that Michigan puts to sleep b/c of the ignorance of ppl. Makes me wanna scream "ITS NOT THE DOGS FAULT ITS THE OWNER FAULT IF THEY ARE BAD!!!". It's really is sad when ppl neglect or abuse their animals. I don't understand how ppl can do that and look at themselves in the mirror.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Thanks for the info, the Gig Harbor one is a few miles from me and the Tacoma/Pierce Co. animal shelter is the saddest place to visit because I just want to take them all home.

2 of my min pins were rescues from a less than honorable breeder. I will post some pics soon and you can unfortunately still see scars on one's head. All of my remaining 4 cats were rescues as well. I can't take on any more but I donate money to the animal shelter when I can.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2010
    Toronto Canada
    www.happyvaper.com
    I have to admit to being the biggest coward when it comes to animals. If I see a squirrel running across the street, I can't bear to watch it. But ABUSE? I don't care WHO has the animal, go after them to the full extent of the law. Better yet, if you CAN, get the animal out of there YOURSELF. 9 out of 10 times the ... will get their dog/cat back anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread