Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The Protank heads will not last as long as the right cartomizer. But as someone said, they are rebuildable.

To me, 1.90 every few weeks is not bad for the convenience for the Carto.

Heh. Get back to me about that if your cartos are lasting 5 weeks - that's what I'm getting out of ProTank & T3 coils with cleaning.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Carto's are sometimes a hit or miss affair. Ive had carto's in a tank last 2 months. I've also had about 6 carto's no joke one right after the other die after less than 6 draws on them. I was not happy at all especially considering these were boge carto's and supposed to be the best. I did nothing different from any other time I fill a carto. Fill it up, put it in the tank, fill the tank, let it sit for an hour or overnight even, turn the voltage to lowest setting, hit it, bump the voltage till I get a decent vapor, then check the ohms to make sure I can go up more. In every case I get it to just after checking the ohms and bumping it to 3.4 volts and the carto fries. These are supposed to be 2.6 to 3.0 ohm cartos. I'm about to order a pro tank 2 once they hit the market just to ttry my hand at something different.
So carto's and tanks can be a pain in the ..... However, when they do work nicely, they work like a champ and you get good flavor, and great vapes. Those times the carto fries however can be a real nast and giant pain in the A**. Just my :2c:.

It's kind of ironic to hear your point of view. I am interested in carto tanks as a means to avoid the hassles with the Protank. Each time I get a 5 pack of Protank heads, I'm lucky if 2 of them don't suck terribly. I'm so tired of the hit and miss with the Protank heads. Sure, I could rebuild them, but I have a 3 day old daughter at home and a few home renovations I'm still catching up on, so even simple things like rebuilding a head is something that just isn't really in the cards.

I keep reading about these pre-slotted cartos, and even if they're not there's a tool on some vape site (MVS I think?) that's 5 bucks to punch them. That, to me, sounds like an incredibly amazing deal assuming I can get a better experience out of it. I continually re-visit the Protank in an effort to let it shine as many people have said in regard to their experiences, but I just can't get the thing to work in any tolerable way. I may venture up to the vape shop tomorrow nearby and see what they have in stock... I can only hope I get a better experience out of this. So far, the one and only thing that hasn't driven me absolutely crazy is the Vivi Nova.

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
I personally MUCH more prefer the Protank/Protank 2.

You see, I started with the vivi nova and hated it and developed a hatred for clearomizers. Then, from recommendation by an ECF member I went to the OCD tanks, I primarily used boges and I really loved it. I thought I found the holy grail. BUT, I started growing a taste for more than just tobacco juice and that left an issue in my vape convenience. I started hoarding countless bakery juices, fruit juices, tea juices, exotic/novelty juices and with a bunch of free samples from different vendors and the idea of having to dedicate a carto to EACH of these juices really became a hassle. I don't have the time or money to have a carto for each juice. Plus, for me at least, as my taste improved I realized my juices don't taste right after a week in the carto, and that the carto taints the flavor of my juice. So I heard about the Protank, I said "Well, if people who hated the vivi nova like it, I might.". Then I fell in love. The draw was wonderful, WAY more vapor, WAY better and cleaner flavor and I can change flavors in the blink of an eye, I don't have to worry about getting that dull hit you inevitably get with carto tanks. And now with the protank 2 I can use my drips tips again. Also, I can rebuild the heads myself and they perform perfect(I rebuild them as soon as I get them). No dry hits and the heads last much longer than a week. I am a happy camper. :)

Now I mainly use the Protank/ Protank 2 but I still keep my OCD tanks for my tobacco juices and I use an Igo-L for my "treat" juices at night time.

It's all personal preference, but the pro's of the Protank(pun not intended)outweigh the cons of dealing with cartos for me.

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
It's kind of ironic to hear your point of view. I am interested in carto tanks as a means to avoid the hassles with the Protank. Each time I get a 5 pack of Protank heads, I'm lucky if 2 of them don't suck terribly. I'm so tired of the hit and miss with the Protank heads. Sure, I could rebuild them, but I have a 3 day old daughter at home and a few home renovations I'm still catching up on, so even simple things like rebuilding a head is something that just isn't really in the cards.

I keep reading about these pre-slotted cartos, and even if they're not there's a tool on some vape site (MVS I think?) that's 5 bucks to punch them. That, to me, sounds like an incredibly amazing deal assuming I can get a better experience out of it. I continually re-visit the Protank in an effort to let it shine as many people have said in regard to their experiences, but I just can't get the thing to work in any tolerable way. I may venture up to the vape shop tomorrow nearby and see what they have in stock... I can only hope I get a better experience out of this. So far, the one and only thing that hasn't driven me absolutely crazy is the Vivi Nova.

Rebuilding the heads is not as time consuming as it seems. You can rebuild one head before a single skit from Saturday night live is over. :)

Abbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I have ..umm well, too many tanks kanger and otherwise. I admit the most expensive thus far is the Kanger 2. Its fun to play with. I have several different RBAs coming and will play around with rebuilding coils and wicks.

If you have something that works for you personally then really understand what motivates you. I like to tinker so I have things to tinker with. I know that I will play with RBAs regardless of whether or not they work better than my other tanks.

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
I've got both on order... because as GSR stated, they are different beasties. The deal with carto tanks is that some folks have one or two... while others have 20 or 30 - yet it seems that folks with ProTanks seldom have more than two. I might have two if they come out with a PT mini 2... but I can almost guarantee that I'll keep buying carto tanks into the dozens... at least, until my wife kills me in my sleep. ;-)

Take a look at Valley View Vapes carto tanks too. Great company, great product... the $15 premium polypro tanks with side fill are really a nice piece of kit for the money, as are the Pyrex side fills.

C

Concur with Gsr1379 and State O' Flux. I have a pair of Valley View Sidewinder pyrex tanks and several ProTank2's. They are different beasties. I used the Sidewinders strictly at home. The ProTank 2's are mobile. Both are flavor-neutral tanks, which is important to me.

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
But for the most part, o-rings do not come in contact with the juice, which I believe was The SystemHasFailed's point.

Having said that, what part of the Protank has rubber? Plastic maybe, but rubber? :blink:

I believe he was talking about the silicone cap that covers the post on the atomizer and the new protank 2 has a removable glass portion and the end caps have large silicone inserts much like the AGA-T2. I have both and neither have plastic in them(although the first one has glue in it). D:

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
I've got both on order... because as GSR stated, they are different beasties. The deal with carto tanks is that some folks have one or two... while others have 20 or 30 - yet it seems that folks with ProTanks seldom have more than two. I might have two if they come out with a PT mini 2... but I can almost guarantee that I'll keep buying carto tanks into the dozens... at least, until my wife kills me in my sleep. ;-)

Take a look at Valley View Vapes carto tanks too. Great company, great product... the $15 premium polypro tanks with side fill are really a nice piece of kit for the money, as are the Pyrex side fills.

C

The main reason people get dozens of Carto tanks is because there hundreds of carto tanks, differents brands, designs, etc. There are very few Protank variations. Not to mention if you like to vape different juice frequently you kinda HAVE to have a lot of carto tanks each with their own carto dedicated to one juice. Whereas you can clean, change juice, and vape a protank in 2 minutes. So having multiple protanks(more than 4)would be redundant, for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread