Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Just had to crow a bit. It was something of an ordeal and much wire was wasted, but I did it. Still don't have the hang of the Coilmaster and never did hit the ohms I was aiming for, but eventually ended up with something that's working okay.

It was frustrating, though. Steam Engine told me that six wraps would get me what I wanted--a 1.2 ohm coil--but instead it was 1.5. Five wraps yielded a 1 ohm coil, which I decided to go with. Stuck it in a Galaxies, wicked, and popped my achievement on top of a Pumper 18 (which will earn me sneers from the squonker police, but what the hey). It's vaping just fine, and I'm raring for more. I will master that darn Coilmaster, by golly.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I need some stronger reading glasses.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Just had to crow a bit. It was something of an ordeal and much wire was wasted, but I did it. Still don't have the hang of the Coilmaster and never did hit the ohms I was aiming for, but eventually ended up with something that's working okay.

It was frustrating, though. Steam Engine told me that six wraps would get me what I wanted--a 1.2 ohm coil--but instead it was 1.5. Five wraps yielded a 1 ohm coil, which I decided to go with. Stuck it in a Galaxies, wicked, and popped my achievement on top of a Pumper 18 (which will earn me sneers from the squonker police, but what the hey). It's vaping just fine, and I'm raring for more. I will master that darn Coilmaster, by golly.

With a little exposure you will be winding coils with your feet wearing construction boots in no time! Congratulations! :thumbs:

Steam’s calculations are based on pre-set values within it’s program. The wire we use are alloys which allows for a variance of materials used - so there will always be a slight difference. Not to mention, Steam does not factor in the internal resistance of your device or resistance of your atomizer. Getting close in resistance is all we can ask for!

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    F6A7C679-A8E4-4D7E-A6E6-06B5E30B22B8.gif

That’s such a great feeling, that first one :thumb:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Steam’s calculations are based on pre-set values within it’s program. The wire we use are alloys which allows for a variance of materials used - so there will always be a slight difference. Not to mention, Steam does not factor in the internal resistance of your device or resistance of your atomizer. Getting close in resistance is all we can ask for!

Quite right! And using the wrong values for leg length will also throw off the value. One has to make sure the right wire is selected, and the right ID as well. There will also be slight differences between the same number of wraps for a spaced versus a contact coil.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Way to Go Zazie! Doing your Own Coils opens up a Whole New Realm to Vaping.

There are a Few Tools that can make Coil Building a Lot Easier. But, to Me, None Compare to one of these...

s-l1600.jpg

Jeweler Magnifying Glass with Light LED Illuminated Head Loupe Headlamp New 664239260149 | eBay

The LED Light is pretty Funky. And Not really all that useful. It's the Flip Up/Down Lens that make it so Cool.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    You, my dear are officially a legend :D

Get some magnifyers like @zoiDman suggested above. Hell I struggle seeing the fine details and I've got supposedly normal vision ;)

I use the coil master with a rod in it - but instead of using it's winder thingy, I do it manually. You may or may not find this easier:

Just insert the wire end into the holes like normal, wrap it a tad around the rod, then grab the other end with pliers. Keep some tension on the pliers and use the coil master rod to loop around the wire, until you have the right amount of wraps.

I got a new coil master v4 coiling jig - so I plan to play with that to see if I can get better coils from using the winder, or doing it the manual way ;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

There are a Few Tools that can make Coil Building a Lot Easier. But, to Me, None Compare to one of these...

s-l1600.jpg

Jeweler Magnifying Glass with Light LED Illuminated Head Loupe Headlamp New 664239260149 | eBay

The LED Light is pretty Funky. And Not really all that useful. It's the Flip Up/Down Lens that make it so Cool.
    My weapon of choice is one of those clamp on magnifying glass fluorescent ring desk lamps. I got it mounted on a shelf above my work area for extra height.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

Get some magnifyers like @zoiDman suggested above. Hell I struggle seeing the fine details and I've got supposedly normal vision ;)

I use the coil master with a rod in it - but instead of using it's winder thingy, I do it manually. You may or may not find this easier:

Just insert the wire end into the holes like normal, wrap it a tad around the rod, then grab the other end with pliers. Keep some tension on the pliers and use the coil master rod to loop around the wire, until you have the right amount of wraps.

I got a new coil master v4 coiling jig - so I plan to play with that to see if I can get better coils from using the winder, or doing it the manual way ;)
    Yeah I used to have a coilmaster but gave up on it. I find an old school stepped rod works better for me. Plus they’re cheap.
    upload_2019-6-28_22-15-34.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I like the Coilmaster jig. Version 3 has a rounded guide screw on the winding bit which has a tendency to jump over the wire when trying to wind. Version 4 uses an Allen bolt with more of a flat, longer profile making it sooo much easier. Ver 4 also has a slot machined into the main body for fat wire that do not fit into the securing hole.

I do not use the winding bit, but instead secure the wire onto the main body and just twist while the wire is being fed from the spool, all while keeping tension on the wire.

My stepped jig was used more as a cotton pick than a coil jig. Cat got a hold of it and it is now in that mysterious place that all missing cat toys go!

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA

s-l1600.jpg

I've had something like that in my Amazon cart for ages now. If the new reading glasses don't help enough, I'll be clicking "place order."

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA

I ended up wrapping the coil that made the grade by hand. But I'm going to give the coil jig another chance. I think I was exerting too much pressure, so my wraps overlapped.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    Congratulations @Zazie ! You’re on your way to being a Coil Master lol!

I got a magnifying desk light that uses batteries or an ac adaptor from Amazon when I started building. Thought it would be handy for 28g round wire builds. But truthfully with good lighting & readers I haven’t used my magnifying desk lamp.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread