Wrapped my first coil ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Just had to crow a bit. It was something of an ordeal and much wire was wasted, but I did it. Still don't have the hang of the Coilmaster and never did hit the ohms I was aiming for, but eventually ended up with something that's working okay.

It was frustrating, though. Steam Engine told me that six wraps would get me what I wanted--a 1.2 ohm coil--but instead it was 1.5. Five wraps yielded a 1 ohm coil, which I decided to go with. Stuck it in a Galaxies, wicked, and popped my achievement on top of a Pumper 18 (which will earn me sneers from the squonker police, but what the hey). It's vaping just fine, and I'm raring for more. I will master that darn Coilmaster, by golly.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I need some stronger reading glasses.
Great job and you are correct, it will naturally get easier and faster.
I used to have fun with wick designs as well, actually more so than wrapping because wicking is more art than science.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Good job @Zazie

I always used to do my coils around a small screwdriver by hand but I got the coilmaster jig recently and I find it keeps overlapping the wires in a coil...especially when they have a flat profile :)

And boy do I need some of those jewellers magnifying glasses....:cry:

My advice is to do what works best for you :thumb:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah I used to have a coilmaster but gave up on it. I find an old school stepped rod works better for me. Plus they’re cheap.
View attachment 823937

I also have the Coil Master kit, but I usually grab the same stepped coil coil jig you have. For common coils with plain old single strand wire it's quick and easy. For the exotic wires and fancy coils I can see how the Coil Master can make the process more manageable.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Just had to crow a bit. It was something of an ordeal and much wire was wasted, but I did it. Still don't have the hang of the Coilmaster and never did hit the ohms I was aiming for, but eventually ended up with something that's working okay.

It was frustrating, though. Steam Engine told me that six wraps would get me what I wanted--a 1.2 ohm coil--but instead it was 1.5. Five wraps yielded a 1 ohm coil, which I decided to go with. Stuck it in a Galaxies, wicked, and popped my achievement on top of a Pumper 18 (which will earn me sneers from the squonker police, but what the hey). It's vaping just fine, and I'm raring for more. I will master that darn Coilmaster, by golly.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I need some stronger reading glasses.

giphy.gif

I use the rod from the coil master kit and a pair of small vice grip pliers attached to each end of the wire to wrap my coils by hand. I like the control of wrapping by hand and the pliers add a bit of extra weight to keep tension on the wire. I never could get a decent coil using just the Coil Master little nub guide thingy (I think that’s the technical term for it :lol:)

E2EC4F9B-1698-47BE-A53B-1B79E9EEAB09.jpeg A6979BEA-3B76-479F-8394-BB500A173A1E.jpeg B07DD7C6-C397-4EAF-80D3-C61B81D6537B.jpeg 44F6ECCA-4AB2-4448-A063-7A9010B85ABB.jpeg

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Zazie congrats!! I know how "big" that first coil is and it's all downhill from here.

I'm not saying you are going to make exotic twisted wire using a drill tomorrow. I mean you MIGHT, but it WILL get easier.

Anan
When did you change your name Anna?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh. You may not know what happened yesterday.

But usually, it's typos. Anan, Amma. Anja whatever.

I have been called many things in life and be it sacred or profane, I will like answer to it.

OMG NOTES in two minutes. I have never started this early. I have also never had THIS MANY notes. Egad.

Anna

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Zazie congrats!! I know how "big" that first coil is and it's all downhill from here.

I'm not saying you are going to make exotic twisted wire using a drill tomorrow. I mean you MIGHT, but it WILL get easier.

Anan
Next stop, a Twisted Messes wickless coil!

(I kid.)

• Agree
Reactions: greek mule

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Congratulations! My first coils were done by hand on a 16g blunt tip needle. The Front Porch peeps babysat me vis Google Hangouts while I installed it & fired it the first time. I wanted witnesses to approve the process & call 911 if needed! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] I started using a coiler shortly after that. My hands & fingers just can't handle the strain. My coiler is a lifesaver. You'll get better quickly!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread